Asian Food On Celebrity (EDGE) or Other Ships

LGW59

I know they do not have a dedicated Asian restaurant on EDGE, yes I know they have sushi.  My husband is wondering if in the buffet do they have a station dedicated to authentic Asian cuisine?  If so, is it everyday or just on certain days/nights?  I've been on EDGE 1x and as I am not a buffet person, I may reconsider when I cruise again if the crew are still serving, he on the other hand would go specifically for real Asian cuisine. 

先感谢您

On 2/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, LGW59 said:

I know they do not have a dedicated Asian restaurant on EDGE, yes I know they have sushi.  My husband is wondering if in the buffet do they have a station dedicated to authentic Asian cuisine?  If so, is it everyday or just on certain days/nights?  I've been on EDGE 1x and as I am not a buffet person, I may reconsider when I cruise again if the crew are still serving, he on the other hand would go specifically for real Asian cuisine. 

先感谢您

Occasionally was offered on our EDGE cruise in the buffet.  But not a dedicated station and definitely not authentic.  Think buffet Asian at a mall food court.

• Thanks 1

Depends what kind of food you are looking for. You have chefs from various Asian countries on board, hence you can ask if specific dishes can be prepared by them for dinner at MDR fo you if you pre order for instance. On the buffet, the most authentic dishes you would find are the Indian dishes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alakegirl said:

A little more information about what you are seeking would be helpful. Japanese? Sichuan? Thai? Korean? Mongolian? Vietnamese?

We were wondering about authentic Chinese, not the American version.  Just wondered if perhaps they did a theme night on longer cruises.  The only American Chinese food that my husband will eat is lobster sauce over white rice, anything else, no way.  Chinese beef and pork etc is prepared very very differently than we do here but we do love the Indian food on board.  

This is from the Edge, their Oceanview has an Asian station, I didn't go everyday but can't recall a buffet "Asian theme" day/night.  They always had one fried rice and one noodle dish, then things like orange/sesame chicken, kung pow, etc.  The themes menu selection appear in the "Chef's Favorite" section of the buffet.  One lunch they had a live cooking station with Ramen.

CelDec-9012-1568934734.webp 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

This is from the Edge, their Oceanview has an Asian station, I didn't go everyday but can't recall a buffet "Asian theme" day/night.  They always had one fried rice and one noodle dish, then things like orange/sesame chicken, kung pow, etc.  The themes menu selection appear in the "Chef's Favorite" section of the buffet.  One lunch they had a live cooking station with Ramen.

Yes I remember this on EDGE but it was what I referred to as similar to Asian/Chinese food in a Food Court at a mall.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks!  Kung Pao he would definitely eat and the live Ramen cooking station would be fun, he LOVES noodles, often has them for breakfast, now if they have dumplings as well, I would never get him out of there.

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I remember this on EDGE but it was what I referred to as similar to Asian/Chinese food in a Food Court at a mall.

This is really no different than any of the international cuisine they serve.  Their Mexican food is worse than Taco Bell. Their Italian is hardly authentic (spaghetti AND meatballs would never be served together in Italy).  Hawaiian pizza, barbecue pizza, horrors!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

We were wondering about authentic Chinese, not the American version.  Just wondered if perhaps they did a theme night on longer cruises.  The only American Chinese food that my husband will eat is lobster sauce over white rice, anything else, no way.  Chinese beef and pork etc is prepared very very differently than we do here but we do love the Indian food on board.  

If you got authentic Chinese food, you probably wouldn't eat it! All the international food is for mass market US and European taste and bears no resemblance to the proper cuisine be it Asian, Italian, Mexican or whatever.

The Chinese food on Celebrity ships is nearly non-existent. What's most reliable is for breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe will be jook and various ingredients to add flavor and spice to it. As others have said the Indian food is pretty solid. For lunchtime the Oceanview Cafe will occasionally have various curries that are more Malay/Chinese than Indian. 

Surprisingly Carnival's newest flagship,the Mardi Gras, has more authentic Chinese dishes than any Celebrity ship. Among the choices are various dim sum favorites such as sui mai, roast port bun, man tao with roast pork, steamed sticky rice with chicken in lotus leaves (!!!), And other dim sum favorites.

