My turn to beat the dead horse... Ft. Lauderdale hotel recommendation?

Ilovesailaway

It's been a few years since I've booked a Fort Lauderdale hotel. DW and I will need a room for 1 night pre cruise. We will most likely arrive 6-8pm. We won't have a car and won't be looking to explore the area. I'm looking for an upscale hotel with a nice on site restaurant. We won't need to be near the beach and we won't be using the hotel pool. Convenience to FLL and or Port Everglades would be helpful for Uber purposes but I won't rule out a property if it's a little out of the way. We are looking for more of a property you would use for a date night or special occasion. Budget is 200 to 300 and we are traveling early December. (I know, I plan early)

Any advise would be appreciated

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd is a nice place. Plenty of excellent restaurants in the vicinity including Louie Bossi’s, Tuscan Grill, Big City Grill, Rocco’s Tacos and American Social. A short fifteen minute ride over to Port Everglades.

• Like 4

I would recommend checking Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel.  They have an on-site restaurant, but also many other option in walking distance.

Direct shot into PE on Eisenhower Drive.  Very nice Hotel that i have stayed at before.  current pre tax rate for early Dec seems to be $239.

Most if not all major motels book 12 months out.  So No its not to early to be booking for Dec 2022

Edited by cruisegus

Hyatt Place and walk directly across a small residential street to https://www.bistromezzaluna.com.

If you like Italian food, you will be very happy. It’s very much suited to an adult date night, and is a local favorite. 

None of the hotels in Fort Lauderdale on 17th Street have “must dine” restaurants on property.

if staying at the Renaissance, I’d probably walk over to The Boatyard (a couple of hundred feet, and I use a walker to help me walk).

I ended up booking Le Meridien Dania Beach at Fort Lauderdale Airport. The hotel looks very nice, a modern classy property with a highly rated onsite restaurant. I booked the cruise package which includes full breakfast for 2 and transportation to Port Everglades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a lot around Dania Beach hotels.

If you can I would take a look at the Hyatt Centric on Las Olas and dine at Eddie Vs or Salt 7.  Two excellent restaurants.

Also, depending on your dates, you may be in town for the Winterfest Boat Parade or one of the tree lightings.

12 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Hyatt Centric on Las Olas

Ty BlueHerons, I did look at Hyatt Centric, looks like an excellent property. It had the amenities I was looking for and it made my short list. I decided to go with Le Meridien for the Marriott Bonvoy points.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

We are looking for more of a property you would use for a date night or special occasion. Budget is 200 to 300 and we are traveling early December. (I know, I plan early). Any advise would be appreciated

Not that I am high maintenance, but most of the properties I would use for a date night or special occasion are coming in at more than $500 a night. The one exception is the Kimpton Goodland Hotel which is coming in at $340, before taxes.

If I was looking for a nice, practical hotel, it would be the Hyatt Centric Las Olas because of its proximity to very good dining.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, scottca075 said:

Not that I am high maintenance, but most of the properties I would use for a date night or special occasion are coming in at more than $500 a night

Which hotels would that be?  I've been looking at the Hilton Conrad, usually stay at the Hilton Marina but it's under construction in some areas.  Now trying to find an alternative.  Will research the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel someone here recommended but do you know of others in the somewhat higher range considering a nicer restaurant and facility?

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The Conrad would be one of them, but it was was coming it at around $650 in "early December", the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and W were all over $600. Even the Marriott Harbor Beach was over $500.

Thanks for response.....Just checked the Conrad....Cdn $800+ for one night.  Increased quite a bit over the past few months since I last considered it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Which hotels would that be?  I've been looking at the Hilton Conrad, usually stay at the Hilton Marina but it's under construction in some areas.  Now trying to find an alternative.  Will research the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel someone here recommended but do you know of others in the somewhat higher range considering a nicer restaurant and facility?

Update.....called the H Marina directly and told their renovation is completed, but dining room is closed and breakfast buffet has been moved within the hotel to an 'event room'.  Reading the reviews it seems there's ongoing construction outside.  We'll keep our reservation for now;  if we wait to decide closer to our sail date we may not have a choice in hotels, but will still keep looking for a better option.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:51 PM, BlueHerons said:

Also, depending on your dates, you may be in town for the Winterfest Boat Parade or one of the tree lightings.

Do you know the dates of these events in Dec?

No charge, unless you want to buy a seat in grandstand or restaurant.

The cheapest way is to get to 

26.11755° N, 80.13722° W, aka Smokers Park, aka Smoker Park.

it’s about 12 minutes from the Hyatt near 17th street, with no traffic lights after 17th street and 3 or 4 stop signs, if going on Rio Vista Boulevard.

I’d pick up fried chicken at Publix or a sun (Publix is really good at both), and beverages of choice. 

There will be no seating, unless you bring some.

You are in one of the three safest neighborhoods in town when you are in Rio Vista.

(The above is very local knowledge- I grew up in Rio Vista and have a lot of friends who live on Rio Vista Boulevard- we’d usually ride bikes across the neighborhood, leave them at a friends’ house, and walk the last couple of hundred feet to the river, if we weren’t directly on the river in someone’s backyard.)

10 hours ago, phabric said:

Is the Boat Parade is in Ft Lauderdale Dec10?

We will be staying at Hyatt Place 17th St on Dec 10.

Where do you go to see the Boat Parada while in FLL?  Is there a charge to see it?

The official website (https://winterfestparade.com/events/the-seminole-hard-rock-winterfest-boat-parade) has been updated with the date December 10th and some generalities.  Some of the more detailed sections are still displaying 2021 information but that should give you answers to general questions that don't change from year to year.

13 hours ago, phabric said:

Is the Boat Parade is in Ft Lauderdale Dec10?

We will be staying at Hyatt Place 17th St on Dec 10.

Where do you go to see the Boat Parada while in FLL?  Is there a charge to see it?

Oh what luck for you……

Why get a seat in a crowded park……. Why not join the parade? Make the absolute most of your 1 night stay…… I am a Fort Lauderdale Tour boat Captain. No….. I am not selling a tour. I am giving a great tip. I have local knowledge!

There is a approx 80ft dinner cruiser called Mussette. Every year they offer a dinner package for the Christmas Boat Parade that is very reasonably priced. I must admit, I have never been on Mussette because I am the Captain of another boat that we use as

a Private charter for parade so no seats are available on my boat.

It’s a long night. Expect at least 5 hours possibly longer, but you get to see Fort Lauderdale completely lit up with Christmas Lights. You will also see the other boats because it takes a lot of staging to get us all in our correct numbered positions. The route is approx 10 miles. It actually ends in Pompano Beach, so you be on a 20 mile cruise. Best view possible too. You will be amazed how many homes are having catered parties.

This is funny….. I was searching to see if anyone stayed at this specific hotel in Rome, and this is one of the threads that popped up in my search. I guess we can call it serendipity. 

Sorry, but it’s time for me to get back to searching for Rome Hotels! Lol

• Like 1

The absolute best place to watch the parade is at my church All Saints Episcopal Church.  It is at the beginning of the parade before the bend in The New River with out the large gaps in the parade.

$20 and all proceeds to towards the church.

FWIW, I've been in the parade and watched it all over and there really isn't a better place.

It's a LONG day if you are in the parade.

• Like 1