My turn to beat the dead horse... Ft. Lauderdale hotel recommendation?

Ilovesailaway

I grew up going to First Presbyterian, Church, which is adjacent to the Episcopal church. We often canoed to church and pulled up on a dock belonging to the Episcopal church.

For the OP’s location, Smokers park is a lot easier to get to- no need to get to north side of the river!

Being in the parade is fun. I did it for a number of years. Including one year when the boat I was on was sponsored by “Save the Manatee.” Jimmy Buffett was supposed to be there, but couldn’t make it at the last minute.

My mother and a friend were on a small sailboat a number of years as a tin solder in front of a cannon. I think they were “shot” and fell down 250 times.

42 minutes ago, phabric said:

Does the water taxi ride on that day?

I’d expect taxi service on the New River to end about 5: 00pm. I’d expect intercostal traffic to be suspended around 6:30.

I expect that they will likely offer a party on one of their larger craft.

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:34 PM, BlueHerons said:

The absolute best place to watch the parade is at my church All Saints Episcopal Church.  It is at the beginning of the parade before the bend in The New River with out the large gaps in the parade.

$20 and all proceeds to towards the church.

FWIW, I've been in the parade and watched it all over and there really isn't a better place.

It's a LONG day if you are in the parade.

We will be in town for the parade for the first time ever.  Are we allowed to bring chairs and small coolers to this Church?  Do we buy tickets ahead of time?  

17 hours ago, imluvncruzn said:

We will be in town for the parade for the first time ever.  Are we allowed to bring chairs and small coolers to this Church?  Do we buy tickets ahead of time?  

Historically, it’s been first come, first served.

Colee Hammock Park is a city park on the waterfront around the corner/down the street from the Episcopal church (across from the main entrance to First Presbyterian Church). Again, historically first come, first served. No tickets available or required. There’s ample parking, but please observe signage. 

if you’re staying on the south side of the river, Smokers Park is an equivalent view, and much easier to get to from SE 17th Street. I grew up living on SE 11th Street and went to First Presbyterian Church through high school, so am pretty familiar with the area.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, FOPMan said:

Historically, it’s been first come, first served.

Colee Hammock Park is a city park on the waterfront around the corner/down the street from the Episcopal church (across from the main entrance to First Presbyterian Church). Again, historically first come, first served. No tickets available or required. There’s ample parking, but please observe signage. 

if you’re staying on the south side of the river, Smokers Park is an equivalent view, and much easier to get to from SE 17th Street. I grew up living on SE 11th Street and went to First Presbyterian Church through high school, so am pretty familiar with the area.

Thanks for the info!  

On 3/22/2022 at 12:34 PM, BlueHerons said:

The absolute best place to watch the parade is at my church All Saints Episcopal Church.  It is at the beginning of the parade before the bend in The New River with out the large gaps in the parade.

$20 and all proceeds to towards the church.

FWIW, I've been in the parade and watched it all over and there really isn't a better place.

It's a LONG day if you are in the parade.

That's a deal!! Everybody wins.🙂

• 4 months later...

Getting to the Episcopal church can be a little time-consuming from the Hard Rock. 

The church is on the north side of the river. The best route fro the Hard Rock is probably up 95 to Broward Boulevard, east to SE 15th Avenue,, and turn right and cross Las Olas.

On the south side of the river, a good target is Smokers park, above the New River tunnel.  

21 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Getting to the Episcopal church can be a little time-consuming from the Hard Rock. 

The church is on the north side of the river. The best route fro the Hard Rock is probably up 95 to Broward Boulevard, east to SE 15th Avenue,, and turn right and cross Las Olas.

On the south side of the river, a good target is Smokers park, above the New River tunnel.  

Thank you!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 10:42 PM, capriccio said:

The official website (https://winterfestparade.com/events/the-seminole-hard-rock-winterfest-boat-parade) has been updated with the date December 10th and some generalities.  Some of the more detailed sections are still displaying 2021 information but that should give you answers to general questions that don't change from year to year.

Here's the updated information (AllSaintsFL.org.) on viewing the Fort Lauderdale Boat Parade at All Saints Episcopal Church:

• The gates (333 Tarpon Drive, Fort Lauderdale.) open at 5 p.m..
  • There will be food trucks and beverage kiosks.
  • Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the gate and children 9 and under free (pets are welcome).
  • There is limited parking for $10 on a first come, first served basis.

We have sailed out of Ft Lauderdale multiple times and most frequently stay at the Renaissance Hotel on 17th Street.  We've had issues being able to check in early.  The only two non-stop flights for us arrive at 11:30 AM or. 8:15 PM and we do not like getting in that late in the day.  Our next cruise out of FLL is in February and once again we are arriving on the 11:30 AM flight and will go directly to the hotel and if our room is, as usual, not ready we plan to drop our bags with the bell desk and walk over to The Boatyard for a leisurely lunch.  

Our next cruise out of FLL is in April and for a change of pace I have booked us at the Embassy Suites on 17th street and was wondering if anyone had any experience and or comments to share regarding this venu?  Also interested in any quality restaurants nearby as an alternative to The Boatyard. 

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We have sailed out of Ft Lauderdale multiple times and most frequently stay at the Renaissance Hotel on 17th Street.  We've had issues being able to check in early.  The only two non-stop flights for us arrive at 11:30 AM or. 8:15 PM and we do not like getting in that late in the day.  Our next cruise out of FLL is in February and once again we are arriving on the 11:30 AM flight and will go directly to the hotel and if our room is, as usual, not ready we plan to drop our bags with the bell desk and walk over to The Boatyard for a leisurely lunch.  

Our next cruise out of FLL is in April and for a change of pace I have booked us at the Embassy Suites on 17th street and was wondering if anyone had any experience and or comments to share regarding this venu?  Also interested in any quality restaurants nearby as an alternative to The Boatyard. 

Do yourself a favor and book the Hyatt Place behind E.S. You will be happier there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Do yourself a favor and book the Hyatt Place behind E.S. You will be happier there. 

We stay at Hyatt Place too pre-cruise usually. Last time we stayed at the Embassy Suites it was tired, which isn't a big usually, but when there is a nicer alternative practically next door, it is a no brainer.

We have stayed at the Renaissance and like it somewhat.  Never got to arrive early as our plane got delayed until midnight. We like it there as it is close to water taxi, shopping and Boatyard and Einstein's Bagels.  We hope we get to FLL by 2 PM and get to enjoy the sights.  We used to stay at Pier 66(close now) and Hilton and they were okay as well. None were especially wonderful.

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thanks.  We will check that out.  Been years since we stayed at a Hyatt hotel. 

If you do stay at H.P. and arrive early the more than likely will get you in a room ASAP. Friendly staff, clean rooms, not busy like E.S. Free breakfast, $2 per room ride from the airport, just call when you are outside with your luggage. If the driver is in between pickups he took us to the beach. I did tip him for the ride.

• Like 1