ARRIVCAN Question

loving goldens

50 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

What about if we have Victoria before Vancouver? 

Thanks.

Just to clarify, you have a port stop in Victoria, disembark the following day in Vancouver,  and then fly out to the US later that day?

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Just to clarify, you have a port stop in Victoria, disembark the following day in Vancouver,  and then fly out to the US later that day?

Yes, we have a port stop in Victoria and disembark the following day in Vancouver. We are Canadians so just fly to Toronto on the day of disembarkation. Victoria is our first port in Canada, so I think we need to fill up the info on ArrCan app.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

Yes, we have a port stop in Victoria and disembark the following day in Vancouver. We are Canadians so just fly to Toronto on the day of disembarkation. Victoria is our first port in Canada, so I think we need to fill up the info on ArrCan app.

Thanks.

In the "Enter your marine trip details" section, you would need to put Victoria as your Port of Entry. No issue there.

As you will be retuning home the following day, for the section "What is the full address of the location in Canada where you will be staying", I'd select Returning home as my destination type and list my home address. Effectively, you enter Canada in Victoria and then are in transit until you get home the following day. CBSA wants want to know where to contact you over the next 14 days, so you'll be home for 13 of those days and that appears to be the most logical address to list. 

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In the "Enter your marine trip details" section, you would need to put Victoria as your Port of Entry. No issue there.

As you will be retuning home the following day, for the section "What is the full address of the location in Canada where you will be staying", I'd select Returning home as my destination type and list my home address. Effectively, you enter Canada in Victoria and then are in transit until you get home the following day. CBSA wants want to know where to contact you over the next 14 days, so you'll be home for 13 of those days and that appears to be the most logical address to list. 

Got it! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying from US to Vancouver for a Viking cruise one way to Alaska. Flying up on 6/30 with 2 nights in a hotel, cruise leaves on 7/2. We need to do arriveCAN for the flight to Vancouver which I already have the receipt for. Being told by Viking that we are required to do a second arriveCAN to prove vaccination within 72 hrs of boarding the ship. So after we arrive in Vancouver and use the first arriveCAN receipt we will have to do a second arriveCAN receipt with cruise info to enable us to board the ship. The travel instructions for cruise ships from the Canadian Government says that a second submission is not required if you are cruising to another country and not returning to Canada but for some reason Viking is requiring it. The arriveCAN form is not set up for this scenario as our ship will be departing from Vancouver Harbor not arriving. I’m heard that you just need to put information into the form to make it work to show what your doing, boarding in Vancouver, cruising to another country, and not returning to Canadian waters. Anything that I’m missing.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mdrg12 said:

We are flying from US to Vancouver for a Viking cruise one way to Alaska. Flying up on 6/30 with 2 nights in a hotel, cruise leaves on 7/2. We need to do arriveCAN for the flight to Vancouver which I already have the receipt for. Being told by Viking that we are required to do a second arriveCAN to prove vaccination within 72 hrs of boarding the ship. So after we arrive in Vancouver and use the first arriveCAN receipt we will have to do a second arriveCAN receipt with cruise info to enable us to board the ship. The travel instructions for cruise ships from the Canadian Government says that a second submission is not required if you are cruising to another country and not returning to Canada but for some reason Viking is requiring it. The arriveCAN form is not set up for this scenario as our ship will be departing from Vancouver Harbor not arriving. I’m heard that you just need to put information into the form to make it work to show what your doing, boarding in Vancouver, cruising to another country, and not returning to Canadian waters. Anything that I’m missing.

Thanks!

Viking should accept your original proof of vaccination that you had to upload to ArriveCAN. As you say, the app was never set up for this purpose. Imagine how ridiculous it is to insist that a Canadian taking the cruise make an ArriveCAN submission instead of showing their Canadian proof of vaccination.

That said, if they insist on an ArriveCAN receipt, just show them the one you have already received for entry into Canada on the 30th.

2 hours ago, Mdrg12 said:

Thanks!

Pick Entry by Marine, Country of Original Departure Canada, Port of Entry Vancouver, use the same date and time for embarkation and arrival in Canada, then pick your ship, enter cabin number, and go through the rest of the prompts. 

It's clumsy because ArriveCan was not designed for this purpose but the government still saw it fit to require it to be used for departing cruise passengers. 

Edited by cmich068

49 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Viking should accept your original proof of vaccination that you had to upload to ArriveCAN. As you say, the app was never set up for this purpose. Imagine how ridiculous it is to insist that a Canadian taking the cruise make an ArriveCAN submission instead of showing their Canadian proof of vaccination.

That said, if they insist on an ArriveCAN receipt, just show them the one you have already received for entry into Canada on the 30th.

I completely agree with you. I don’t think they did their homework on the current requirements. Viking just updated all their requirements on 6/24 and are still requiring the marine arriveCAN receipt 72 hrs before boarding. If you talk with a Viking customer service agent they just say they can’t change company policy.

27 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

Pick Entry by Marine, Country of Original Departure Canada, Port of Entry Vancouver, use the same date and time for embarkation and arrival in Canada, then pick your ship, enter cabin number, and go through the rest of the prompts. 

