Southampton Weather Sunday 20th February

RJChatsworth

We are due to embark QE on this day!  I see the forecast wind speed is 18/19 mph up until about 0700.  From 0800 the forecast is 40+ mph through until about 2100 that evening when it reduces to 20 mph.  I know forecasts are sometime unreliable but if it is reliable I wonder whether QE will return early that morning or not at all that day!

I think if the forecast was 18/19 mph until  07.00 they are likely to get in early and tie up on a berth, disembark the passengers. Then get the next passenger group embarked and consider sailing off later than their pre-planned time.  I don't think they want to stay out at sea with lots of people who have flights booked in increasingly  rough sea conditions whilst the newcomers have to plan where to sleep in the absence of the ship.

Just my opinion.

Regards John

• Haha 1

I agree John.  I think QE was originally supposed to be in Lisbon today but they reversed the order of this 2-port 7-day cruise.  The ship is now in Cadiz which gives an opportunity to return to Southampton earlier, compared with Lisbon.  I wonder if that is why they reversed the order of port visits.  If so much foresight!

I recall going on Queen Victoria on a five day Christmas shopping itinerary.  There were three ports scheduled but storms forecast near the first.  From the get go the itinerary was reversed but the final port was not available on that day so they switched to Rotterdam out of the blue.  Some people were miffed but I thought we got three ports not two and the day of visiting each was somewhat irrelevant.

Regards John

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

I agree John.  I think QE was originally supposed to be in Lisbon today but they reversed the order of this 2-port 7-day cruise.  The ship is now in [Vigo] which gives an opportunity to return to Southampton earlier, compared with Lisbon.  I wonder if that is why they reversed the order of port visits.  If so much foresight!

I think the main reason they reversed the itinerary was because of the late start QE got out of Southampton on Sunday. Because of bad weather with high winds that day, they weren't able to depart until about 11:00pm as I recall. As a result, their call at Vigo as originally scheduled would have been cut short. Instead, they went straight to Lisbon, cut the call there to just one day, and are picking up Vigo on the back end today.

It is indeed fortuitous or good planning that the change in itinerary should allow QE to get back to Southampton early on Sunday morning if necessary.

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I see QE's departure time today is listed as 22:00 on the Southampton VTS website. Looks like she'll be having another late departure similar to last week when the weather also delayed her departure.

Im not at all sure the local weather is going to be any better by then. We are forecast strong winds all night.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Spirit of Discovery just aborted their planned 16:45 departure (now).

Looking at the weather outside, if I were on board, I should want to stay sheltered in Southampton as long as possible, but then I am a weed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Spirit of Discovery just aborted their planned 16:45 departure (now).

Spirit of Discovery now showing 0830 tomorrow as departure time on VTS. No change to QE yet but the shipping forecast is not good - showing Storm Force 10 in Wight and Portland overnight

Edited by Matelot70

7 minutes ago, Matelot70 said:

VTS is now showing PM tomorrow for QE. This run of winter storms is certainly causing some problems. 

That timing would make me very happy were if I were a passenger. What is happening to the ships that are supposed to be arriving tomorrow?

We were due to sail at 10pm and then the Captain revised it to some time tomorrow!  He said he couldn’t be more specific yet.  We have two tugs holding us against the quay.

The day didn’t start well.  Arrived at 1145 at Mayflower Terminal for Cunard LFT.  It was closed, demolished in the wind.  Cunard didn’t advise us.  The dock gatekeeper advised the procession of cars to go to Ocean Terminal where the test would be done.  Arrived there, one of the first cars, but CPS seemed in disarray as only one checker in so had to sit in the car for 45 minutes.  It’s normally a slick operation.  Got tested, waited about 25 minutes for ping and then went to check in and security.  The latter was slow.  Insufficient conveyors in operation.  We made Queens Grill restaurant just before it shut at 2.30 and had an excellent lunch.  Four only in lifts. Restricted seating in theatre.  Queens Room afternoon tea open from tomorrow.  Masks as normal.

We wake up on QE to a beautifully sunny morning in Southampton Docks.  No news yet about sailing. 13 more nights here would save a lot of fuel!

The Captain is new to us, Stephen Howarth.  So is the Entertainment Director, Canadian born Michael Harvey.  On his first outing this voyage he seems refreshingly different.  A bit of a comedian who talks at 100 miles an hour so you have to stay awake!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

We were due to sail at 10pm and then the Captain revised it to some time tomorrow!  He said he couldn’t be more specific yet.  We have two tugs holding us against the quay.

The day didn’t start well.  Arrived at 1145 at Mayflower Terminal for Cunard LFT.  It was closed, demolished in the wind.  Cunard didn’t advise us.  The dock gatekeeper advised the procession of cars to go to Ocean Terminal where the test would be done.  Arrived there, one of the first cars, but CPS seemed in disarray as only one checker in so had to sit in the car for 45 minutes.  It’s normally a slick operation.  Got tested, waited about 25 minutes for ping and then went to check in and security.  The latter was slow.  Insufficient conveyors in operation.  We made Queens Grill restaurant just before it shut at 2.30 and had an excellent lunch.  Four only in lifts. Restricted seating in theatre.  Queens Room afternoon tea open from tomorrow.  Masks as normal.

Glad you made it in time for lunch. That must have improved the day considerably.

Chatsworth.  Hope you eventually have a good cruise after your cancellation of the one we were also on last month.

Never heard of the Captain you are sailing with, but will find out about him next month🤞. Captain Inger Thorhauge returns in May, I believe.

Safe sailing.

5 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Chatsworth.  Hope you eventually have a good cruise after your cancellation of the one we were also on last month.

Never heard of the Captain you are sailing with, but will find out about him next month🤞. Captain Inger Thorhauge returns in May, I believe.

Safe sailing.

Thanks LadyL1 for your good wishes.  Yes this is our second attempt to sail this year!

20 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Captain just announced 50 knot winds but hoping there might be an opportunity to sail at 4pm.  First port of call Lanzarote is cancelled.

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about Lanzarote.

Have a good trip when you eventually do manage to sail !