Using a chromecast dongle on a Koningsdam TV

LeDemonBlond

I am wanting to  use a Chromecast Dongle on the TV in our cabin to stream downloaded content (I.E. Netflix show)  from an Ipad. Its obviously possible to do on a regular tv that you would have in your home or hotel room. In my case, it will be for a tv in a Koningsdam Inside Room. Have not done before on a cruise ship tv. I think one problem will be physically getting to the back of the tv to get to an open HDMI port as I don't think the TV's can move much from the wall .  Another problem is the  hdmi port is either not active or the input source is not possible to be changed.  

I am just wondering if someone has done this.

Your summary really hits the nail on the head!  unless you are double jointed in your very skinny hands, you will not be able to access the HDMI port.  As far as I am aware no one has reported back on the ports being active.

11 hours ago, LeDemonBlond said:

I am wanting to  use a Chromecast Dongle on the TV in our cabin to stream downloaded content (I.E. Netflix show)  from an Ipad. Its obviously possible to do on a regular tv that you would have in your home or hotel room. In my case, it will be for a tv in a Koningsdam Inside Room. Have not done before on a cruise ship tv. I think one problem will be physically getting to the back of the tv to get to an open HDMI port as I don't think the TV's can move much from the wall .  Another problem is the  hdmi port is either not active or the input source is not possible to be changed.  

I am just wondering if someone has done this.

We have used our Roku HDMI dongle at many hotels but have failed on the NS, KDam, and Rotterdam  not much room there to plug it in and as other have mentioned it may be disabled anyway

• Like 1

Here are pics of the ports (as seen from the side) and the remote from our cruise on the Zuiderdam last month.

The ports are wa-a-a-y back toward the middle of the TV, with only about 1" clearance. As you can see, the remote has no buttons for any settings, including the Input Source. I think you're out of luck, as were we.

TV ports.jpg

TV remote.jpg

I have connected to HDMI on Kdam, but on a bigger tv in a Neptune room.If you have a ruler and tape the cable to the ruler.....

And yes, how do you change inputs??? From a universal remote with codes.

Steaming video???  I have a hard time sending a text email....lol, even with the best internet package. Unless as you say, the video is pre downloaded.

Good Luck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Most frustrating as we were cruising along the California coast during the 2022 presidential election.  TV channels were unavailable most of the time, which was ridiculous especially when we were docked in San Francisco on election night.  We were on the Kdam, nice ship, but they must start catering to the needs of the older adults who have traditionally been their loyal customers.  

5 minutes ago, directress said:

Most frustrating as we were cruising along the California coast during the 2022 presidential election.  TV channels were unavailable most of the time, which was ridiculous especially when we were docked in San Francisco on election night.  We were on the Kdam, nice ship, but they must start catering to the needs of the older adults who have traditionally been their loyal customers.  

There wasn’t a presidential election in 2022.  If you had internet you could have watched it on your phone or iPad.   I agree the TV has been sketchy lately but to my knowledge the tv channels are always shutdown while in port - it must have something to do with licensing agreements. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

There wasn’t a presidential election in 2022.  If you had internet you could have watched it on your phone or iPad.   I agree the TV has been sketchy lately but to my knowledge the tv channels are always shutdown while in port - it must have something to do with licensing agreements. 

I have often watched TV channels in many ports.  Sometimes you can't get a good signal, but it's not due to some policy.   

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have often watched TV channels in many ports.  Sometimes you can't get a good signal, but it's not due to some policy.   

Recently?  I have not been able to watch tv in any port this past year. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Recently?  I have not been able to watch tv in any port this past year. 

Yes...in every port on our South Pacific and Greenland Iceland.    San Francisco didn't work well but I think that's because of the buildings - it worked in San Diego in Nov 2021 

You are also assuming that the onboard Internet will be adequate for unbroken streaming.  On cruise ships (of any line) this is a crap shoot.  We have often had no Internet (or very very slow Internet) for days at a time.

Hank

On 12/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, directress said:

Even though there was no Presidential Election in 2022, there are very expensive reasons why the television channels on the ship are so limited.

Although the ship has the equipment and technology to receive broadcasts out of the air, it is strictly illegal for them to show that programming to paying passengers.

A satellite decoding license - that would allow legal onboard re-broadcasting of the channels - would be incredibly expensive for the cruise line. HAL would then pass those costs on to you in the form of steeply increased fares.

We already know that many HAL passengers have serious allergies to steep fare hikes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Although the ship has the equipment and technology to receive broadcasts out of the air, it is strictly illegal for them to show that programming to paying passengers.

Not that it really matters to me as I barely watch TV, but it is not illegal to receive over the air TV transmissions or to show them to anyone in public.  Where it is an issue is Satellite or Cable where the provider is supplying over "their" interface, not "the air".

There can be issues, if you CHARGE for over air TV, but  showing it is not "strictly illegal".

When we did our first cruise with Holland America on the Koningsdam, we were quite surprised to discover there were plenty of films available dubbed to our mother tongue, Spanish. Two years later, on the Zuiderdam, all the Spanish dubbed films had dissapeared, and, by now, they haven't ever been back. It wasn't so difficult or expensive to maintain that feature for foreign passengers. If not, leaveing customers the opportunity to use of of those dongles would be a good option, IMO.