Changing rooms while traveling with kids

FlamingJune1967

I know I've seen this topic answered years ago - but now I cannot find anything, so please help.
We are cruising with our two teenagers.  Currently we have two rooms (nowhere near each other) with a parent and teen in each room.  Of course, we would like to move the parents together and the teens together.  Anyone know current procedure for doing this?  We leave on Saturday.
Thank you so much!

20 minutes ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

I know I've seen this topic answered years ago - but now I cannot find anything, so please help.
We are cruising with our two teenagers.  Currently we have two rooms (nowhere near each other) with a parent and teen in each room.  Of course, we would like to move the parents together and the teens together.  Anyone know current procedure for doing this?  We leave on Saturday.
Thank you so much!

It might work if they were over 18, but based on the dates of their ages on your Carnival Elation cruise that would make them 15 & 16 and they would never allow this.

15 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

That would be allowed if the rooms were adjacent or across the hall from each other but as they are far separated, it is not allowed.

It will not be allowed if you are in veranda cabins.

You can’t officially change rooms but we always just got extra keys and just physically had adults in one cabin and kids in the other. We trusted our kids and it always worked out great and the staff just didn’t care. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lorimay said:

You can’t officially change rooms but we always just got extra keys and just physically had adults in one cabin and kids in the other. We trusted our kids and it always worked out great and the staff just didn’t care. 

It's:

- against the rules,

- a security issue,

and sends the message to your kids that it's ok to break the rules. Just saying.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woody14 said:

That is all I could find as well.  I'm not really concerned.  We did it before when our now-adult children were teenagers, and no one blinked and eye.  I was just wondering what the current climate was.  It's not like we are going to dump our teenagers off in their room and never see them again, lol!

3 hours ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

Thank you so much!

With ships sailing with empty rooms why not phone up and see if they can move you to adjacent cabins? I can totally understand the reasons why you want adults in one room and teens in the other but also understand the reasoning for under 21s to be near their parents. 

3 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

It might work if they were over 18, but based on the dates of their ages on your Carnival Elation cruise that would make them 15 & 16 and they would never allow this.

Good investigating!  yes, they are 15 and 16.

you inspired me to update my signature 🙂

Edited by FlamingJune1967
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chemmo said:

With ships sailing with empty rooms why not phone up and see if they can move you to adjacent cabins? I can totally understand the reasons why you want adults in one room and teens in the other but also understand the reasoning for under 21s to be near their parents. 

I did it on purpose.  My room is a veranda - kids room is an oceanview.  I did not want them to be interior, but did not want to spring for a veranda.  To be honest, I won the veranda cruise while on the Edge in December and added the additional cabin so that the kids could come with us.

3 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I’m with lorimay on this.   No one really cares where anybody sleeps.  

That simply isn't true. Your cabin steward won't confront you. Rarely will they confront you on anything you do.

You cannot book a cruise with two minors in a cabin and no adult.  Which is likely why the OP had to book it with one adult and one child in each cabin.

2 hours ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

That is all I could find as well.  I'm not really concerned.  We did it before when our now-adult children were teenagers, and no one blinked and eye.  I was just wondering what the current climate was.  It's not like we are going to dump our teenagers off in their room and never see them again, lol!

Just because you did it and got away with it, doesn't make it ok.

Rules have reasons. You don't have to know what they are or understand them. And you can't just decide to ignore them because it's not convenient.

Life would be chaos if everyone just decided to substitute their judgnent for rules and regulations.

Don't want to stop at the red light? Nobody's coming...so who cares 🙄

• Like 1

The biggest issue (well, besides it being against the rules) I see is that the OP stated the cabins are "far apart" which would mean different muster stations. If they were to decide to break the rules and change one adult and one kid, the changed cruisers would be expected to go to their ASSIGNED muster station in the event of an emergency - and that would mean that should there be an evacuation the kids and the parents would be separated.

