What is the one thing..

rucrazy

As a newbie in waiting at least as it comes to sailing with Seabourn for the first time, my husband David and I were talking about the anticipation we feel and wondered what the experienced Seabourn passengers loved most about sailing with this line?

Any and all appreciated!

There's just been a thread on basically the same topic:

Even if you're sailing on a different ship, 99% of what's in that thread will apply to all Seabourn ships.

Please feel free to continue to ask questions; I was just trying to head off repeating all the posts in that thread. 😉 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiseej said:

There's just been a thread on basically the same topic:

I read the thread and while interesting and informative and listed "do not miss" it did not answer my original question which was "what do repeat passengers love most about sailing with this line".

Thanks for trying to help!

4 hours ago, rucrazy said:

I read the thread and while interesting and informative and listed "do not miss" it did not answer my original question which was "what do repeat passengers love most about sailing with this line".

I love the casual, but elegant ambience of the ship.  I enjoy the fact that Cruise Directors really take their jobs seriously and entertain as well as make things go smoothly.  There is a lot encompassed in that--including thoughtful consideration, personality, talent, genuine concern, etc.  I like that I can take a 3 week+ cruise and never have to go through a buffet line if I don't choose to--and will still have delicious meals available.  My favorite memory is a dance party on the deck in the port at Monaco and the sail away while this party was underway.  I enjoy the sometimes unexpected touches---a caviar and champagne party on the bow of the ship among glaciers in Alaska, hot chocolate served to everyone on a cold day of viewing gorgeous scenery.  I've only sailed on two lines--Seabourn and Silversea--but found the little extras to be so special on Seabourn.  

• Like 2

Clearly the fact that the crew soon gets to address you most of the time by your Mr. or Mrs. name. I was pleasantly surprised when this tradition was carried over from the old 190 passenger ships to the 450 passenger O ships then they were introduced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rucrazy said:

We are soon embarking on our 4th SB cruise which puts us into a class of newbies who obviously enjoy the line.  Your question got me thinking about one factor above all others that separates this line from the other 15 we have cruised.  Our answer is quite simple, "The Crew."  We could write a lot about the SB crew but it is all summed up in the fact that the word "NO" is not in their vocabulary.  Ask a question or for just about anything and you will either get your wish or be offered some kind of alternative.  SB also encourages their crew to interact with the passengers and this creates a special bond between many passengers and various crew members.  

Hank

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We could write a lot about the SB crew but it is all summed up in the fact that the word "NO" is not in their vocabulary.

I remember when that used to be standard on all cruise lines!

• Like 2

In the past and pre-Covid they were able to attract and retain the best crew. That made our voyages so pleasant. Everything said about the crew—both in front of behind the curtain— is so true. It's been 12 on SB for us. It only got better. Part of that from the start was the constant recognition of the passengers. It always amazed us. This summer will be our first in a few years so we will see the effects of the pandemic and the current travel constraints. 

For me, because I was on a long cruise, it was the community that I found on board.  I made so many friends and am still in communication with about 10 people 2 years after the cruise ended because of COVID.  So many really interesting people - writers, scientists, entrepreneurs - most of whom were very down to earth and easy to talk to.  

And of course, THE STAFF!

• 4 weeks later...

Three stories stand out for me after 20+ cruises on Seabourn:

I always go right to the skybar upon embarkation and have a welcome aboard cocktail. As I approached the skybar, a year after my first cruise, the bartender, who I had never seen before, smiled and said "Welcome back, Mrs. Hutchison, would you like a tall vodka cranberry?"

Many years ago, my now ex-husband asked if they served cinnamon ice cream, his favorite. The next day, it was served to him for dessert, and the chef came out to deliver it. Chef had not heard of it before, so he called other chefs, got 5 recipes, tested them on all the kitchen crew and it is on the menu even today. They really do not know the word 'NO' - they will make it happen if at all possible. 

They do like to 'eavesdrop' to surprise you with things they hear that you might enjoy. I once commented to another passenger that I missed sleeping with a fan blowing, and would have to remember to bring one with me next cruise. That afternoon, one showed up in my cabin. WOW!!

• Like 7

My favourite story was on my very first SB cruise, having my first lunch in the Colonnade, as we arrived.  

I went up to the lovely desserts and just muttered to myself "Ooooh, pannacotta, my favourite".

Next night in the MDR I was deliberating whether to order dessert and one of the lovely staff came up with a plate just for me saying "MrsM, we know pannacotta is your favourite and we've made you a special raspberry pannacotta, hope you enjoy it"

This cruise was meant to be a one off... needless to say we have a big 9th coming up! 😂

• Like 7

7 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Whoa!

@ImpulsiveTraveler That is indeed impressive!

I have had a similar experience on the Westerdam sailing from Vancouver at the sailaway party at the aft pool.  The bartender was one who served me on other cruises, but, when he saw me at the bar, I heard:  "Welcome Back!  Would you like a CC-7?"  I did.  And, I watched him pour the tall glass half full of CC.  A second CC-7 was not needed.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Haha 1