Celebrity cruise items off your packing list

mfs2k

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Looking at old packing lists and realizing I no longer pack cigars, lighters and cigar cutters. Makes me reminiscent of some great ship cigar lounges. 

I used to have a cigar or two on a cruise.  The Connoisseurs Club on RCCL ships was a good place to go in the old days for cigars and whiskeys. 

• Like 2

I no longer bring formal dress or as much semi-formal dress.  I might bring a sportcoat just because I've never found them uncomfortable (when in proper climate control, at least) and because I like the pockets.  I don't pack ties, anymore.  If one is ever required for the dining room (on a different line), I'll just dine elsewhere that night.  I don't even bring long-sleeved shirts, anymore.  DW still brings a couple of gowns.

Certainly no film or extra camera unless we are concerned about water (certainly for underwater photos).

I don't bring instant espresso, anymore, since Café al Bacio has very good espresso.

We no longer pack an empty carry-on since we won't buy anything we can't ship or bring home in the baggage we brought (and we rarely buy anything larger than a refrigerator magnet or, maybe, a Christmas three ornament).

No more foreign currency (except when I think it might be very difficult to get some), and less currency for tips overall (since the basic ones could be prepaid or put on the account).

No more cigars and cigar accessories, but that was only for a short time anyhow.

I'm sure there are some other things, but I can't think of them at the moment.  I do know that the luggage is a lot lighter than it used to be, and it ain't because I've been working out!

Switching to a kindle was one of the best decisions I've ever made!  Also no need for a camera, maps, translators, dictionaries because I have my phone. Not going to bring anything too formal to wear. 

Edited by sydbarrett
  • Like 1

No more....

-35mm film camera with film and extra lenses

-digital camera

-handheld tape or DVD camera/recorder

-extra AA and/or AAA batteries

-over ear headphones

-iPod

-laptop

in fairness, the above have been replaced by an iPhone, a GoPro, extra charging cords, a small blu tooth speaker, iPad and ear buds.  Still, all much smaller than what I used to carry

-ties

-dress shoes

-dress shirts

-dress pants

-sport coat

-suit

-blow drier

-soap

-shampoo

(those were replaced by what's available in the ship's cabin)

-razors and shave cream (now replaced by a small Panasonic electric wet/dry razor)

-dress watch and a plastic knock around watch (replaced by an Apple Watch)

-rum runners (who needs them with drink perks)

-paperbacks

Edited by graphicguy

On 3/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, Barwick Cruiser said:

While I prefer an actual book I hesitate to bring my iPad loaded with books as I enjoy reading by the pool or up in the sky lounge. What do you e readers do when you want to just pop into the restroom, go for a quick dip or grab a bite? Take everything with you or leave it hidden on your lounger? I’m afraid of returning to my chair and my iPad is missing. An actual book stolen would be sad but not the end of the world. Also, same issues at a beach where I enjoy reading my book but couldn’t imagine taking an iPad or reader and leaving it while I take a dip. Am I just paranoid? 

I just put it in my bag and don’t worry. They can be had for under $100. If you are purchasing books you will save that much quickly since electronic books are so much cheap than even paperbacks. That said, I get a ton of my e-books from the library 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cookiersmom said:

Certainly less shoes!

I wish my wife would pack less shoes. I remember cruises we’ve taken with one soft side suitcase filled with just her shoes. 
I fear she won’t read the “pack lighter nowadays” memo for Beyond 9 nts.

I’ll plan clothes for each day/ night and put in packing cubes. She’ll throw every outfit she might want to wear in her suitcases so she has a selection to choose from. 
 ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I wish my wife would pack less shoes. I remember cruises we’ve taken with one soft side suitcase filled with just her shoes. 
I fear she won’t read the “pack lighter nowadays” memo for Beyond 9 nts.

I’ll plan clothes for each day/ night and put in packing cubes. She’ll throw every outfit she might want to wear in her suitcases so she has a selection to choose from. 
 ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ 

I have learned that asking my dw to bring less shoes is not a productive conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Toiletries sand electronics are the only cutbacks for us. We still dress up for chic nights. I'm taking pants, a shirt and shoes anyway so there is no space saving by eliminating those items. Phones + iPad with a keyboard typically gets me by unless I swap the iPad for my MacBook Pro. Less chargers since I have never found the need to have every device charging simultaneously.

A Caribbean cruise is pretty easy and I don't mind overpacking a little since we're not hauling luggage through old European cities, on and off trains, etc. 

I remember our first cruise looked like we were moving onboard....wow, have times changed!
I haven't packed a lot of stuff for quite sometime and we have been packing in a carry on for about 10 years.  About to do 21 days in Europe with our Ebags Mother Lode backpacks.  We switched over to iPhones when we couldn't replace our Google Pixl phones.  It pretty much does everything we need it to do....I may still take my Kindle Paperwhite for the plane.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I have learned that asking my dw to bring less shoes is not a productive conversation. 

DH has given up asking if he married a centipede. Needless to say I've not cut down on shoes.

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, TeeRick said:

No tuxedo, ties, or sport coats.  No men's dress shoes.  Just smart casual.

No full lap top- but I do bring a tablet/iPad.

I do bring books - I do not like e-books.  But DW only reads e-books.

No walkie-talkies.

No Walkman or portable music players (cassettes, CD players), other than my smart phone.

