Time frame from disembarking POA in Oahu to BI flight

Gracelyn

Hi

we are trying to pick a time to fly Hawaii Air from Oahu to the BI. We have hourly choices. We forget what the day of disembarking is like. Our preference is to take our time. Have Breakfast and take our own luggage. Taxi? Over to airport. I don’t do Uber or Lyft. 
so we were thinking the 155 pm flight out. 
what time frame do we need to be at airport for that flight and I wonder if we literally have to be off the ship at a certain time? 
gracelyn 

19 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

Yes sorry, the big island. Oh that’s short to get to the airport then. How long do we need to be in the airport ahead of time

gracelyn 

Its been years since I flew inter-island, so not sure of the TSA requirements, but likely an hour or more.  Hawaiian Air will advise.  I don't believe you have to do the Agriculture inspection for inter-island, that can take some time as well, when leaving Hawaii.

3 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Hi

we are trying to pick a time to fly Hawaii Air from Oahu to the BI. We have hourly choices. We forget what the day of disembarking is like. Our preference is to take our time. Have Breakfast and take our own luggage. Taxi? Over to airport. I don’t do Uber or Lyft. 
what time frame do we need to be at airport for that flight and I wonder if we literally have to be off the ship at a certain time? 
gracelyn 

Airlines publish this type of information on their websites. For Hawaiian Airlines flights from Honolulu to to Hawaii Island it's recommended that you arrive at the airport at least one hour and thirty minutes prior to departure, so for the 1:55 flight you should get to the airport no later than 12:15 to 12:30. You're going to be kicked off the ship with more than enough time to get to the airport :

https://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3085

To Maui, Kauai, Hawaii Island, Molokai, Lanai Please arrive 1 hour and 30 minutes prior to departure.

BIG ISLAND -

Two airports - Hilo and Kona 

Hawaiian Airlines website:  Hawaiian Airlines - Flights to Hawaii, Plane Tickets & Airfare

I couldn't find a 1:55pm flight to either Kona or Hilo - but DST times changing this week-end

a new time table maybe in the mix.

Ordinarily the POA would dock in around 7 am

Have breakfast (last cruise meal) before disembarking

No customs border immigration checks

Take walk-off luggage or go to designated claim area to get your luggage

Taxi or shuttle to the airport - routinely not more than a half hour

Agriculture check probably not - interisland flights - Mainland flights YES 

Check in luggage anywhere more than an hour before flight more is better

TSA check an hour before flight

At the assigned gate a half hour or at boarding time

You have lots of time with no stress or worry -

Take advantage of any online check-in with Hawaiian to speed things along. 

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I couldn't find a 1:55pm flight to either Kona or Hilo - but DST times changing this week-end

a new time table maybe in the mix.

Remember, Hawaii does not believe in DST and never changes their clocks. It’s always Hawaiian Standard Time. 

6 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Hi

gracelyn 

You’ll get kicked off the ship starting at 9:30. You can pick up your bags at the cruise terminal and will be at the airport before 10:30. I would look for an earlier flight. No Ag check for interisland travel (which only takes a couple of minutes when you fly home). Just normal TSA. 

Awesome. That’s great info to now book Hawaiian Air. It’s into Kona. So I will pick what ever time is close to the timeframe you all have helped me with. I wear an insulin pump so sometimes that takes a bit to go thru security. 
thanks everyone 

gracelyn

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Remember, Hawaii does not believe in DST and never changes their clocks. It’s always Hawaiian Standard Time. 

TRUE - very true

"BUT"

the mainland times of departures and arrivals does change by a Savings Time hour

OR

not changing causes the arrivals and departures in Hawaii to be offset an hour

Thus this causes a Hawaii departure to be an hour earlier to arrive at the same time

on the mainland as it was pre-DST - flying time is the same.

YES it is complicated - solution to go on a permanent time zone change in respect

to the sunlight (daylight) or whatever measurable factor is considered !

The closer to the earth's equator the less change needed -

Alaska however it makes a world of difference -

It isn't call the land of the Mid-Night Sun just as a lark !

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

TRUE - very true

"BUT"

the mainland times of departures and arrivals does change by a Savings Time hour

OR

not changing causes the arrivals and departures in Hawaii to be offset an hour

Thus this causes a Hawaii departure to be an hour earlier to arrive at the same time

on the mainland as it was pre-DST - flying time is the same.

YES it is complicated - solution to go on a permanent time zone change in respect

to the sunlight (daylight) or whatever measurable factor is considered !

The closer to the earth's equator the less change needed -

Alaska however it makes a world of difference -

It isn't call the land of the Mid-Night Sun just as a lark !

###

GRANTED this does not apply to the OP's Hawaii flight Honolulu to Kona

"BUT" with the bulk of the mainland flights arriving an hour difference

this may affect the Hawaii interisland originating/connecting flight schedule.