Canada issues new rules Feb 28

HappyInVan

This sounds like a great option, however......  When we get off the ship Sunday morning we head to Buffalo from FL that night but don't arrive until midnight. When we cross the border with our car to Toronto it will technically be Monday morning. This means that we cannot do the test Saturday night on the ship. We need to stay up and do it in the wee hours of Sunday morning. AGH!

Broberts. I do not see this as unnecessarily worrying. It is called planning. Final payments, RCL officially removing themselves of testing. Govt of Canada not making things clear. I do not fly by the seat of my pants for travel. Please do not dumb it down if it doesnt affect you. I recognize we have to wait for details but there are only limited options. RCL tests onboard or Canada gives a concession for cruising and stopping at ports. Why would they do the latter as it is inequitable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tottenhamfc said:

Broberts. I do not see this as unnecessarily worrying. It is called planning. Final payments, RCL officially removing themselves of testing. Govt of Canada not making things clear. I do not fly by the seat of my pants for travel. Please do not dumb it down if it doesnt affect you. I recognize we have to wait for details but there are only limited options. RCL tests onboard or Canada gives a concession for cruising and stopping at ports. Why would they do the latter as it is inequitable.

I think your basic premise that testing will be required upon cruise arrival is questionable. It seems to me much more likely that no testing beyond that required to board will be required.

You are positing a case that would make cruising in Canada nearly impossible. If that is to be the case, no amount of planning is going to get around the lack of cruises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

I think your basic premise that testing will be required upon cruise arrival is questionable. It seems to me much more likely that no testing beyond that required to board will be required.

You are positing a case that would make cruising in Canada nearly impossible. If that is to be the case, no amount of planning is going to get around the lack of cruises.

The way I am reading it, the cruise lines would have to test mid-cruise for a Victoria stop or to end in Vancouver. Crossing into Canada as done on many Skagway tours would not be allowed. I hope I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

The way I am reading it, the cruise lines would have to test mid-cruise for a Victoria stop or to end in Vancouver. Crossing into Canada as done on many Skagway tours would not be allowed. I hope I am wrong.

Reading what? The minister has said we have to wait for cruise regulations. There is nothing to read.

It seems to me that if GOC and provincial stakeholders want to have cruising this year, some reasonable  accommodations will have to be made. 

Until cruise regulations are announced, it seems to me that speculation is pointless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

I did. As a new paragraph, it did not magically make the opening paragraph any more truthful.

I disagree.   We are barred from coming home with a positive test.    We can't just come home.  

We must either wait or pay.  We can't just come home.   

I'm not going to argue with you over this.  Lets agree to disagree on the wording. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

This sounds like a great option, however......  When we get off the ship Sunday morning we head to Buffalo from FL that night but don't arrive until midnight. When we cross the border with our car to Toronto it will technically be Monday morning. This means that we cannot do the test Saturday night on the ship. We need to stay up and do it in the wee hours of Sunday morning. AGH!

You could ask the ship for a PCR test with the 3D validity?

42 minutes ago, Luv2Cruze4 said:

You could get tested at Buffalo airport assuming there open or, get tested at FLL. 

42 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

I don't see it on Android yet  Are you Apple?

Yes, I'm Apple, but according to Google Play, the Android version was available a couple of days earlier, on February 26. The version number is the same for both platforms: 2.26.9

49 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

I disagree.   We are barred from coming home with a positive test.    We can't just come home.  

We must either wait or pay.  We can't just come home.   

I'm not going to argue with you over this.  Lets agree to disagree on the wording. 

Cheers.

You are conflating two separate issues.

On the question of entry, under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a Canadian citizen can never be barred from entering Canada:

Mobility of citizens

• 6 (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Upon entry, however, circumstances may dictate that you will be fined or have other measures taken against you for a wide variety of reasons. For example, if when you enter you attempt to smuggle into Canada goods valued in excess of your allowed amount, you may be fined, have the goods seized, or be subject to other measures. If you attempt to smuggle in prohibited items, you might be arrested. Similarly, while you retain your absolute constitutional right to enter Canada if you test positive for COVID, you may be fined and subject to other measures.

To state that you are "barred from coming home with a positive test" is simply incorrect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You are conflating two separate issues.

On the question of entry, under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a Canadian citizen can never be barred from entering Canada:

Mobility of citizens

• 6 (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

Upon entry, however, circumstances may dictate that you will be fined or have other measures taken against you for a wide variety of reasons. For example, if when you enter you attempt to smuggle into Canada goods valued in excess of your allowed amount, you may be fined, have the goods seized, or be subject to other measures. If you attempt to smuggle in prohibited items, you might be arrested. Similarly, while you retain your absolute constitutional right to enter Canada if you test positive for COVID, you may be fined and subject to other measures.

To state that you are "barred from coming home with a positive test" is simply incorrect.

We are "allowed" to enter Canada with a positive test by land....BUT...if we do, Canadian government can give us a hefty bill of more than $5k per person.  They are pretty much barring us/punishing us, unless we have lots of money to we don't mind paying.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

Finally.

The antigen test period has been clarified "... no more than 1 day before to (sic) your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water".

The testing has to be done outside of Canada. So short visits are still a bit more involved than (in my mind) necessary. The test can be acquired in Canada so Swithchealth is a viable option.

Just like at Christmas time when we were kids. We could shake the present, try to peek under the wrapping, and guess what's inside but we couldn't open it and find out what it really was until Christmas day. February 28th is vacc'd travelers Christmas day!

Hey, we didn't get the damn bike we asked Santa for but we didn't get a lump of coal either. 🎁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

Buy a SwitchHealth kit.  or one of the others. Azova or something like that.  That's our plan. 

where are you buying them?  trying to figure out where to get them while we're traveling.  Get them shipped to hotel?

7 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We are "allowed" to enter Canada with a positive test by land....BUT...if we do, Canadian government can give us a hefty bill of more than $5k per person.  They are pretty much barring us/punishing us, unless we have lots of money to we don't mind paying.

I'm done. I'm sick and tired of reading sob stories about those that disregarded travel advisories and are now crying about the consequences of doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, I'm Apple, but according to Google Play, the Android version was available a couple of days earlier, on February 26. The version number is the same for both platforms: 2.26.9

Oddly enough, I was running 2.25.9 but it didn't show up in my apps that needed to be updated.  When I picked the app directly, it allowed me to update.

If anyone wants to check, go to Settings and scroll down to the bottom.

Thanks.

• Like 1