Price Increases from March 1.

turtlemichael

I have had several reminders that Silversea is going to increase prices from March 1 and that I should be doing bookings before that date to take advantage of existing prices. I don't have plans to book beyond what I already have in the foreseeable future, so I'll be very interested to see the size and extent of these price increases, as it seems to me to be counterintuitive to be raising prices in the current market and expecting a reasonable return. What do I know though?

It’s merely algorithmic.  Happens at the end of every promotional period.

While nearly every voyage will increase in price, as sail dates get closer if a particular voyage hasn’t sold well, that’s when you see new promotions crop up (OBC, suite upgrades, O2P, etc.).  These promotions rarely affect the fare paid. Why? Because it would put SS at risk of needing to honor their Silver Privilege guarantee, which they absolutely hate to do and is why they put the onus on the passenger to recognize a fare had been lowered. SS never ever automatically notifies previously booked passengers of a fare decrease.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s merely algorithmic.  Happens at the end of every promotional period.

While nearly every voyage will increase in price, as sail dates get closer if a particular voyage hasn’t sold well, that’s when you see new promotions crop up (OBC, suite upgrades, O2P, etc.).  These promotions rarely affect the fare paid. Why? Because it would put SS at risk of needing to honor their Silver Privilege guarantee, which they absolutely hate to do and is why they put the onus on the passenger to recognize a fare had been lowered. SS never ever automatically notifies previously booked passengers of a fare decrease.

Well it worked - I booked 3 cruises in the last 7 days (though 1 wasn't SS.) I had Credit to use and a cruise to re-date. Interestingly, the cruise I got moved (which I have previously commented had a price hike a year on of 70% ) DID get a reduction from £8600 down to £6500 which is quite a big chunk. I wonder if any early bookers were notified. If others for 2023 have had similar drops, probably a good idea to check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Well it worked - I booked 3 cruises in the last 7 days (though 1 wasn't SS.) I had Credit to use and a cruise to re-date. Interestingly, the cruise I got moved (which I have previously commented had a price hike a year on of 70% ) DID get a reduction from £8600 down to £6500 which is quite a big chunk. I wonder if any early bookers were notified. If others for 2023 have had similar drops, probably a good idea to check.

Shouldn’t your TA be on top of that—Ours checks every so often, regarding price and offers.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Shouldn’t your TA be on top of that—Ours checks every so often, regarding price and offers.

I didn't use a TA and the price drop I mentioned was to a cruise I've been transferred on to now mine has been cancelled. I just happened to spot it and  comment on the forum previously about the horrendous increase after browsing.

Actually, I stand corrected. This one WAS booked via a TA... And I had to tell them it was cancelled and the offer to swap. 

Edited by les37b

4 hours ago, les37b said:

I didn't use a TA and the price drop I mentioned was to a cruise I've been transferred on to now mine has been cancelled. I just happened to spot it and  comment on the forum previously about the horrendous increase after browsing.

Actually, I stand corrected. This one WAS booked via a TA... And I had to tell them it was cancelled and the offer to swap. 

Wow, a good TA handles that kind of stuff.  And the plus benefit is the additional perks you get from your TA.

18 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Wow, a good TA handles that kind of stuff.  And the plus benefit is the additional perks you get from your TA.

I got 10% off the first booking from the TA (on top of the onboard 5% and VS 5%.

They didn't however inform me (a) the cruise was cancelled and (b) the offer on the table. Indeed SS hadn't informed them.

I was however given the nod by SS a week before that email, which was because it was tied in with another booking I was making. That info was certainly before any TA knew.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I got 10% off the first booking from the TA (on top of the onboard 5% and VS 5%.

They didn't however inform me (a) the cruise was cancelled and (b) the offer on the table. Indeed SS hadn't informed them.

I was however given the nod by SS a week before that email, which was because it was tied in with another booking I was making. That info was certainly before any TA knew.

Almost a free cruise!!!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Of my four cruises, the first one when up $100 and the last three stayed the same in price

Pretty much the same here, no changes to two reservations, the other two went up by $100 each. It will cost more to get a same-day PCR test!

On 2/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, les37b said:

Les37, you dont actually get 10% off.  The way SS does teh math is %5 off the original cost, lets say$10000 so $500 off.  The second 5% is now calculated on $9500 and not $10,000 so your net is $9025.  Not hugely different but definitely different.  If you decline the air, they also take teh air off first before giving discounts.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, bohaiboy said:

Les37, you dont actually get 10% off.  The way SS does teh math is %5 off the original cost, lets say$10000 so $500 off.  The second 5% is now calculated on $9500 and not $10,000 so your net is $9025.  Not hugely different but definitely different.  If you decline the air, they also take teh air off first before giving discounts.

Thanks for your correction, but you are wrong.

The 10% is nothing to do with Silversea. It is an additional discount which is in addition to any EBB, VS or on board discount. The figure is 10% below the SS offered discounted price. Nothing to do with several silversea 5% discounts.

In the example you have shown, the travel agents price would be £9025 less £902.5

• Like 1

SS explicitly states that discounts are taken on the next discounted price.  So if the listed price is $10,000, and you take the air credit, (lets say $1000) then you discount is based on $9000.  I have paid it I know.  The discounts are singular, so a 5% discount plus a 5% discount is not 10% taken on the $9000.  Willing to bet a paycheck.

3 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

SS explicitly states that discounts are taken on the next discounted price.  So if the listed price is $10,000, and you take the air credit, (lets say $1000) then you discount is based on $9000.  I have paid it I know.  The discounts are singular, so a 5% discount plus a 5% discount is not 10% taken on the $9000.  Willing to bet a paycheck.

You would lose and I've just explained twice now why. Here's the third.

I expect others who use a travel agent and get over and above the discounted Silversea quote will tell you similar. The 10% I can get is quite possibly the highest available... It's certainly generous....but I know of several who get 5,6,7 or 8% off their Travel Agents.

Quit thinking I'm referring to the 5% for VS, 5% for over 100 days and 5% for onboard bookings. I'm aware it's incremental and is not 15%. But once you've got your final "Silversea price", the Travel agent (who I'm not allowed to name) gives me a further 10% on top the incrementally discounted Silversea price.

That is a fact. In fact there is at least one other member here (TTS) who can verify the above to be accurate.

14 hours ago, les37b said:

You would lose and I've just explained twice now why. Here's the third.

I expect others who use a travel agent and get over and above the discounted Silversea quote will tell you similar. The 10% I can get is quite possibly the highest available... It's certainly generous....but I know of several who get 5,6,7 or 8% off their Travel Agents.

Quit thinking I'm referring to the 5% for VS, 5% for over 100 days and 5% for onboard bookings. I'm aware it's incremental and is not 15%. But once you've got your final "Silversea price", the Travel agent (who I'm not allowed to name) gives me a further 10% on top the incrementally discounted Silversea price.

That is a fact. In fact there is at least one other member here (TTS) who can verify the above to be accurate.

I verify the above to be accurate. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Renewing this thread as the next set of price increases (June 1) have hit.

Based on my own D2D bookings, generally veranda's have gone up $100, medallion suites are up $200 and silver suites are up $400.  It's a flat amount - not a percentage, and apparently not linked to the length or underlying cost of the voyage.    The one P2P did not go up at all.  

4 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

It's a flat amount - not a percentage, and apparently not linked to the [voyage] length.

In my experience, that’s normal.  Like I’ve said before, these price increases are algorithmic.

Now that the price increase has been implemented and the next announced (Aug 31), it’ll be interesting to see when SS extends the sailing schedule.

• Thanks 1