Northern lights excursions Juneau

eileeshb

I’m hoping someone knows of an excursion company or similar that might operate in Juneau if/when there’s a chance of northern lights?

my cruise isn’t until 2023 and it’s mid October so I’m hoping there might be a chance of catching the northern lights. We’re due to be in Juneau until 11pm. 

I was in Juneau in the middle of October several years ago attending a Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society convention (the two groups always meet in B2B conferences).  I was there for 6 days and it rained every day with clouds and fog.  Hopefully you will have better weather.

In any event, the website for the Juneau convention and visitor's bureau should be listed in the thread titled "2019 resources" which is at the top of the Alaska index page.  You may find a listing for a company which could design an excursion for you.

20 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I was in Juneau in the middle of October several years ago attending a Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society convention (the two groups always meet in B2B conferences).  I was there for 6 days and it rained every day with clouds and fog.  Hopefully you will have better weather.

In any event, the website for the Juneau convention and visitor's bureau should be listed in the thread titled "2019 resources" which is at the top of the Alaska index page.  You may find a listing for a company which could design an excursion for you.

I’m from Ireland so rain and clouds will be just like home and I live near a major tourist spot that is often hidden by the weather so it’s not the main driver for this holiday but just researching if it’ll even be an option if the weather cooperates. 

It is anticipated that 2023 will be a good year for auroral viewing.  Find one of the auroral viewing forecast websites (the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute is a great one) and check the predictions a few days before arriving in Juneau.  They certainly can be seen in SE Alaska but not as frequently as areas farther north such as Fairbanks.  And hope for the best regarding weather.  I realize I am stating the obvious but if the conditions are low clouds and fog they can't be seen.

And can I ask -- are you in the Republic of Ireland?  We have been to Ireland both on a 23 day land trip and visited ports on a cruise around Ireland.  We have only been in Northern Ireland on a single port call.

Juneau is in a temperate rain forest, so chances are that it'll be cloudy. That being said, the best aurora display I ever saw was in Juneau...

No need for a tour. Just get away from ambient lighting on a clear night when there is aurora activity.

• 2 weeks later...

The Northern Lights -

Best viewing is while at SEA away from city port lighting early evening (sunset) hours.

Best viewing on board is the forward highest most deck away from navigation and rigging lighting.

It stands to reason that the Bridge wants their field of view uncluttered with lighting of any kind.

Mid ships near pool deck - too much lighting poor area - still yet with lights dimmed possible

Aft may also work on southbound headed itineraries

Realize that Alaska is the land of the Mid-Night Sun and there are fewer hours of darkness

to take in Northern Lights - still yet in twilight these can be remarkable.

Pay attention to announcements (if any) about the N L and perhaps there may be a note in

the ships daily newspaper. 

Strike up a conversation with the ships meterology (weather) officer who may offer hints.

Exciting and spectacular for first time viewers - the dancing green lights - - - - -

The Aurora Borealis 

The Aurora Borealis  - Search (bing.com)

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I would say the chance of seeing northern lights in October in JNU is less than 5%. October is very cloudy and rainy here. Juneau sits right in the middle of the largest temperate rainforest on Earth and gets extremely high amounts of rainfall (over twice the amount of Seattle). 

Juneau rarely gets good aurora displays in general, as it is still relatively far south compared to NL hotspots like Fairbanks. When we do get them, they are typically low on the horizon and very faint. 

But, like I said earlier, you probably won't even see that due to the clouds and rain 😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, eileeshb said:

I’m hoping someone knows of an excursion company or similar that might operate in Juneau if/when there’s a chance of northern lights?

my cruise isn’t until 2023 and it’s mid October so I’m hoping there might be a chance of catching the northern lights. We’re due to be in Juneau until 11pm. 

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast this is a great tool for forecasts 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, eileeshb said:

It maybe cheaper to head to Norway during that same time.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, eileeshb said:

Astronomical twilight at mid October ends at 8:06 PM. Also, the sky in Juneau is overcast or mostly cloudy October 80% of the time according to Weatherspark.

DON

Edited by donaldsc