PCR test required by Silversea within 48 hours prior to boarding

wren2

4 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

'Seamless Luxury Travel ' is the constant Mantra of the Top Executives of Silversea - Perhaps it is for them and they have no ability to even question that for the majority of their Guests it is far from the reality.

Its about time that some permanent change of approach is effected or I am afraid Silversea will disappear beneath the waves of dissatisfaction currently being experienced by their loyal Customers on so many Issues, all surrounding Communication. The Corporate Team are doing such a huge ' Kick in the Teeth ' to all those hardworking and wonderful Staff on the Ships.  I cannot see any Quality Agent recommending Silversea to past or future Clients at the moment.

Appreciate this excellent above summary, comments and follow-up from our UK friend and others on this thread.  The continued uncertainties with Covid regulations and requirements combined with the current Ukraine/Russian ports being scrubbed make things much more challenging.  Consumers investing thousands of dollars in deposits and advanced payments want as much "certainty" as possible.  Too much changing rules and lack of clear communications do not build "CONFIDENCE".  We want to get back exploring the world with unique ports and nice ship environments/service/food.  Hopefully these top Silversea executives will get the message and respond more effectively.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 243,665 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BigDinners said:

I’m booked on 2 May and I called them in the UK to clarify matters because I’ve had no communication on the matter - I read it here!   The chap in the contact centre confirmed that this is the new requirement.  When I asked if they had considered the practicalities of a 48 hour rule he went on to patronise me with a lecture on the importance of safety etc.  He did however suggest that for the next few months (3?) passengers could set out the challenges and apply for an exemption.  In such cases there would be a LFT at the Port.

In post #33 above I reported the comments received from a reasonably senior person in the Silversea London office on Thursday. I was advised :-

- the 48 hour PCR tests will NOT be required at embarkation - the email we have all received is incorrect !

- Silversea will NOT be carrying out tests at embarkation - despite the comment in the email.

- a new Email will sent soon, replacing the previous erroneous one.

You will note that this is the opposite to what you have been told, and it differs from various other reports posted on here in recent days  ! 

Quite frankly I am entirely sceptical about every report that is posted at the moment on this issue (including my own !!). It is clear that the Silversea landside operation is an embarrassing shambles and an insult to their customers. For now I await the promised email retracting the PCR policy that was published on 1st March. (and we are due to embark on 1st April !). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markham said:

With all due respect, I don’t see why a cruise line might be dependent on just one person - who may or may not be accessing fast internet - to get communications right.

I take your point. But Silversea's Chief Commercial Officer has made herself or been made the voice of the cruise line. She is featured in videos. Is she who responds for the cruise line on Facebook. When I received a book about SALT, the cover message was signed by her, not the president or the extraordinarily able head of North America. (Interestingly, she did not sign the misguided email about PCR tests.)  

My point remains and your own points me to reiterate:

No one person should be solely responsible for communications about policy matters, especially ongoing and changing policy, do such a mediocre job at it at best, and somehow avoid criticism when the result was and remains so shambolic. Simple as that. And I hasten to add that none of this is personal.

Any company with sensitivity and conscience for customer care would make changes. If that includes redefining the day to day of this Chief Commercial Officer so be it. Which begs a question what is a CCO doing in this role anyway? Isn’t there anyone else at Silversea available to do a better job with communications with customers and staff of the cruise line?

Enough already. This is a commercial enterprise, not a charity, family hobby or some such thing.

Happy or healthy sailing!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, Herman The Cat said:

It’s clear this is just a convenient excuse — they want to stop paying the bill for pre-cruise passenger testing and this is a way to shift the expense back to passengers. It’s a way to “package and spin it”. They went from making the testing convenient at the pier to a complete and total inconvenience. I think most of us would gladly pay Silversea a fee portside for the PCR test if they could guarantee they could do it.

Also, big problem announcing this March 1 to be effective March 1.  

My TA again spoke to Silversea London office and was told a new email would be sent shortly. I am sailing April 8 and have an option for May 28, which I have extended as I will not book until I have the PCR question resolved in writing.

4 hours ago, wren2 said:

My TA again spoke to Silversea London office and was told a new email would be sent shortly. I am sailing April 8 and have an option for May 28, which I have extended as I will not book until I have the PCR question resolved in writing.

