changing deposit from non-refundable to refundable?

When I initially booked my cruise, I paid extra for a refundable deposit. Just wondering if anyone has ever changed their deposit type to non-refundable after booking to lower the total price. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever changed their deposit type to non-refundable after booking to lower the total price. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but thought I'd ask.

Possible and done all the time (if it makes sense) up till final payment. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Possible and done all the time (if it makes sense) up till final payment. 

I didn't know you could do that but I haven't cruised since the pandemic started and haven't been following all the rules.

When I booked my cruise for October I didn't see any price for refundable. The only thing I saw was non refundable.

3 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I didn't know you could do that but I haven't cruised since the pandemic started and haven't been following all the rules.

When I booked my cruise for October I didn't see any price for refundable. The only thing I saw was non refundable.

Look closer as you continue through the booking process.

4 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Assuming you are looking for a non-suite cabin, RCI makes it tough to find that rate - you have to go all the way to the end of the booking process to find it. 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Assuming you are looking for a non-suite cabin, RCI makes it tough to find that rate - you have to go all the way to the end of the booking process to find it. 

Gotcha. Yes I was just booking a CP balcony but booked with a TA.

Thanks for the info.😊

43 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

When I initially booked my cruise, I paid extra for a refundable deposit. Just wondering if anyone has ever changed their deposit type to non-refundable after booking to lower the total price. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

FYI - Your thread title is backwards.  😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

It's my understanding that in order to change from refundable to non-refundable, you have to reprice the cabin. 

So, a reprice for non-refundable could be more or less than your initial refundable price (the "if it makes sense" part of Biker's reply).

I did a mock booking and a non-refundable deposit shaves about $1,000 of the price.

22 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

$1000 less than your current refundable booking or $1000 less than the current refundable price?

How close are you to final payment?

$1,000 less than my current refundable booking. Final payment date is in 10 days (3/25).

In the last 3 months I have changed 2 cruises from refundable to NRD. My TA was able to do it and kept my cabin and all my perks, actually he found me an extra perk. I waited until I had purchased my air and my cruises did fall under CWC. Saved a chunk of money.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I did a mock booking for our nonrefundable and we could pay $180 more to make it refundable.

The title is a bit misleading as the talk here is going from refundable to NRD. You would have to rebook to make it refundable from NRD - it all depends on how far out you are and how uncertain you are about the sailing if it makes sense to do it. 

Edited by Biker19

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The title is a bit misleading as the talk here is going from refundable to NRD. You would have to rebook to make it refundable from NRD - it all depends on how far out you are and how uncertain you are about the sailing if it makes sense to do it. 

The price is still the same as when I booked a few weeks ago but I'd lose my deposit of $500. I am before final payment as we don't cruise til October.

I was just thinking if I paid the $180 difference to be refundable I could cancel and book a different RCI ship if I saw a good deal.

I'm not going to lose $500 though. Happy what what we have now. One of the CP balconies that ends with the 29. 8 days that goes to Aruba too.

Just throwing my question out there for future reference.

1 minute ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I was just thinking if I paid the $180 difference to be refundable I could cancel and book a different RCI ship if I saw a good deal.

I'm not going to lose $500 though.

If the good deal sailing is before September, you should be able to just move the booking without a penalty. At most, you’d lose $100/person for any other move to another ship. 

13 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

let me ask this. Can you do as the thread title says and switch from refundable to nonrefundable. I did a mock booking for our nonrefundable and we could pay $180 more to make it refundable.

Since you only lose $100 per person with a NRD, why would you pay $180 to maybe save $100?

If that makes sense to you, please send me a check for $18,000 and I will refund you $10,000.  And then I would book another cruise, in a suite. 😄

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Since you only lose $100 per person with a NRD, why would you pay $180 to maybe save $100?

If that makes sense to you, please send me a check for $18,000 and I will refund you $10,000.  And then I would book another cruise, in a suite. 😄

Thanks Snarky. I didn't know the charge was only $100 pp instead of the whole deposit until Biker pointed that out. Excuse me for not being as well versed on all the in's and out's of RCI's rules. Have a great day .🙂

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
  • Like 1