What happens, if....

We are booked on a cruise out of Italy in October.  We are spending a few precruise days in Bologna.  Since we will need to test 48 hours prior, we'll already be in Italy by that time.  If we test positive and can't board the ship, what do we do?  I'm guessing we can't get into a hotel or on an airplane.  So what are our choices?

27 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

We are booked on a cruise out of Italy in October.  We are spending a few precruise days in Bologna.  Since we will need to test 48 hours prior, we'll already be in Italy by that time.  If we test positive and can't board the ship, what do we do?  I'm guessing we can't get into a hotel or on an airplane.  So what are our choices?

There is no way of knowing what the testing protocols will be like in October or what the cruise line will be offering as far as accommodation for a person who tests positive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

By October there could be many changes -- right now it's hard to predict what will happen from one week to the next let alone 7 months from now.  I believe you need a negative test to enter the US so you would probably have to stay in Italy until you tested negative.  Again by October there could be a whole new set of rules. Good luck. Hope you get to enjoy Italy and your cruise.

• Like 1

Having just returned from overseas ....

two of our party (of 19) tested positive the day prior to return to the US.  17 of us boarded United the next day and went home.  The other 2 had to stay in the hotel, in their rooms, eating room service for 5 days.  On the 5th day the lab that did our original test returned and tested those 2.  They tested negative, and returned home.  

Take-away -- get good trip insurance.  The insurance paid for the hotel stay, United rebooked their ticket with no change fee.  

Good insurance is expensive though.  Each of us paid more than two nights lodging for insurance on our 1 week trip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

A hotel would only know you were positive if you told them.  If you test positive just get a room somewhere and isolate for a period of time. 

There are some insurance policies that will cover those costs for you.   If that happens.  

If testing is still required before our August med cruise that is what we will do.  

Testing privately in Italy is one thing, and if taking a non-proctored home test indicates a positive Covid result, one wouldn't necessarily be legally obligated to report such to a hotel.  The problem comes in obtaining a positive result from a screening for international travel.  That would be reported to Italian authorities, and the patient would be required to quarantine in a government approved hotel or a private residence, and be subject to government health and quarantine monitoring.  

When I traveled outside the country, I brought with 4 "home" tests, and three "proctored" tests.  Before each airline leg, I would screen myself with a home test, so I knew I was still negative, then go online with a proctored test to obtain the needed certified test results needed by the airlines, and US immigration.  In one country, they required the test be conducted by an in-country lab, so I shelled out $65 for that test.  Incidentally, it was that in-country lab that identified two of our party as positive, resulting in the unexpected extended stay.

Just plan ahead, and have insurance.  If not, wait a while and things will change.