At this point I'm not sure what that would be.  The whole mess started with something in writing! 

Fixing it will require a detailed mea culpa, explicit withdrawal of the prior erroneous communication, and very clear explanation of the new rules and when and how they will be implemented.  All of which sounds impossible, given recent experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boarding  FLL this week.  Called SS Florida office today.   Two different agents, two different responses.  My favorite, "it depends on your booking number if you can be tested at pier."

Not inclined to give booking number only to be told I'm not on the approved to be tested at pier list.

Boarding SS next week, don't even have boarding pass yet so no idea what my test requirement in Barbados really will be - my TA keeps asking but is told that "new or most recent health protocols" are being loaded into system to be included in e-TKTs

They are sorry for the inconvenience and thank me for my understanding..

Boy, are they ever wrong.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 9:06 AM, Observer said:

I take your point. But Silversea's Chief Commercial Officer has made herself or been made the voice of the cruise line. She is featured in videos. Is she who responds for the cruise line on Facebook. When I received a book about SALT, the cover message was signed by her, not the president or the extraordinarily able head of North America. (Interestingly, she did not sign the misguided email about PCR tests.)  

Random thoughts….

She is a Chief Marketing Officer. She is creating an approachable persona that people can relate to and is in charge of the brand. Who knows who is in charge of customer service, if there is one.  The CCO is responsive on social media SELECTIVELY. I suspect the SALT book was her idea and it’s part of creating a brand. The email about PCR tests was signed by her husband, the President. I do wonder where Mark Conroy (US Head) is in all of this and what he actually does. Is he just a figurehead? How can he stand by and watch this? You would think he would step in, but perhaps he’s keeping his hands clean and staying in his lane. The “we will let you know” response from their head of sales is unacceptable—no timeline on when, no follow-up.  To me, it doesn’t seem like any one person is in charge — more like no one is in charge. 

She may not have any role in this—-perhaps it is the Head of Fleet Operations who would determine this. Who is that these days???? 

In regard to the comment on booking number—if this is a criteria (which would be very difficult to manage) they are probably going to determine who gets tested by when you booked as all those booked months ago were told testing would be pierside. 

And once again, I will state we are big Silversea fans. The sense of urgency to resolve this seems to be lacking…which leads me to believe it is in the hands of Fleet Operations who is wrestling with how to handle this and what it means before making a change which they do not want to reverse again. 

Where is the leadership? Even an email from marketing saying, “we are revisiting these policies with fleet operations and seeking additional information. We expect to send you information by March 31 etc.” The CCO should know that If you are in marketing part of that is managing expectations…and communication in times like this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Boarding SS next week, don't even have boarding pass yet so no idea what my test requirement in Barbados really will be - my TA keeps asking but is told that "new or most recent health protocols" are being loaded into system to be included in e-TKTs

They are sorry for the inconvenience and thank me for my understanding..

Boy, are they ever wrong.

Barbados requires pcr for entry. You have to do it anyway 

we did rapid pcr at airport. Results in 45 minutes 

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Barbados requires pcr for entry. You have to do it anyway 

we did rapid pcr at airport. Results in 45 minutes 

Respectfully, you are wrong.

Barbados requires either a negative PCR or antigen test 1 day prior to entry or a negative PCR 3 days prior to entry. Your choice. 

Covid Testing for Barbados.png

7 minutes ago, Desperate to Sail said:

Respectfully, you are wrong.

Barbados requires either a negative PCR or antigen test 1 day prior to entry or a negative PCR 3 days prior to entry. Your choice. 

Covid Testing for Barbados.png

I see protocols amended 2/25

we boarded moon in Barbados mid Feb. only pcr allowed then 

I perfectly understand that I have to be tested before leaving home for both US entry then Barbados entry, but I have a two day journey thanks to poor flight connections and am spending a relaxing (!!) day in Barbados so my PCR will have been done four days before boarding. Not within two days. 
Rapid PCR at my airport - not available. 
I also know I only need an antigen test for Barbados entry, but it has to be done the day before arrival and I’ll already be in flight with no Covid testing available where I will be overnighting. 
So I’m stuck doing a PCR four days before embarkation. 

