Back from the Edge Review of Feb 20 Sailing and hints and Tips I wish I had known before I sailed.

47 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Where did you get this information from?  Unless this is a brand new change or retrofit for the Apex, this isn't true,...

See my post here #39.

Last week on Constellation, the Future Cruise Agent told me this would be the case on Ascent.

I here asked if Apex and Beyond had made this improvement.

Your response tells me that for the Apex, the answer is still no.

So, I guess we'll wait for a report from Beyond. 

Or perhaps the agent was incorrect, tho, those on board are usually pretty competent. 

First, thanks to the OP for the review. Edge class ships have no real appeal to me though I may try one in the future. 

As far as diving on X goes, just got back from a X cruise. Dived through the ship in St. Thomas but was not offered in St. Maarten.   Going on a 12 night, 7 island cruise in two weeks. The one through the ship dive was canceled but with things loosening up, was able to book 3 private dives.

9 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

See my post here #39.

Last week on Constellation, the Future Cruise Agent told me this would be the case on Ascent.

Or perhaps the agent was incorrect, tho, those on board are usually pretty competent. 

My fingers are crossed the Ascent makes this improvement but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up to sell you the sailing.  The big thing are that the bi-fold doors aren't weather proof.  If true, this is major breaking news as it fixes the chief complaint of the IV cabins.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Where did you get this information from?  Unless this is a brand new change or retrofit for the Apex, this isn't true,...

I’ve seen it reported on you tube review, and mentioned on this thread as how the Apex and Beyond are different from the Edge…

me, I have no first hand knowledge, I’m in an SV on Apex this month. A cabin crawl is going on, I can try and verify one way or another. 

obviously, if you’ve sailed Apex, I’m deferring to you. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My fingers are crossed the Ascent makes this improvement but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it up to sell you the sailing.  The big thing are that the bi-fold doors aren't weather proof.  If true, this is major breaking news as it fixes the chief complaint of the IV cabins.

My thoughts exactly after seeing the doors.

• Like 1

Thank you for this review.  We booked the Edge in April in a Sunset Veranda since we did not thing the infinite room would appeal to us.  This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and we were intrigued by the new Edge class ships.  We want to book a couple of others and would most likely be booking the Retreat, however we really wanted to see if we would like the ship since it is so different from most ships.

Question for anyone who has sailed in a Sunset Sky Suite.  We are considering it for a Norwegian fjord cruise.  Do you get a great view?  It appears that with the side wall it might be limiting.  

5 hours ago, tugboat said:

Port Everglades is Federal Property (and I think part of a military base) and therefore *most* everyone will need a TWIC card to enter OR they will need to show DL, waybill (Uber app ride confirmation) and can/will be subject to search of vehicle. They also can not have a firearm on the property (if they have one in their car). 

I wouldn't rideshare, but I think a Taxi would have the necessary requirements. Uber would "offer" them to drivers because there are drivers who wouldn't have an issue meeting the requirements. Drivers who don't, should decline the ride. 

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I don't see how it's possible since the IV cabin is interior spaces. There would have to be major structural changes made to weatherize the cabin. What may be done is to change the mix of cabins and introduce more Sky Suite type of balcony in a smaller room factor. But it would be impossible to make the IV cabin function like a traditional veranda cabin.

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I don't see how it's possible since the IV cabin is interior spaces. There would have to be major structural changes made to weatherize the cabin. What may be done is to change the mix of cabins and introduce more Sky Suite type of balcony in a smaller room factor. But it would be impossible to make the IV cabin function like a traditional veranda cabin.

I believe the person I was quoted was specifically talking about relocating the AC switch from the IV window to the bi-folds doors.  You could greatly improve the IV concept by utilizing weatherproof bi-folds and if you wanted to take it a step further (I'd bet this would never happen to be clear) use double pane glass with blackout blinds integrated between the glass panes.

image.thumb.png.a93b725496b0de4f1c770f6512447600.png

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I believe the person I was quoted was specifically talking about relocating the AC switch from the IV window to the bi-folds doors.  You could greatly improve the IV concept by utilizing weatherproof bi-folds and if you wanted to take it a step further (I'd bet this would never weatherproof bifold doors would happen to be clear) use double pane glass with blackout blinds integrated between the glass panes.

image.thumb.png.a93b725496b0de4f1c770f6512447600.png

Weatherproof bifold doors would take up too much additional floorspace and reduce the already small verandah floorspace. It would also take up additional space when open. The track that the doors would slide on would have to be bigger and take up more floor space.

