Amsterdam connection time?

khuselid

Hi all,

We are flying VCE to PDX in April after our cruise. We have 2 layovers the one I am concerned about is Amsterdam. Coming from VCE we will have 55 minutes to connect with our flight to SEA. 

Elsewhere folks have said that 55 minutes isn't long enough in Amsterdam.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Kim

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It might be a "legal" connection ( airlines don't schedule illegal connections), but given you need to clear another security check if your next stop is SEA(or any US airport), I wouldn't be very comfortable with that layover. 

Thanks. I would have to change it at this point so I'll just have to risk it!

1 hour ago, khuselid said:

Thanks. I would have to change it at this point so I'll just have to risk it!

????

Yes, it you wanted something different you would have to change it.

Sounds like you bought air through your cruiseline and this is what they gave you.  And now you have questions.

I've been through AMS a number of times.  You would be going from the Schengen side of the terminal to the extra-Schengen section, which means an outbound immigration processing.  Then walk to your gate area and another security screening.  I wouldn't be happy with only 50 minutes.

31 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

????

Sounds like you bought air through your cruiseline and this is what they gave you.  And now you have questions.

I've been through AMS a number of times.  You would be going from the Schengen side of the terminal to the extra-Schengen section, which means an outbound immigration processing.  Then walk to your gate area and another security screening.  I wouldn't be happy with only 50 minutes.

Thank you. I had my TA go back to Oceania and they changed us back to our original itinerary on Lufthansa, pays to have a good TA and to squeak!

Thanks all!

2 hours ago, khuselid said:

Thank you. I had my TA go back to Oceania and they changed us back to our original itinerary on Lufthansa, pays to have a good TA and to squeak!

Thanks all!

I think a good TA wouldn't have accepted that tight a connection without being very knowledgeable about your mobility, ability, and comfort with that tight a connection. Is that true of your TA?

Most airlines have eased or eliminated many change fees, unless you have the absolute most stringent fare restrictions. Not a huge deal to change most flights.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 5:44 PM, FlyerTalker said:

????

Researching flights  with Delta/KLM for a cruise next year(2023) withr Viking Cruise  Stockholm to Copenhagen. Will be flying from MSP , which is 10 minutes from my house.  Using this years flight times and layover for examples  I find I could do it with a 2 /12 hr layover both ways in AMS.

Been years since I flew into AMS.

Does our luggage go  straight  through going and coming back to USA?

I remember we had to  gather our luggage and then take it somewhere else  when we arrived at AMS years ago.  

When does  airfare for June 22 2023 come out , 330 days  ahead? 

I am looking at this route  because I do not want to travel through JFK or ATL

We will be going in early and staying  post cruise in Copenhagen.

Thank  you  for any advice. 

Have enough time to  buy my own fare and not use Viking Air.  

23 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I remember we had to  gather our luggage and then take it somewhere else  when we arrived at AMS years ago.  

When does  airfare for June 22 2023 come out , 330 days  ahead? 

I am looking at this route  because I do not want to travel through JFK or ATL

We will be going in early and staying  post cruise in Copenhagen.

Thank  you  for any advice. 

Have enough time to  buy my own fare and not use Viking Air.  

Yes, your bags will go to your final destination.

Most airlines will release 330 days out...Delta included.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Azulann said:

You luggage will automatically transfer to next flight in AMS - immigration/Passport check will take place in AMS arriving and leaving the Schengen area.
Please check for ETIAS visa requirement before your travel - Schengen Area will introduce a new ETIAS during 2022.

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, hallasm said:

You luggage will automatically transfer to next flight in AMS - immigration/Passport check will take place in AMS arriving and leaving the Schengen area.
Please check for ETIAS visa requirement before your travel - Schengen Area will introduce a new ETIAS during 2022.

Thought the new ETIAS doesn't start until Jan 2023?

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thought the new ETIAS doesn't start until Jan 2023?

Possible - originally the plan was in early 2022 - now the official announcement is "The travel authorization will be an obligatory requirement as of 2022."  - more likely end of 2022, but introduction may still be delayed into 2023.

Edited by hallasm

6 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Possible - originally the plan was in early 2022 - now the official announcement is "The travel authorization will be an obligatory requirement as of 2022."  - more likely end of 2022, but introduction may still be delayed into 2023.

According to this:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

the ETIAS starts in May 2023. That is what I am playing by...as we have a flight to Copenhagen in two months, and are planning one to AMS in June 2023.

25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

the ETIAS starts in May 2023.

Not start but “…the system is expected to be fully operational in May 2023.”

Might not necessarily be operational for both air, land and sea from start.
Cost will be € 7 for three years -  free for people above 70.

ECA1EF1D-B5D9-476C-A38C-7ED61AA612A8.jpeg

16 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Not start but “…the system is expected to be fully operational in May 2023.”

Might not necessarily be operational for both air, land and sea from start.
Cost will be € 7 for three years -  free for people above 70.

ECA1EF1D-B5D9-476C-A38C-7ED61AA612A8.jpeg

I had seen the " will become a reality at the end of 2022" statement before, that was why I said "end of 2022" above. Awfully vague terms by the EU!

On 3/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Most airlines have eased or eliminated many change fees, unless you have the absolute most stringent fare restrictions. Not a huge deal to change most flights.

While this is true, you do have to pay the fare difference. In our case the difference was more than we paid for the original ticket.

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

While this is true, you do have to pay the fare difference. In our case the difference was more than we paid for the original ticket.

That depends on the airline, fare and reason for changes/switches.