Wait, sandals???

kjbacon

1 minute ago, Roccaforte said:

For women it’s fine to wear dressy sandals even if they are flat at dining venues.    I’ve seen people turned away at the cooking class because of their open toe shoes.  They told us it was a safety requirement.  Understandable.  

Yes  I had to put on my closed toed shoes for the classes

To lighten your day my husband by mistake put on a green docker shoe and a dark red one  it was a bit dark in our room. Well the head waiter , a woman got the biggest kick out of this.

After all he had port & starboard shoes and even another pair just like them in his cabin!

The only thing I have seen turned away is men with shorts in the Terrace at night (lunch ok), more suitable on the aft deck.

I know the dress Crocks you mean and that should be fine. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cswhistler said:

The only thing I have seen turned away is men with shorts in the Terrace at night (lunch ok), more suitable on the aft deck.

must have pretty bad looking shorts to be turned away from the Terrace🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, navelgunner said:

There is a lot of judging going on here.  Please consider that not all people wear size 6, and some have health issues that limit the type of shoes they can wear comfortably.

Where there are expectations, judging will follow...but exceptions can be made.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

And I'm bringing cute flat sandals if people don't like them oh well.

You indicated that you are going on your first Oceania cruise. When you come on board you will probably notice that most Oceania cruisers do care how others feel being around them and show respect. 

I’m not sure what restaurants you frequent to go for dinner on land, but we don’t see any Crocs in the fine dining venues neither on land nor on the cruise lines we choose to sail, Oceania being one of them.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, osandomir said:

You indicated that you are going on your first Oceania cruise. When you come on board you will probably notice that most Oceania cruisers do care how others feel being around them and show respect. 

I’m not sure what restaurants you frequent to go for dinner on land, but we don’t see any Crocs in the fine dining venues neither on land nor on the cruise lines we choose to sail, Oceania being one of them.

For the 3rd time, I'm not wearing CROCS CLOGS.  They are Crocs sandals.  You do you dude.  I'm happy with my choice.  I have beautiful dresses to go along with my footwear,  I doubt anyone will be looking at my shoes. 

Looked at the crocs website OP provided and it states: CLASSIC CROCS BLEACH DYE SANDAL. Did see some nice low wedges that would be appropriate.  Note: no heels are required on Oceania.  As others have said cute and appropriate for the Terrace, Waves, the Pool and of course the beach.

• Like 2

Wow, that was quite a storm over a couple pages. So let’s sum it up, shall we? Foam and or plastic flip flops that one buys at the dollar store are not permitted in the indoor dining venues (men or women). Sandals on women are fine whether or not the other guy likes them or chooses the same brand and style as I do (even if they think they go to better restaurants than I do or they feel qualified to determine what is and what isn’t suitable).

Yet to be determined is whether or not men can wear sandals as opposed to flip flops (and if there is legal basis to pursue this). Also pending is whether or not men or women can or should wear a jock strap over or under a tuxedo. Another important outstanding question is why anyone would care what sandal style someone else chooses.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, osandomir said:

I am an Oceania ( and Regent) cruiser and just wanted to say that not ALL of us are so judgy and obsessed with what other people wear on their bodies or feet!

Clean, neat, consistent with resort casual is all you need to know.

what gets to me is the people who think it is ok to wander around the ship in their bathrobes wearing nothing but their underwear- and yes I have seen this on multiple Oceania and Regent cruises.  I’m not going to stick my nose up at someone wearing pretty flip flops or crocs.  I don’t care what other people think of my attire.  Orthopedic shoes are not attractive but some people need to wear them- should they be judged for their footwear?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, calicakes said:

For the 3rd time, I'm not wearing CROCS CLOGS.  They are Crocs sandals.  You do you dude.  I'm happy with my choice.  I have beautiful dresses to go along with my footwear,  I doubt anyone will be looking at my shoes. 

Just cover the Logo, and you'll be the only one that knows. Or take a tip from an earlier post and have your husband wear mismatched shoes. They will not even notice yours.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Just cover the Logo, and you'll be the only one that knows. Or take a tip from an earlier post and have your husband wear mismatched shoes. They will not even notice yours.

I'm sure we'll be noticed for other reasons, as we are a same sex couple.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cswhistler said:

To lighten your day my husband by mistake put on a green docker shoe and a dark red one  it was a bit dark in our room. Well the head waiter , a woman got the biggest kick out of this.

After all he had port & starboard shoes and even another pair just like them in his cabin!

I have a related story to this. Years ago in another life when I worked at a large company I happened to scoot back from my desk and cross my legs and noticed for the first time that day I had two different styles of shoes on. In my defense they were both brown. It was about half in to the day. I didn't mingle much for the rest of the day. 

2nd point, especially for those that haven't been on Oceania before. Shorts are acceptable attire at all times in the Terrace. Only in some people's opinion are they not suitable for dinner there. The only type shorts I could imagine a person being turned away from there in the evening(or any other time) would be swimming trunks, those aren't acceptable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here’s the bottom line on the issue. The Maitre de/ hostess at each restaurant makes the call on what’s appropriate and acceptable dress based upon their interpretation of the rules and general mood then and there. Some are more stickler to the rules, while others are more lax. There is little to no consistency with the calls. What might get one into a restaurant tonight may very well get you sent to change tomorrow.