I expected an antigen test at the pier but not having a boarding pass, I’ve no definite statement on what testing will happen. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I perfectly understand that I have to be tested before leaving home for both US entry then Barbados entry, but I have a two day journey thanks to poor flight connections and am spending a relaxing (!!) day in Barbados so my PCR will have been done four days before boarding. Not within two days. 
Rapid PCR at my airport - not available. 
I also know I only need an antigen test for Barbados entry, but it has to be done the day before arrival and I’ll already be in flight with no Covid testing available where I will be overnighting. 
So I’m stuck doing a PCR four days before embarkation. 

I expected an antigen test at the pier but not having a boarding pass, I’ve no definite statement on what testing will happen. 

We're on same cruise with similar concerns but are taking SS testing instructions literally. We will have our PCR test within 3 days of flight to enter BB and will simply arrive at the port on day of departure expecting to be tested, free of charge by SS,  allowing us to board. We're not attempting to source a PCR test in BB, as it is not mandatory - simply an option. Suspect there will be many who will do likewise. 

With 8 days to go, we've not received boarding passes or even know which hotel SS have booked us into the night before cruise. They know this, as we've chase more than once. All a bit unsatisfactory but for SS to sort out. 

3 hours ago, Cruiser6270 said:

We're on same cruise with similar concerns but are taking SS testing instructions literally. We will have our PCR test within 3 days of flight to enter BB and will simply arrive at the port on day of departure expecting to be tested, free of charge by SS,  allowing us to board. We're not attempting to source a PCR test in BB, as it is not mandatory - simply an option. Suspect there will be many who will do likewise. 

With 8 days to go, we've not received boarding passes or even know which hotel SS have booked us into the night before cruise. They know this, as we've chase more than once. All a bit unsatisfactory but for SS to sort out. 

Slightly comforting that I'm not alone in this!

After my January Spirit cruise was cancelled by SS (with too many crew in quarantine), I am really keen to be on board!

P.S. It is just possible (but I doubt it) that there will be no test needed before boarding because the CDC rules only apply to ships sailing in US waters. I expect (and hope) that SS will do an antigen test at the pier as they said they would in the pre-March 1st era.

P.P.S

Not sure why you say PCR test is 'simply an option' to board - this is the relevant bit from the SS email:

Silversea will no longer require pre-embarkation testing at the pier, unless a specific port of call or country mandates it. 
However, beginning with March 2022 sailings, you will be required to present a negative PCR test result, administered by a verified third party within 2 days prior to boarding. Please note, for the immediate future, should a guest not be able to arrange a test within the 2 days of boarding, Silversea will offer the test at the terminal prior to embarkation as an exception for a limited time only. 

So 'as an exception' they will still test at the pier but the kind of test is not specified. I found this email to be a bit unpleasantly aggressive and I am definitely not even trying to get a PCR in Barbados.

Edited by jollyjones

We are also on this cruise.  We have three nights in a Simply Silversea Hotel prior to the cruise and had confirmation that it was the Hilton approx. 2 weeks ago.  We delayed booking our departure Covid Test until a couple of days ago and glad that we did as it saved us a couple of bob.  We are having a rapid antigen at Heathrow Airport the day before the flight as we are staying over the night before.  We arranged it with Express Testing at a cost of £35 each and their testing is apparently acceptable by the Barbados Authorities.

We also had the e mail from Silversea stating that a PCR Test was required prior to boarding.  I queried this with my TA, they contacted Silversea and were told that Silversea would be providing antigen tests prior to boarding free of charge and that the PCR test would be unnecessary.

This weekend we will be tackling the BIM safe ap. and the immigration forms, can't say i'm looking forward to this.  Foreign travel should be added to that list of most stressful experiences along with bereavement, divorce etc!!!

Happy days.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Slightly comforting that I'm not alone in this!

After my January Spirit cruise was cancelled by SS (with too many crew in quarantine), I am really keen to be on board!

P.S. It is just possible (but I doubt it) that there will be no test needed before boarding because the CDC rules only apply to ships sailing in US waters. I expect (and hope) that SS will do an antigen test at the pier as they said they would in the pre-March 1st era.

