Testing still required for Canadian cruises

Homosassa

Like many of us, I was excited to hear that Canada had dropped testing requirements for vaccinated people entering the country.  That left only the hurdle  of Celebrity's requirement for testing. According to Celebrity, a rapid antigen test could be taken two days or less from boarding the ship.

However, I did not realize that Canada still has in place testing requirements for passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada or arriving by cruise ship. Either a molecular test must be taken within 72 hours of boarding the ship or a Rapid Antigen Test within one day of boarding.

This causes a problem for me, and probably others, as I have a cruise that departs on Friday. I planned to do a Rapid Antigen Test on Wednesday, fly on Thursday, and board on Friday. I will now have to do a molecular test sometime after noon on Tuesday.

In case anyone else needs to change testing plans for a cruise leaving from a Canadian port, here is the Canadian website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel

Edited by Homosassa

If you are flying into Vancouver (YVR); an option would be to do your test upon arrival (Thursday) at the airport.  This would meet your one-day requirement for boarding on Friday.  CVM Medical at YVR performs rapid-antigen tests for $79 CDN (or ~ $50 USD) and you have the results within 15-20 minutes; then proceed to your hotel.

https://covid-medical.ca/rapid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_tWRBhAwEiwALxFPoaBajyf_Eju0oTOUF0Oecg-7vFiubPwlXSblU_2vBBdOX1erWy0qeRoCJakQAvD_BwE

OR do a self-proctored test at the hotel on Thursday ....

OR do the PCR test as you mentioned above.

There are options to ensure compliance to the Transport Canada Cruise Ship requirement.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Like many of us, I was excited to hear that Canada had dropped testing requirements for vaccinated people entering the country.  That left only the hurdle  of Celebrity's requirement for testing. According to Celebrity, a rapid antigen test could be taken two days or less from boarding the ship.

However, I did not realize that Canada still has in place testing requirements for passengers boarding a cruise ship in Canada or arriving by cruise ship. Either a PCR test must be taken within 72 hours of boarding the ship or a Rapid Antigen Test within one day of boarding.

This causes a problem for me, and probably others, as I have a cruise that departs on Friday. I planned to do a Rapid Antigen Test on Wednesday, fly on Thursday, and board on Friday. I will now have to do a PCR test sometime after noon on Tuesday.

In case anyone else needs to change testing plans for a cruise leaving from a Canadian port, here is the Canadian website:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel

News release

March 17, 2022 | Ottawa, ON | Public Health Agency of Canada

Today, the Government of Canada announced that effective April 1, 2022 at 12:01 AM EDT, fully vaccinated travellers will no longer need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land or water. Fully vaccinated travellers seeking to arrive in Canada before April 1, 2022, must still have a valid pre-entry test.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-will-remove-pre-entry-test-requirement-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers-on-april-1.html

2 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

News release

March 17, 2022 | Ottawa, ON | Public Health Agency of Canada

Today, the Government of Canada announced that effective April 1, 2022 at 12:01 AM EDT, fully vaccinated travellers will no longer need to provide a pre-entry COVID-19 test result to enter Canada by air, land or water. Fully vaccinated travellers seeking to arrive in Canada before April 1, 2022, must still have a valid pre-entry test.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/03/government-of-canada-will-remove-pre-entry-test-requirement-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers-on-april-1.html

True, effective April 1st you can enter Canada without a test (elimination of pre-entry requirement);
but you still need a test to embark the ship.  I believe that is what the OP is referring to.

Edited by hvbaskey

2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

True, effective April 1st you can fly into Canada without a test;
but you still need a test to embark the ship.  I believe that is what the OP is referring to.

Yes, See Celebrity's website.

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Yes, I am referring to boarding the ship.

I posted the Canadian rules as I was going to follow Celebrity's rules for Rapid Antigen Testing (two days before boarding, boarding on Friday, test on Tuesday) and didn't realize the Canadian rule was 1 day before boarding.

That could have caused my Wednesday test to not be acceptable for boarding the ship.

Thank you for posting the Vancouver information. That is the airport I will be using.  

Just now, bigbenboys said:

All vaccinated guests must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing. 

and Canada’s Cruise ship guidance for boarding, trims it down to one day for Antigen or 72 hours for PCR ...  this guidance is still in effect and is not impacted by the April 1st pre-entry requirements (two separate notices from the Government) - below is the link specific to cruises.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

3 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

That is the problem that I am trying to prevent for others.

