port excursions on the New England/Canada cruise

Catherine Claus

Going on the Canada/New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess in September.  The ports and excursions are not interesting to us at all and am wondering if we are missing something.  We are not history buffs so would like to do interesting and fun things in these ports.  lAny suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.  Also, where exactly does the ship depart from.  My itinerary shows Manhattan or Brooklyn.  We are trying to make plank and hotel reservations.  There are 4 of us.  

Thanks

We did a Canada/New England cruise back in 2019.  We are not particularly what you would call "history buffs" either...but we thoroughly enjoyed several of the offered tours in Boston, Newport and Lexington.

In Newport you might want to take a look at any of the "Cliff Walks" tours.  We really enjoyed that one.  Particularly the Vanderbilt house "The Breakers".  This guy was RICH! He built a 3/4 size "cottage" for his daughter (granddaughter?).  It had a custom built and sized *working* refrigerator!

Your departure will be from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal according to the currently posted schedule on www.nycruise.com, which is the official site for both terminals. Princess rarely, if ever, sails out of Manhattan.  If you are making hotel reservations, I suggest Lower Manhattan as it is a very quick taxi/Uber ride through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. There are not a lot of hotels in the Red Hook area.

Thank you so much. I could not get a straight answer from anyone at Princess about the sailing port.  You have been very helpful.  Do you have any hotel recommendations for hotels.  We will be coming in 3 days before the cruise as we want to see the 9/11 memorial and go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.  Those tours leave from Battery Park.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Manhattan-Financial District on Washington Street.  It's about 1/2 mile walk to the Statue of Liberty ferry, less than that to the 911 Memorial.  And about the same to the nearest subway station if you want to go to Times Square or a Broadway show.  

My one tip about this hotel would be to ask for a lower floor.  There are limited elevators in this hotel and they are pretty small.  And, at least when we were there, there were quite a few airline crews there.  The end result is that the elevators got full quickly, and having 47 floors to stop at you can spend quite awhile waiting for the next one.  A lower floor (we were on the third floor) meant less waiting and having the option of taking the stairs.  I read all this online so I was prepared.  Also the rooms are really small.  But, the location is great.

There are other hotels in the same general area as well.

i live in Nova Scotia and have done this itinerary numerous times.  Tons of history here.  

In halifax definitely visit Pier 21 (right where you dock) it is a national museum honouring all those that travel here and called Canada home.  Sort of compared to the US Ellis Island.  Very very good.  Also the Citadel is amamzing and easy to just walk to.   

Further afield is Annapolis Royal where the Acadians settled and were forced out by the British - some settled in Louisiana and brought the french language.  

Are you going to Sydney - a strong vote for Louisburg National Historic site. 

Where else are you visiting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Your departure will be from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal according to the currently posted schedule on www.nycruise.com, which is the official site for both terminals. Princess rarely, if ever, sails out of Manhattan.  If you are making hotel reservations, I suggest Lower Manhattan as it is a very quick taxi/Uber ride through the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. There are not a lot of hotels in the Red Hook area.

How quick and expensive is an uber from said Brooklyn pier terminal to Battery Park?  Also, does the MTA service this area?

I've been to NYC a few times, but mostly stay on Manhattan Island, and I don't know a lot of the ins and outs of how to get around.

Thank you for your assistance!

14 hours ago, Mike07 said:

How quick and expensive is an uber from said Brooklyn pier terminal to Battery Park?  Also, es the MTA service this area?

According to the port website MTA is not a good choice to get to the port as it involves changing from subway to bus and the change can cause up to 6 blocks walking hauling your luggage.

14 hours ago, Mike07 said:

I've been to NYC a few times, but mostly stay on Manhattan Island, and I don't know a lot of the ins and outs of how to get around.

21 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

In Newport you might want to take a look at any of the "Cliff Walks" tours.  We really enjoyed that one.  Particularly the Vanderbilt house "The Breakers".  This guy was RICH! He built a 3/4 size "cottage" for his daughter (granddaughter?).  It had a custom built and sized *working* refrigerator!

Clarification on this...the "cottage" was built to serve as a dollhouse!

16 hours ago, Mike07 said:

How quick and expensive is an uber from said Brooklyn pier terminal to Battery Park?  Also, does the MTA service this area?

You can go onto the WEB Uber site to get an estimate of the time and cost.

DON

map of hotels in financial district nyc - Search (bing.com)

I have attached a map of hotels located in the financial district.  My wife and I are booked at the Hampton Inn Financial District for our Oct cruise.  We plan on visiting Ellis Island, 911 memorial, WTC musuem, and eat pizza.  On Saturday we will uber from hotel to Wall Street Ferry, then take ferry to Red Hook.  On the map you can see Red Hook Terminal in lower right corner.  Hampton Inn is two blocks from Ferry terminal and Subway station.  I believe the Wall Street Ferry is $2.50 per person to Red Hook.