Keeping In Touch Back Home

Angel Dust

I am looking for information regarding keeping in touch back home. Ways to communicate, best apps to use, can you make calls and best internet packages.  We will be on the Glory in June and Valor beginning of August out of New Orleans this summer and I would like to be able to check in with my Mom who is having some health issue. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. We haven't cruise since before Covid (using two cruise credits from the covid shutdown) so it's been a while and I know technology changes. 

we haven't cruises since early 2019 BUT I used to be able to get the wi-fi plan, put my phone in air mode, and was able to make calls over wifi (we have Android phones with Verizon). Since then I have read in reviews that passengers WERE and were NOT able to do so. I am interested as well.

I didn't notice on my recent cruises, but prior to COVID, one could use the cabin phone to call the USA for $1.99 per minute.

Good rate, good connection, and as a guy, I can complete a call within 5 minutes and find out all I need to know (for $10).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Social Wi-Fi plan will let you use Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp, if Mom is savvy with texting like that. Although it doesn't say it's supported, I've been able to use iMessage with my iPhone, too, although I wouldn't count on that working every time.

28 minutes ago, PhotoMike said:

The Social Wi-Fi plan will let you use Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp, if Mom is savvy with texting like that. Although it doesn't say it's supported, I've been able to use iMessage with my iPhone, too, although I wouldn't count on that working every time.

This is exactly what we do.  IMs work 100% of the time, 24/7 with the Social WiFi package as does standard email.  Only you know if communication of that sort fits your needs with respect to a parent.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I didn't notice on my recent cruises, but prior to COVID, one could use the cabin phone to call the USA for $1.99 per minute.

Good rate, good connection, and as a guy, I can complete a call within 5 minutes and find out all I need to know (for $10).

Wow! My last sailing was Celebrity... $7.95 a minute.

If on an iPhone, you can text with the Value WiFi plan but no attachments.  If you happen to have TMobile, you can do WiFi calling from the ship for free.  Plus you can text and use data from 230+ countries around the world when visiting ports for free.  Speeds are limited to 3G or 4G depending on your plan.  The nice thing about TMobile WiFi calling is that your phone can remain logged in to the WiFi and calls can come in as if back home.  Zero charge is the best part.  Last resort is the Social WiFi plan, can use Instagram or FB to stay in touch.

Edited by Mr305

We have done Face Time with our Iphone on the premium internet package to talk to our daughters and grandchildren.  Obviously, you would both have to have an Iphone or I pad for that.  As someone else suggested, you can also use Facebook messenger to text.  As far as regular phone calls, the ships phone is the easiest route.  I do believe it is $1.99 a minute, so you would need to keep it brief, but it is still cheaper than many international plans on your cell phone.  I've never had much luck on any package with wi-fi calling on the ship.  Since you are going out of N.O. you probably will be going to Cozumel.  Many U.S. cellular plans cover Mexico.  We have done that many times before as well.

6 hours ago, a4ofspades said:

we haven't cruises since early 2019 BUT I used to be able to get the wi-fi plan, put my phone in air mode, and was able to make calls over wifi (we have Android phones with Verizon). Since then I have read in reviews that passengers WERE and were NOT able to do so. I am interested as well.

We have android with Verizon too. 

On our January Valor cruise we were not able to use Verizon (recently switch to Verizon) for wi-fi calling.  We were not able to do son on our previous carrier on other cruises either.  Several years ago we had limited success with wi-fi calling with AT&T, but it was spotty at best and couldn't be relied upon.

We've used Duo messaging (Google) since our family is split between iPhone and Android.  Works great on both platforms.  Wifi calling/texting also behaved on our last cruise with both CCL and RCI, but it was set up on the phone before we left home (which might make a difference?).