Just now, kwokpot said:

Weatherproof bifold doors would take up too much additional floorspace and reduce the already small verandah floorspace. It would also take up additional space when open. The track that the doors would slide on would have to be bigger and take up more floor space.

The current bi-fold doors are somewhat thick already, I'd be surprised if someone couldn't find a way to make weatherproof doors about the same size.  Weather proof bi-fold with integrated blinds and the AC switch moved would be the best iteration of the IV yet I really don't think any major IV changes will ever happen; I believe after the E-Class the IVs are history from big cruise ships.  

Thank you for this review...we love the Edge class ships as well. So many of my favorite spots and specialty restaurants you highlighted. We love the infinite veranda; the extra floor space and full window are features we enjoyed. 

Appreciate the good review of the Oceanview; we enjoy the four dining room concept and the specialty restaurants. Will definitely give the Oceanview a try next time on Edge or Apex.

Enjoyed your photos....brought back great memories!  Well done!

Thanks for the comprehensive review and photos! We were supposed to sail on Apex, but got moved to Silhouette. Beautiful ship, no complaints at all, but we still want to try E class. Just not with infinite veranda!

15 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Thank you for this review.  We booked the Edge in April in a Sunset Veranda since we did not thing the infinite room would appeal to us.  This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and we were intrigued by the new Edge class ships.  We want to book a couple of others and would most likely be booking the Retreat, however we really wanted to see if we would like the ship since it is so different from most ships.

Question for anyone who has sailed in a Sunset Sky Suite.  We are considering it for a Norwegian fjord cruise.  Do you get a great view?  It appears that with the side wall it might be limiting.  

A great view indeed. Over 180 degrees for us on the back of the Edge in a sky suite on the 7th deck. This location is also closest to the water.  Bring your own binoculors as the ones in the cabin are useless.

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

Thanks for the comprehensive review and photos! We were supposed to sail on Apex, but got moved to Silhouette. Beautiful ship, no complaints at all, but we still want to try E class. Just not with infinite veranda!

You'll enjoy Silhouette, we sailed on her previously and liked it. 

1 hour ago, r2h2 said:

A great view indeed. Over 180 degrees for us on the back of the Edge in a sky suite on the 7th deck. This location is also closest to the water.  Bring your own binoculors as the ones in the cabin are useless.

I laughed at the comment about the binoculars in the cabin. Yes they are terrible, that is something I always try and remember to pack is a pair of good binoculars. 

On 3/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, The Flying Pirate said:

One of the signs explaining the Uber and Lyft Issues at the Port. Could be a "Marketing" thing to take the contracted vans. We decided not to take a chance and booked the Contracted van. It was easy and $11 per person 

Edge Ubar and Lyft Sign.JPG

Total nonsense. Used Uber in January from hotel to port with no problems. Ubers and Lyfts everwhere. No problems at the entry gate. The hotel's attack on "immigrants" is shameful.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, The Flying Pirate said:

One of the signs explaining the Uber and Lyft Issues at the Port. Could be a "Marketing" thing to take the contracted vans. We decided not to take a chance and booked the Contracted van. It was easy and $11 per person 

Edge Ubar and Lyft Sign.JPG

From one of the most knowledgeable folks on CC, however this is 5 years old, so things may have changed.  It appears they do not need any special credentials to access the cruise ship terminal but may be denied at the port check point if they're trying to access other areas within the secured area.

The five year old thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2468630-uber-not-allowed-to-go-to-port-everglade/

The five year old quote:

On 10/31/2017 at 12:29 PM, chengkp75 said:

That's what I'm saying. The cruise terminal is outside the security zone (see last sentence of first para you quoted), so the TWIC is not required for the cruise terminal. This is why I said the Uber drivers were confused, because if they are going anywhere else in the port, or most likely dropping crew off at the cruise terminal (not sure), then they would need the TWIC. My ship calls at the oil terminals just down the way from the cruise terminals, so we don't have the nice facilities, and need a TWIC.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:04 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

IMO there's no way they made this change. Think about it. If they made this design change and the folding doors controlled the a/c, then you can't lay in bed with the doors open to see the ocean. The a/c would be off.

OP, thanks for a great thread. Love your commentary and pictures. It took me right back to my Edge sailing a few months ago.

26 minutes ago, RichYak said:

IMO there's no way they made this change. Think about it. If they made this design change and the folding doors controlled the a/c, then you can't lay in bed with the doors open to see the ocean. The a/c would be off.

OP, thanks for a great thread. Love your commentary and pictures. It took me right back to my Edge sailing a few months ago.

Unless the logic was an "OR" situation. If the window OR the doors are closed, then the A/C can be on. If both are open, then A/C is off.