Norfolk, VA - Just for Fun: Oasis of the Seas - will she fit?

TPKeller

On another social media site, the question came up about whether or not Oasis of the Seas would "fit" into the Norfolk, Virginia cruise terminal.

The question piqued my curiosity, so I dug up some numbers and some graphics and created the attached mash-up, showing an overhead photo of Oasis of the Seas docked at the cruise terminal in Norfolk.

The sources are Google Maps, and a photo of Oasis from Royal Caribbean.  As best I can determine, the relative scale is correct.  I used the known dimensions of the USS Wisconsin, parked next door to the terminal, compared to Oasis herself to adjust the size of the overhead photo to the correct scale.

I believe the channel is sufficient for her to reach the terminal from the sea, and there are no bridges to worry about... so let's go!!  😄

Theron

Oasis-in-Norfolk.jpg

Edited by TPKeller
  • Thanks 1

Gosh that would be FABULOUS!    Would love to be able to drive to the port versus flying & overnight hotel (not to mention all the stress of the day before traveling and hoping the weather cooperates).  Was contemplating a NCL cruise which departs from NY and does a stop in Norfolk.  I inquired if I could just start the cruise in Norfolk (and end as scheduled back in NY).  No one could give me an answer to my inquiry.  (Sorry - won't consider Carnival).

Edited by pasodancer
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

Gosh that would be FABULOUS!    Would love to be able to drive to the port versus flying & overnight hotel (not to mention all the stress of the day before traveling and hoping the weather cooperates).  Was contemplating a NCL cruise which departs from NY and does a stop in Norfolk.  I inquired if I could just start the cruise in Norfolk (and end as scheduled back in NY).  No one could give me an answer to my inquiry.  (Sorry - won't consider Carnival).

A Norfolk to New York cruise would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) unless it  were to make a port call at what is known as  a "distant foreign port". The nearest distant foreign ports to the East Coast are the ABC islands and they are too far away to be part of a one week to 10 day cruise.

Simple answer: No you can't start in Norfolk and end in NY as that would not be a legal cruise.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

A Norfolk to New York cruise would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) unless it  were to make a port call at what is known as  a "distant foreign port". The nearest distant foreign ports to the East Coast are the ABC islands and they are too far away to be part of a one week to 10 day cruise.

Simple answer: No you can't start in Norfolk and end in NY as that would not be a legal cruise.

? Why would Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao be considered for such a cruise, when a stop in the Bahamas or Eastern Canada would satisfy the PVSA requirement?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

? Why would Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao be considered for such a cruise, when a stop in the Bahamas or Eastern Canada would satisfy the PVSA requirement?

The Bahamas or Canada, Bermuda and most of the Caribbean islands only satisfy the PVSA  foreign port requirement for closed loop cruises...cruises that start and end in the same port. 

An open jaw cruise such as Norfolk to NY requires a call at a distant foreign port and per the PVSA the closest distant foreign ports to the East Coast are the ABC islands.

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The Bahamas or Canada, Bermuda and most of the Caribbean islands only satisfy the PVSA  foreign port requirement for closed loop cruises...cruises that start and end in the same port. 

An open jaw cruise such as Norfolk to NY requires a call at a distant foreign port and per the PVSA the closest distant foreign ports to the East Coast are the ABC islands.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I was at Norfolk when i was on the getaway a few weeks ago, one thing i noticed is that is no turning basin to turn the ship around near the terminal. The only place to turn the ship around is by the cargo terminal

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

I was at Norfolk when i was on the getaway a few weeks ago, one thing i noticed is that is no turning basin to turn the ship around near the terminal. The only place to turn the ship around is by the cargo terminal

I've sailed Empress and Grandeur out of Norfolk.  I can't remember which, but on one of those cruises, we turned around just south of the pier, basically right in front of the park.  Of course, Oasis is about 300 feet longer than Empress.

Another interesting data point, the USS Wisconsin draws almost 38 feet of water under a full load.  Oasis "only" draws 31.  I'm sure Wisconsin was not fully loaded when she moved to her current location, but I don't think the water depth will be a problem for Oasis.

Theron

• 3 weeks later...

Have they upgraded the terminal in the last 7 years? Did a carnival cruise to nowhere years ago and the terminal was just a mess. Long line outside to get up the one elevator to get in to start the process. I could only imagine how bad it would be with double the passenger load. 

On 3/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, 14Terry said:

I’d like to see ANY RC ship cruise out of Norfolk! I enjoyed cruises on both the Enchantment and the Grandeur from there. Both were great cruises. 

Ditto!  Celebrity Horizon and Holland America Maasdam also both home ported in Norfolk years ago, before they built the terminal.

I think a major deterrent is the fact that there is no parking at the pier.  It's smack downtown Norfolk and while there are a couple of parking garages nearby, they are not set up for long term parking.  The parking lot is remote and you have to be bussed to and from the ship, which is a major pain in the neck.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Janet524 said:

I think a major deterrent is the fact that there is no parking at the pier.  It's smack downtown Norfolk and while there are a couple of parking garages nearby, they are not set up for long term parking.  The parking lot is remote and you have to be bussed to and from the ship, which is a major pain in the neck.  

I agree.  Add the traffic that an Oasis sized ship (or larger) would create, the Norfolk terminal is not a desirable turnaround cruise terminal.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, death_star said:

Have they upgraded the terminal in the last 7 years? Did a carnival cruise to nowhere years ago and the terminal was just a mess. Long line outside to get up the one elevator to get in to start the process. I could only imagine how bad it would be with double the passenger load. 

they upgraded the gangways at the terminal with newer ones

https://nauticus.org/2021/10/20/construction-begins-on-norfolks-new-2-6-million-cruise-ship-gangway/

• Like 1

It looks like Carnival has 7 sailings out of Norfolk this year, 5 or 6 nights to The Bahamas.

Also, NCL has about 20 sailings out of New York that stop in Norfolk for a port call.

All good developments that will hopefully continue to be successful and lead to more sailings in the future!

Theron

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’d like to see ANY RC ship cruise out of Norfolk! I enjoyed cruises on both the Enchantment and the Grandeur from there. Both were great cruises. 

I too would love the ability to be able to sail more options so close to home, this is a main reason we switched from PC on Mardi Gras to the Magic again. The eliminating the need for airfare and pre cruise hotel we can splurge a lil on other things. I hope RC or even NCL comes to Norfolk but I will drive from Richmond to Bmore or NY if need be

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Enchantment ship was old, worn and boring.

Sadly, with the traffic on I-95 and in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area, we can probably fly to Florida in about the time it would take to drive to Norfolk from NoVA!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across this today... the photo on this Facebook post shows the USS Nimitz making her way down the Elizabeth River from the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, so to pass the pier (at the far top of the photo) where cruise ships dock.

This is pretty good evidence that an Oasis class ship would fit there just fine!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=159312873265839&set=a.143632114833915

• Thanks 1