Celebrity says two days, but the Canadian rule says one day for the antigen test.  If one is boarding from a Canadian port, that the Canadian time frame (one day, not two) applies.

Just now, Homosassa said:

Yes, I am referring to boarding the ship.

I posted the Canadian rules as I was going to follow Celebrity's rules for Rapid Antigen Testing (two days before boarding, boarding on Friday, test on Tuesday) and didn't realize the Canadian rule was 1 day before boarding.

That could have caused my Wednesday test to not be acceptable for boarding the ship.

Thank you for posting the Vancouver information. That is the airport I will be using.  

Most welcome, we are in the same situation.  I am arriving in Vancouver 2 nights pre-cruise; we had our antigen tests booked upon arrival (get off plane, get tested, go to hotel); since the new guidance from Canada (re:  cruise guidance) came out, I had to reschedule our tests for the next day.  So?  we are taking the Sky Train back to the airport to have our tests done; they are the best price in town that I could find.

Somewhere else I posted a laundry list of testing sites that our hotel provided; you can always check with your hotel, if there is a closer location.   I just thought YVR was convenient and you can book your appointments on line.

2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Most welcome, we are in the same situation.  I am arriving in Vancouver 2 nights pre-cruise; we had our antigen tests booked upon arrival (get off plane, get tested, go to hotel); since the new guidance from Canada (re:  cruise guidance) came out, I had to reschedule our tests for the next day.  So?  we are taking the Sky Train back to the airport to have our tests done; they are the best price in town that I could find.

Somewhere else I posted a laundry list of testing sites that our hotel provided; you can always check with your hotel, if there is a closer location.   I just thought YVR was convenient and you can book your appointments on line.

and to note, self-proctored tests are still an option - just have to make sure it is one that the cruise line accepts.

3 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

What Celebrity sailing is leaving from a Canadian port before April 1st?

None - but the April 1st rule does NOT apply to *embarkation* - two separate rules.

1.  Pre-entry into Canada (includes disembarkation by a cruise ship)
2.  EMBARKATION on a cruise ship, for this see this guidance:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.
  • Thanks 1

I see what your saying now. It just seems strange to me. If my cruise leaves from Seward to Vancouver BC. I can get tested 2 days before embarkation in Seward. Starting April 1st when I disembark in Vancouver BC I will not have to do any testing. Starting April 1st flying into Canada I will not have to get a test before entering Canada. But one day before embarkation to leave Canada on a cruise ship I must get tested.

Might it have something to do with going through US customs at Canadian Place in Vancouver before boarding the cruise ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Might it have something to do with going through US customs at Canadian Place in Vancouver before boarding the cruise ship.

It doesn't only apply to Vancouver. It would also apply to any cruises that leave from Quebec to cruise  the eastern ports of Canada.

Moderator:

I realize that this thread is about Covid testing and could have been placed in the pinned Covid testing thread.

However,  I was confused about testing for a cruise leaving or arriving in a Canadian port and, in particular the facts the recent decision by the Canadian government to no longer require testing to enter Canada does not apply to cruises departing from a Canadian port.  It is also a problem that the Canadian time requirements testing before embarking a ship at a Canadian port are more restrictive than the Celebrity requirement.

Others might also miss the requirement.

Maybe this should be pinned for cruisers on cruises from Canadian ports. 

• Like 1

@HomosassaThanks for starting the thread, it seems that many people believe that X sets their own testing rules for departures out of Canada. 

I imagine (hope) as we get closer to the 30 day mark for sailings from Canada that X will update their page and include Canadian departures. I also hope they don’t send us any more mass emails with US testing requirements 😣 

We are cruising from Vancouver on April 23,  arriving at YVR on the 22nd. Our plan to do a rapid molecular test on the 21st as I don't want to risk the possibility of a positive test the day before in Canada.  🤞🏼 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

For cruises for which embarkation takes place in Canada, GOC regulations take precedence over cruiseline protocols.