It's one thing to break the rules and change cabins within the same muster station - still against the rules, but at least you'd still be together in an emergency - but another to not only break the rules but ensure that your family is separated in case of an emergency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

As with so many situations, it will be fine, until it isn’t. 

This says it all. 

How much time do you expect the teens to be in their stateroom? You could always move them to an inside across the hall from you. That's the only really viable solution. 

An update now that we are back.
 Moving rooms was a non-issue.  We simply went to the Guest Services desk and asked to move the teenagers to one room together and us into the other.  They changed our room cards and accounts to reflect the change.  Everyone knew we were in 7125 and the kids were in 6025 - from the cabin stewards to the bartenders to the dining room hostess to the waiters- to the activities staff, to the muster station staff.
by the way - my kids are 15 and 16.  

On 3/3/2022 at 1:03 AM, Guppy99 said:

Just because you did it and got away with it, doesn't make it ok.

Rules have reasons. You don't have to know what they are or understand them. And you can't just decide to ignore them because it's not convenient.

Life would be chaos if everyone just decided to substitute their judgnent for rules and regulations.

Don't want to stop at the red light? Nobody's coming...so who cares 🙄

If I thought this was an actual "rule" I might agree with you.  However we just returned from our trip, and as I suspected, this was not the case.  We changed rooms as soon as we got on board.  No deception or rule-breaking required.  By the way - we did not break rules the last time either.  We had the room cards changed at guest services - same as this time

On 3/3/2022 at 7:02 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The biggest issue (well, besides it being against the rules) I see is that the OP stated the cabins are "far apart" which would mean different muster stations. If they were to decide to break the rules and change one adult and one kid, the changed cruisers would be expected to go to their ASSIGNED muster station in the event of an emergency - and that would mean that should there be an evacuation the kids and the parents would be separated.

It's one thing to break the rules and change cabins within the same muster station - still against the rules, but at least you'd still be together in an emergency - but another to not only break the rules but ensure that your family is separated in case of an emergency.

I understand what you are saying - but my "kids" drive cars and have jobs.  I am not concerned that we might be separated in an emergency as that would likely happen anyway - and I have full confidence that they could follow instructions as well as I could.  

10 minutes ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

An update now that we are back.
 Moving rooms was a non-issue.  We simply went to the Guest Services desk and asked to move the teenagers to one room together and us into the other.  They changed our room cards and accounts to reflect the change.  Everyone knew we were in 7125 and the kids were in 6025 - from the cabin stewards to the bartenders to the dining room hostess to the waiters- to the activities staff, to the muster station staff.
by the way - my kids are 15 and 16.  

You have opened up Pandora's Box. Going to copy your post and send to our TA who wouldn't let us book three grandsons ages 15, 17 and 20 in one room 2 rooms down from their parents because they said the RCI policy was 21 and over to book in one room.   This was for a Family celebration cruise. 

2 hours ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

If I thought this was an actual "rule" I might agree with you.  However we just returned from our trip, and as I suspected, this was not the case.  We changed rooms as soon as we got on board.  No deception or rule-breaking required.  By the way - we did not break rules the last time either.  We had the room cards changed at guest services - same as this time

Yes, it is a rule. You are not permitted to change cabins and you are not permitted to put minors in a cabin without an adult. Wich is why you couldn't book it that way to begin with. Just because you surreptitiously did after boarding and no one challenged you, does not mean it is permitted.  As I said previously, just because you got away with it does not make it right all. Generally, most rules and regulations require voluntary compliance. Without that, well we would descend into chaos and live with the animals  (quassi quote from John Wick)

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

You have opened up Pandora's Box. Going to copy your post and send to our TA who wouldn't let us book three grandsons ages 15, 17 and 20 in one room 2 rooms down from their parents because they said the RCI policy was 21 and over to book in one room.   This was for a Family celebration cruise. 

Correct! It is a liability and safety/security issue.