Edited by kwokpot

6 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

If you got authentic Chinese food, you probably wouldn't eat it! All the international food is for mass market US and European taste and bears no resemblance to the proper cuisine be it Asian, Italian, Mexican or whatever.

Well my husband is a fantastic cook and frequently prepares much of the food he grew up on, beef, pork, tofu (who knew there are SO many different types of tofu), Wuhan noodles, makes his own shrimp/pork/veggie dumplings, delish!  Now the first time we went to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, he asked if I like chicken fingers, of course I do said I.  Well when the chicken fingers arrived, they were just that, the chickens feet.  I obliged and tried them, OMG never again.  Yes, there are some authentic Chinese foods that I will not eat.  Generally though, I am willing to try most but def not all.

Edited by LGW59

1 minute ago, Alakegirl said:

This is really no different than any of the international cuisine they serve.  Their Mexican food is worse than Taco Bell. Their Italian is hardly authentic (spaghetti AND meatballs would never be served together in Italy).  Hawaiian pizza, barbecue pizza, horrors!

Italian food is generally pretty bland, they particularly use far less garlic than Americanized takes on Italian.  There are many food reaction videos of real Italians trying Olive Garden or even a top Italian restaurant in a US city.  Just imagine a typical American ordering spaghetti and meatballs made and served in a traditional Italian way on X.  They'd receive a plate of al dente (not fully cooked through, center still has a bite to it) spaghetti, they'd receive a dollop of sauce, sprinkle of cheese and would be told to come back once they're done to receive their meatballs.  The average person would compliant the spaghetti wasn't cooked, they need more sauce, they need more cheese, they're upset they had to make a second trip to receive their meatballs and they found the meatballs flavorless.

There will always be change and "attacking" traditional foods is nothing new.  Since the 90s there's been a food explosion where you take a traditional dish and make it fancy/gourmet and/or intensify the flavoring.

This was on the Millie just last weekend, it wasn't al dente, it was loaded with garlic and obviously super cheesy, I found it be the best complimentary pasta dish I've ever had on a ship including Crystal.

Z96sjGVvtx1-wp9WcRgm4W8DIKpOHXFQgJj45k3UiL-5nPD1DTDuG8IRs5u_JLXU9ZjUSWNK8pIiGKwBbtL17Eb8g6ywcFi73FmYqxTt5XDD8hFky2l2yVjqAvvi2NsWcjU4GfTiRoeZXg8WOz5r77MMFgPQHeo9XdHbqXn4uDAp9tvUO_lGUl87HKHC8pz0Rr9jEcoexZ5SUMwH5mN0FsKYSe4vGe-SwTGzUimzyS5GdyeL_itZ5dpisyc03yvCs5OAcUY5a7nsvFy29gj-Nhcb2AXCPt7pvVnBdd2x8RfHpaZU6bu3uTm_HuprUUZic8l1WnBgzum-ztvX6zNu7pKm-bFUvpXM2fX-FY9vsH2mmHG1xabtdPMDxGhTHZ6PyBK2I-DJzokx_vFA6sv6Rvm6JKlGU_NJXiufoulFyMXQxcS1RtCjzvdIdByFAjqzOAFWe3glAMRxEqHO1HxRnHZX-Py-QZwasU0ocDEpLhQsTWs36IbPG4AtTn9k8adpqIWSZDMAC6vWu345Ml_uHyM_dkFcTtiPwDhs_t5VEnDpuYTyoDQh7EkcL9Mbq9-5BtxKOLkz9zobh0RXgBICDfpocXn5HcNeJEhhvcJEFsfO_scz5Uaow_AA5fwhau1HTHCDTHGLwZZPtbk2BaASQ-lVaz590EF4pZ5MrNubhV0rXlWZH7FpA8JSRdJsjVFWPiMZX19iQM5EV-CBbjg7zfa4=w1203-h902-no?authuser=0

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

Today's (2/28) Asian breakfast offerings at the Oceanview Cafe on the Reflection. I had breakfast in Luminae so didn't taste any of this. 

PXL_20220228_143359498.jpg

PXL_20220228_143340280.jpg

Hmmm, Congee is good comfort food on a cold winter day.