2 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I see what your saying now. It just seems strange to me. If my cruise leaves from Seward to Vancouver BC. I can get tested 2 days before embarkation in Seward. Starting April 1st when I disembark in Vancouver BC I will not have to do any testing. Starting April 1st flying into Canada I will not have to get a test before entering Canada. But one day before embarkation to leave Canada on a cruise ship I must get tested.

The requirement has nothing to do with departing Canada and everything to do with embarking on a cruise. While the time frame for testing is shorter than in the US, the rationale for the testing is the same.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

We are cruising from Vancouver on April 23,  arriving at YVR on the 22nd. Our plan to do a rapid molecular test on the 21st as I don't want to risk the possibility of a positive test the day before in Canada.  🤞🏼 

SAVVY!!!!! 🌟

2 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

and to note, self-proctored tests are still an option - just have to make sure it is one that the cruise line accepts.

Celebrity requires telehealth home tests to have EUA from the FDA. Unless they change the requirements for cruises embarking in Canada, officially a Canadian citizen embarking on a cruise in Canada can not use a Switch Health or similar test approved by Health Canada but not the FDA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

@HomosassaThanks for starting the thread, it seems that many people believe that X sets their own testing rules for departures out of Canada. 

I imagine (hope) as we get closer to the 30 day mark for sailings from Canada that X will update their page and include Canadian departures. I also hope they don’t send us any more mass emails with US testing requirements 😣 

We are embarking on the 6/24th from Vancouver; flying into Vancouver on the 6/23. I plan to have a rapid NAAT test on 6/22 (accepted molecular test as per one one of the links I posted).

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

We are embarking on the 6/24th from Vancouver; flying into Vancouver on the 6/23. I plan to have a rapid NAAT test on 6/22 (accepted molecular test as per one one of the links I posted).

If I am understanding correctly, Homosassa... the same should work for us on the 4/23 sailing from Vancouver. We are in the US and plan on doing the rapid NAAT on 4/21, flying from the US to YVR on 4/22 and boarding the Eclipse on 4/23. Do I have that right?

If I am grasping this testing situation correctly, we will have to complete the ArriveCan information prior to flight, complete the Celebrity online check in before leaving home and travel with passport, vax card and negative test results in order to board the ship. 

Is anyone else stressed about all of this? I long for the old days of booking a cruise and only thinking about what to pack and planning what to do on the trip. thank you 

I could just feel it in my bones two months ago that Canada was going to continue to be difficult.

that is why I changed my plans to sail out of Seattle.  I would love to know how many others are switching plans.   I mean this darn testing those vaxxed and boosted has got to stop one day because it is not only stressful, but now we have to follow 2 rules, port and ship.

That is why I also canceled all European cruises and all of my 9 cruises will go from USA ports.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, floralscent said:

If I am understanding correctly, Homosassa... the same should work for us on the 4/23 sailing from Vancouver. We are in the US and plan on doing the rapid NAAT on 4/21, flying from the US to YVR on 4/22 and boarding the Eclipse on 4/23. Do I have that right?

If I am grasping this testing situation correctly, we will have to complete the ArriveCan information prior to flight, complete the Celebrity online check in before leaving home and travel with passport, vax card and negative test results in order to board the ship. 

That is the way I read it.

Before someone on Cruise Critic (don't remember who) pointed out to me that Canada still had testing requirements for boarding a ship, I had planned to do a Rapid Antigen Test the day before flying (within two days of boarding ship).  

My plan has now changed to the NAAT rapid test because it is a molecular test and falls within the 72 hour Canadian restriction.

Yes, testing is the most stressful part of cruising for us as it is difficult to find test sites and appointments here in Florida. For our February cruise, the closest test site for us was sixty miles away from our home.

16 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I could just feel it in my bones two months ago that Canada was going to continue to be difficult.

that is why I changed my plans to sail out of Seattle.  I would love to know how many others are switching plans.   I mean this darn testing those vaxxed and boosted has got to stop one day because it is not only stressful, but now we have to follow 2 rules, port and ship.

That is why I also canceled all European cruises and all of my 9 cruises will go from USA ports.

Yes, we feel the same way about your ongoing requirement to be tested to fly into the US, a requirement Canada has dropped effective April 1st. BTW, the timeframe for taking that test to fly into the US is exactly the same as the timeframe for the test to embark a cruise in Canada. We've been able to work with that, so I'm sure you could too if you tried.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1