P.P.S

Not sure why you say PCR test is 'simply an option' to board - this is the relevant bit from the SS email:

Silversea will no longer require pre-embarkation testing at the pier, unless a specific port of call or country mandates it. 
However, beginning with March 2022 sailings, you will be required to present a negative PCR test result, administered by a verified third party within 2 days prior to boarding. Please note, for the immediate future, should a guest not be able to arrange a test within the 2 days of boarding, Silversea will offer the test at the terminal prior to embarkation as an exception for a limited time only. 

So 'as an exception' they will still test at the pier but the kind of test is not specified. I found this email to be a bit unpleasantly aggressive and I am definitely not even trying to get a PCR in Barbados.

We'd be alarmed if there was no testing at the port. Those who shelled out for the 2 day PCR tests would have every right to be a bit cross too. 

Think the use of "exception" is merely to encourage take-up but suspect that few will have the inclination or ability to spend time seeking out a (within 2 day) PCR test at own expense, when there is a perfectly good, free and convenient option at the port.

SS have tried to present the "no longer require pre-embarkation testing" as a benefit, but that only works for those who have already had a PCR test within 2 days for other purposes such as flying into the country of embarkation. 

Edited by Cruiser6270

1 hour ago, Charleyben said:

We are also on this cruise.  We have three nights in a Simply Silversea Hotel prior to the cruise and had confirmation that it was the Hilton approx. 2 weeks ago.  We delayed booking our departure Covid Test until a couple of days ago and glad that we did as it saved us a couple of bob.  We are having a rapid antigen at Heathrow Airport the day before the flight as we are staying over the night before.  We arranged it with Express Testing at a cost of £35 each and their testing is apparently acceptable by the Barbados Authorities.

We also had the e mail from Silversea stating that a PCR Test was required prior to boarding.  I queried this with my TA, they contacted Silversea and were told that Silversea would be providing antigen tests prior to boarding free of charge and that the PCR test would be unnecessary.

This weekend we will be tackling the BIM safe ap. and the immigration forms, can't say i'm looking forward to this.  Foreign travel should be added to that list of most stressful experiences along with bereavement, divorce etc!!!

Happy days.

You are well ahead of us 🙂  The antigen test at port makes complete sense. I cannot see how SS could provide PCR without having pax hanging around the port for hours on end, with all the problems that would bring. 

Will all be fine in the end. 

1 hour ago, Cruiser6270 said:

You are well ahead of us 🙂  The antigen test at port makes complete sense. I cannot see how SS could provide PCR without having pax hanging around the port for hours on end, with all the problems that would bring. 

Will all be fine in the end. 

I hope you are right. Reading this thread, I have lost faith in SS management's ability to do anything "that makes complete sense".

It looks like SS has changed it's policy and will accept antigen tests. Take a look at 

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer.html

I've copied the relevant sections below. Note that 

FULLY VACCINATED = a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines

UP TO DATE = a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements
If you arrive for embarkation with a valid antigen or PCR negative test result (administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy), please make note you will enjoy expedited boarding. If you require pier-side testing by Silversea upon embarkation, please note this will result in a delayed boarding process for you.

Fully Vaccinated Guests: If you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (but have not received an additional dose or booster), you must provide a negative antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 2 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.

Up to Date Vaccinated Guests: If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must provide a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result, administered by a verified third party (either a laboratory or pharmacy), taken no more than 3 days prior to boarding your ship. If you are unable to obtain a negative test in time for embarkation, Silversea will continue to provide complimentary pier-side testing prior to boarding the ship, through April 30, 2022.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, bitob said:

I just showed this thread to the covid testing officer on board 

she had no idea !!!

Why am I NOT surprised? 

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Finally!  That now corresponds to what the CDC is recommending. Wish they had been able to more clearly articulate this sooner but glad they eventually came to the right decision.

Yes, great summary point by JP of "Finally!"  

But, when Bitob shared: "I just showed this thread to the covid testing officer on board. She had no idea !!!"   WOW!!  Clearly Silversea needs to improve its communications.  Both to customers and within their own operations.  While the word might not be out all staff members on their ship, you would think that the vessel's officer in charge of the processes there would be in the loop and know better what is now happening and required.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,523 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696