It's clumsy because ArriveCan was not designed for this purpose but the government still saw it fit to require it to be used for departing cruise passengers. 

Thanks for your reply, that’s what I’ll do. Whatever it takes to keep everyone happy so we can go on our cruise!

10 hours ago, cmich068 said:

I like your work around, clumsy as it might be due to the app design.

Are you sure that the GOC requires passengers departing Canada to use the app? And if so, why for cruises and not other modes of transportation? I see this as a Viking "requirement", and apparently only to verify vaccination status.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I like your work around, clumsy as it might be due to the app design.

Are you sure that the GOC requires passengers departing Canada to use the app? And if so, why for cruises and not other modes of transportation? I see this as a Viking "requirement", and apparently only to verify vaccination status.

The only passengers departing Canada (by cruise ship) that are required to use the app are those who are leaving Canada (i.e. going to Alaska) and returning to Canada. If you are departing Canada but the cruise doesn't return you do not need ArriveCan.

• Like 1

We are cruising the Summit Iceland to Boston, Our first port in Canada will be St.John's, Newfoundland, In the ArriveCAN APP there are 2 options St.John's Marina and St.John's Marine Terminal (Newfoundland), which is the correct selection?

38 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

We are cruising the Summit Iceland to Boston, Our first port in Canada will be St.John's, Newfoundland, In the ArriveCAN APP there are 2 options St.John's Marina and St.John's Marine Terminal (Newfoundland), which is the correct selection?

St John’s Marine Terminal

1 Water St

St. John's, NL A1C 1A1

40 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

St. John's Marine Terminal. At the top of the page asking the question there should be a help bubble "See list of marine ports of entry". If you click on the bubble a popup will appear with types of ports, the first being "Cruise ship operations".

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The only passengers departing Canada (by cruise ship) that are required to use the app are those who are leaving Canada (i.e. going to Alaska) and returning to Canada. If you are departing Canada but the cruise doesn't return you do not need ArriveCan.

That has always been my understanding too.

I am Canadian.  I'll start my cruise in Quebec, and the disembarkation port is New York. Does it mean I don't require to use ArriveCan before embarkation day of Quebec?

I will fly from New York back to Canada, I need to use ArriveCan in New York?

Am I correct?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, HSBC said:

I am Canadian.  I'll start my cruise in Quebec, and the disembarkation port is New York. Does it mean I don't require to use ArriveCan before embarkation day of Quebec?

Am I correct?

Thanks!

So long as the cruise does not visit a non-Canadian port and then a Canadian one, yes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HSBC said:

Am I correct?

Thanks!

Correct on both counts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I think you're right, but if the cruise line is asking for it, path of least resistance etc.

I

11 hours ago, cmich068 said:

I think you're right, but if the cruise line is asking for it, path of least resistance etc

52 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Excellent point.

'm not sure that I agree. You are submitting a knowingly incorrect filing to a government department.

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I

'm not sure that I agree. You are submitting a knowingly incorrect filing to a government department.

I was agreeing that taking the path of least resistance is an excellent point, but I'm not suggesting that an incorrect filing be submitted. If Viking is going to erroneously insist upon seeing a receipt, rather than fight them, @Mdrg12 should show the receipt from his/her pre-cruise flight into Vancouver, as I suggested previously.

• Like 1

I have entered all the required information, but when I get to the end I get the error code pictured below.  I am connected to the internet.  I have the most recent version of the app.  I have started over at least 6 times this morning.  I have googled “ArriveCAN error code 3-150” and get nothing useful.  Any words of wisdom on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it?

ETA: the 101st time I attempted to submit, it went through!!!  In the words of Emily Latella, never mind.  

Edited by bbstx

2 hours ago, bbstx said:

I have entered all the required information, but when I get to the end I get the error code pictured below.  I am connected to the internet.  I have the most recent version of the app.  I have started over at least 6 times this morning.  I have googled “ArriveCAN error code 3-150” and get nothing useful.  Any words of wisdom on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it?

ETA: the 101st time I attempted to submit, it went through!!!  In the words of Emily Latella, never mind.  

Where is the pictures of the error code? While you no longer need the help, someone else may find it useful.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, Fouremco said:

LOL. Nothing like a change in plans, eh?

For the second submission, you will use Vancouver as your Port of Entry and your disembarkation date as your date of arrival. Although your entry will be a couple of weeks away, that is the date you will be entering that they are looking for, not the day that you start your cruise.

I'll be back tomorrow if you have any follow up questions! 😇

We are back.  Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your patience in helping me through the ArriveCan process.  Everything went smoothly without issues thanks to your guidance.  The only place  I physically had to show the app receipt was at the Seattle Airport for our flight from Seattle to Vancouver; our boarding pass was stamped "verified" by the counter personnel.  Long lines for people who did not fill out the app ahead of time --- felt sorry for the counter personnel.  Hopefully, the app will be a thing of the past next year.  Two Seattle to Seattle cruises (on different lines) with a stop in Victoria are planned for this August.  So, I guess I fill be filling out the app again.

• Thanks 1