The only consistency I’ve witnessed is that even upon a passenger’s plea for review, the restaurant manager has never overriden the hostess’s call. Therefore, as a fellow passenger, our only request is that if you’re denied entry because of perceived dress code violation(s) please don’t hold up the line making a fuss and/or scene. Please politely, quietly, and quickly return to your cabin and correct such deficiencies or go eat in the Terrace. Making a scene has never gotten anyone entry that I have witnessed. I don’t believe that is too much to ask. 

I have witnessed men being refused entry into the Specialties for wearing thong sandals/flip flops made out of other than plastic. In most cases they were highly obvious because of the tight legged pants they were wearing. Flip flops are flip flops regardless of make of material , plastic or otherwise. I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed a woman being turned away. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2022 at 7:13 PM, pinotlover said:

Here’s the bottom line on the issue. The Maitre de/ hostess at each restaurant makes the call on what’s appropriate and acceptable dress based upon their interpretation of the rules and general mood then and there. Some are more stickler to the rules, while others are more lax. There is little to no consistency with the calls. What might get one into a restaurant tonight may very well get you sent to change tomorrow.

The only consistency I’ve witnessed is that even upon a passenger’s plea for review, the restaurant manager has never overriden the hostess’s call. Therefore, as a fellow passenger, our only request is that if you’re denied entry because of perceived dress code violation(s) please don’t hold up the line making a fuss and/or scene. Please politely, quietly, and quickly return to your cabin and correct such deficiencies or go eat in the Terrace. Making a scene has never gotten anyone entry that I have witnessed. I don’t believe that is too much to ask. 

I have witnessed men being refused entry into the Specialties for wearing thong sandals/flip flops made out of other than plastic. In most cases they were highly obvious because of the tight legged pants they were wearing. Flip flops are flip flops regardless of make of material , plastic or otherwise. I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed a woman being turned away. Enjoy your cruise.

You might be right though what I’ve seen on Regent is that it’s pathetic passengers who run and tattletale to the host/ess hoping to start a problem. That’s what draws attention to a situation. Years ago, I remember an incident when a very well dressed man had on slacks and a sport coat over a non collared shirt … believe it or not, someone ran to report him and made quite a scene. The whole place stopped what they were doing to watch the mess. I’m not sure that I’ve ever noticed what anyone else is wearing but I am sure that I’m far more interested in my husband and the beautiful venue that I’m in rather than someone else’s fashion choice 3 tables over.

It’s interesting that Regent, which is an upgrade from Oceania, may have the more reasonable dress code. It’s also possible that they are the same dress codes but the wording is awkward at best for Oceania. If that’s the case, Oceania should correct their wording quickly to make it clear. Telling me that I am not permitted to wear sandals in the tropics is no different than telling me that I can’t wear a sweater when I’m in Iceland later this year.

As a regular Regent cruiser, I will be comparing everything else anyway so we will see! We will find out soon as I will be wearing sandals every night on my Caribbean cruise as I expect most other women will too. Socks and pantyhose didn’t make my packing list for the tropics.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kjbacon said:

As a regular Regent cruiser, I will be comparing everything else anyway so we will see! We will find out soon as I will be wearing sandals every night on my Caribbean cruise as I expect most other women will too. Socks and pantyhose didn’t make my packing list for the tropics.

Why compare  just enjoy Oceania for what it is ?

Pantyhose ?? do people still wear those 😄

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 6:13 PM, pinotlover said:

I have witnessed people being refused in Terrace Cafe in the evening because he was wearing swim shorts and t shirt and she was wearing a beach cover up. They obviously came straight from shore excursion, still had towel and beach bag in hand. They quietly left and returned.  

5 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

I have witnessed people being refused in Terrace Cafe in the evening because he was wearing swim shorts and t shirt and she was wearing a beach cover up. They obviously came straight from shore excursion, still had towel and beach bag in hand. They quietly left and returned.  

that makes sense  for dinner

We have been sailing on Oceania for 15 years and my wife can not wear anything but a sandal. She wears Fit Flops with a lot of “bling” for the evenings and has never been challenged. We have heard the stories and we questioned our butler at the time and he said not to worry,  just tell them XXX said they were OK  

Just go and enjoy yourselves and the Finest Cuisine at Sea.

Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Why compare  just enjoy Oceania for what it is ?

Pantyhose ?? do people still wear those 😄

We all compare everything everyday. Do you prefer fish or steak, the beach or the mountains, msnbc or fox, late nights or early mornings? Besides, which line should I book next??

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We all compare everything everyday. Do you prefer fish or steak, the beach or the mountains, msnbc or fox, late nights or early mornings? Besides, which line should I book next??

fish or steak is a choice  not a comparison

If you had a steak that looked like a fish & were deciding what was  better  that would be  a comparison