No traveler's checks (remember American Express?).  No large wads of cash but instead some smaller amounts if needed.  I just rely on ATM's and pre-paid debit/visa cards.  Even in foreign ports so no foreign currency in advance - with some exceptions depending on the travel situations.

No paperback dictionaries for language translations.  Again just the smart phone and aps.

Likewise no paper maps.

It just blows my mind how much of this stuff can be replaced by a good cell phone. 😵 What an age to live in.

I much prefer a 'real' book, and usually still bring one or two, but my iPad is the back up. Being able to borrow up to 10 books from our local library on it - oh man, I love having the options of what to read.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, mfs2k said:

You fill your cellphone with vodka?  Love it. 

I've got a pair of hollowed out binoculars that held Bourbon on one side and Gin on the other in a box around here somewhere.  It always made it through security.

• Haha 2

@TeeRick

(all with info are welcome to comment, too)

Going off topic, but was wondering if you could chime in the thread below?

Given the sailings on Celebrity, I've just turned Diamond on Royal as a result.  Also, found a good price on an Alaska cruise in May, due mainly because it originates in Vancouver and ends in Seattle.  Looking at a Balcony cabin (non-connecting) for around $1,500 all in.

Since you're Dimond Plus, would like to hear your take on my plans, so far....particularly cost of drinks, internet, and specialty dinners.  Been awhile that all those "perks" were not included in my Celebrity cruises.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

@TeeRick

(all with info are welcome to comment, too)

Going off topic, but was wondering if you could chime in the thread below?

Given the sailings on Celebrity, I've just turned Diamond on Royal as a result.  Also, found a good price on an Alaska cruise in May, due mainly because it originates in Vancouver and ends in Seattle.  Looking at a Balcony cabin (non-connecting) for around $1,500 all in.

Since you're Dimond Plus, would like to hear your take on my plans, so far....particularly cost of drinks, internet, and specialty dinners.  Been awhile that all those "perks" were not included in my Celebrity cruises.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

I will go to that thread and try to add a few comments there.  OK?

• Like 1

no Fodors et al  or other real books, et al-

can have them on Ipad or IPhone with entire music library  and if thats not good enough, if wifi is good have Sirius XM and Spotify on Iphone and Ipad.

Also have 2 small Bose bluetooth speakers that we do listen to music in Cabin, and also we download Mp3 files about city walks and strap on the speakers  to shouder bags or back pack when walking around a city. We can hear the "tour" and hear whats going on around us for safety by not using earphones.

That and an App   GPS My City   gives us highlights of many cities  and customized walks , as well as a GPS Map for when you get lost or deviate from a given tour. 

Anybody using a similar good app for that??

That eliminates so much of the  paper notes  we used to bring, and throw away. Or we make those notes and PDF them to ipad or Iphone.

Also "traded" my heavy dress shoes for lighter weight and more comfortable mens casual shoes.

Now that X has an App, we do not need to bring the notes for the daily schedule.

Now the one thing you cannot leave at home is the charging station with sufficient ports for phones and ipads and bluetooth speaker and a few other thing I cannot recall right now.

One thing I am looking at is a wifi extender or amplifier.

amazon 

1 minute ago, HMR74 said:

Now that X has an App, we do not need to bring the notes for the daily schedule.

Now the one thing you cannot leave at home is the charging station with sufficient ports for phones and ipads and bluetooth speaker and a few other thing I cannot recall right now.

One thing I am looking at is a wifi extender or amplifier.

Amazon has them but I'm not sure whether they'll work with the ship's WIFI.

8 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

amazon 

Amazon has them but I'm not sure whether they'll work with the ship's WIFI.

Some  do, but I have been looking at another one thats a little bigger and stronger from a company that sells CB radios  and other things like that. They have a couple for just under $100  that they say will do a good job on a cruise ship provided the signal is strong enough. The 200 one is what they recommend. I have to think about it

Here is their email to me from Yesterday

Thank you for contacting our company. In response to your inquiry, I understand that you are needing a WiFi Receiver system that is compact to use when on a cruise ship. Our CC Vector Home WiFi Receiver System is the most compact system we offer. The Super USB WiFi 3 Antenna that is included can be suction cupped to a Window to receive a distant WiFi signal and then repeat a new WiFi signal to all of your devices inside the cabin. Signal strength and throughput will vary depending on line of sight and obstructions between the antenna and the cruise ships WiFi repeaters. 

https://ccrane.com/cc-vector-home-long-range-wifi-extender-receiver-system-2-4-ghz/

Edited by HMR74

7 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

@HMR74Good luck. Hope it works for you

Thanks, not that I want to carry more, but I have had disappointing results on wifi signal on Balcony. If this would  work, I'd be a happy camper sitting out there in the AM or at night catching up on things.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, TeeRick said:

No tuxedo, ties, or sport coats.  No men's dress shoes.  Just smart casual.

No full lap top- but I do bring a tablet/iPad.

I do bring books - I do not like e-books.  But DW only reads e-books.

No walkie-talkies.

No Walkman or portable music players (cassettes, CD players), other than my smart phone.

No traveler's checks (remember American Express?).  No large wads of cash but instead some smaller amounts if needed.  I just rely on ATM's and pre-paid debit/visa cards.  Even in foreign ports so no foreign currency in advance - with some exceptions depending on the travel situations.

No paperback dictionaries for language translations.  Again just the smart phone and aps.

Likewise no paper maps.

Can you still even get traveler's checks?