Which London airport LCY or LHR from Edinburgh

milolii

Hello, we are investigating flying from Edinburgh to London.  I am also looking at the train, but I do see a note about possible engineering delays on my dates. So not too sure about the train now. 

We are returning to London to fly home at the end of a 14 day trip, so we just want to get directly there.   Our London Hotel is at Hyde Park, near the Queensway tube station.  

Avoiding LHR sounds great.  However, looking at London City, it appears it will also be about an hour from the airport to the hotel.  We would arrive about 0930-1000. BA seems to have some flights that would meet our needs. 

Having luggage, I do not think we will use public transportation from the train or airports. Done that many times and would prefer a taxi this time.  

Any thoughts?  

ty 

Well,  my first thought is that the engineering works delay would have to be pretty significant for me not to want to take the train. Have never been on the route, but have seen the YouTube videos, and the scenery is rather beautiful - as are the trains. Check The Man in Seat 61's London to Edinburgh page for more info.

But if you must fly, I would have a hard time justifying going to LHR over LCY. While LCY isn't exactly right beside your hotel, it still is London, and any taxi ride would be infinitely more interesting than the trek from Heathrow.

So basically, my order of preference would be:

-Train

-LCY

-LHR

If your hotel is near the Queensway station, you might want to think a little more about flying into LHR, taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington then using a taxi from there to your hotel.  Presumably, you'll want to do much the same thing in reverse when leaving London for home.

LCY to your hotel will involve crossing pretty much the entirety of London from east to west.... yikes!

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

LCY to your hotel will involve crossing pretty much the entirety of London from east to west.... yikes!

LCY and LHR by road to Queensway at that time of day won’t be much different, although the OP hasn’t said what day of the week. Delays are common, but unpredictable, and either route could be anywhere between 1 hour and 1 hour 45 minutes. As always, booking a car in advance is better than a taxi off the rank. 

LCY would likely be a better airport experience, but don’t forget that the often most significant delay at LHR, border control, won’t apply to domestic flights. But they can feel like an afterthought in the layout and may involve a bus to the terminal (to get to the domestic gates) and  baggage will usually be quicker at LCY, in my experience. 

There are two train lines between Edinburgh and London, known as West Coast and East Coast. The East Coast is the most popular, but it's unlikely (but not impossible) there will both have engineering works the same date. If you would much prefer to take the train, you might want to do more research. Having done both, you will save about 1-2 hours door to door flying vs taking the train.

LCY is a much nicer experience than LHR, as it's much smaller, and will involve much less walking from plane to entrance. There will be taxi's outside, or you can order an uber, which will require a short walk to the short stay car park.