Formal nights

bayonejoe

TS:  

Sometimes it pays to read the small print.  Cruise segments, repeat segments, of 16 or more days' duration usually have two Formal Optional nights.  These are identified in the "Guest Statement" summary on a page titled:  "Cruise Itinerary".

These nights are, with rare exceptions, on the second night (night of Captain's Reception); and on the penultimate night. 

Guests often book back-to-back segments.  One segment could be 10 nights; the other 7 nights.  Total of 17.  BUT,  NO formal optional nights--on either segment--because no single segment reaches the 16-night's threshold.   

As always--the bottom line is to check DIRECTLY with Regent; or via a trusted Travel Agent having experience booking Regent cruises.  Provide your Booking Number.  Regent will confirm whether or not Formal Optional applies to your specific booking. 

GOARMY!

I think we may be in a gray area regarding the formal nights. We are booked as a B2B totaling 17 nights, so technically no formal optional nights. However, those same 17 nights were available as one cruise, so there would be 2 formal nights. Hmmm. Maybe we will eat at the pool grill those nights…

59 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I think we may be in a gray area regarding the formal nights. We are booked as a B2B totaling 17 nights, so technically no formal optional nights. However, those same 17 nights were available as one cruise, so there would be 2 formal nights. Hmmm. Maybe we will eat at the pool grill those nights…

Dress on Regent is easy! If you want to wear t-shirts and shorts or jeans to dinner eat at the pool grill. If you want to wear a shirt and dockers or a cotton skirt or pants and top or sun dress you can eat at one of restaurants ever night even formal optional nights. You will fit right in. No one will bat an eye. Very few dress up on Regent especially on 7 and 10  day cruises even if they do have a dressy optional night. If you like to dress up, cocktail type, go ahead and do it any night. That is thing most people love about Regent….it isn’t stuffy.😀

• Like 3

On 3/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, GOARMY said:

TS:  

Sometimes it pays to read the small print.  Cruise segments, repeat segments, of 16 or more days' duration usually have two Formal Optional nights.  These are identified in the "Guest Statement" summary on a page titled:  "Cruise Itinerary".

These nights are, with rare exceptions, on the second night (night of Captain's Reception); and on the penultimate night. 

Guests often book back-to-back segments.  One segment could be 10 nights; the other 7 nights.  Total of 17.  BUT,  NO formal optional nights--on either segment--because no single segment reaches the 16-night's threshold.   

As always--the bottom line is to check DIRECTLY with Regent; or via a trusted Travel Agent having experience booking Regent cruises.  Provide your Booking Number.  Regent will confirm whether or not Formal Optional applies to your specific booking. 

GOARMY!

GOARMY!

Sounds like you are a seasoned traveler on Regent, I wonder if you can answer a couple of questions for me-- what is the Penultimate Night? Also, I always hate to miss the Miso Sea Bass and Lobster Thermador nights in Compass Rose, I know the sea bass is Captain's Welcome but can never guess when it will be the second time.  Any ideas for me?  I know I can special order but it's nice to have it on their schedule.  Thanks in advance.

shemansl:

Here is the "bottom line":  Ask, and you shall receive.  You can have Miso-glazed Sea Bass, or Cod every night, should you desire.  Same goes for a particular type of steak; or a vegetarian option.  Just provide 24-hours' heads-up. 

Your palate's "schedule"--if reasonable and requested in a reasonable manner--will be folded into Regent's schedule.  Response, in our experience(s) going back to Radison days, has been:  "Yes, of course."  And, accompanied with a smile, at no additional expense.  

Want a "specialty" dinner, such as Indian?  Let them know 48-hours ahead of time.  They will go over the proposed menu with you.  

Compass Rose offers many, many options.  Mix and match.  At least one main course dish from each of the specialty restaurants (Prime 7, Pacific Rim, Chartreuse) is always on the Menu.  This also applies to Navigator; which is interesting because it has only Prime 7.  Sette' Mari (approximately 1/2 of La Veranda reset for dinner on all ships) has its separate, rather-set Italian menu. 

GOARMY!

On 3/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, GOARMY said:

Should this be on the initial "Guest Statement," or perhaps only after final payment? 

I have 3 bookings, and none of them say anything about formal nights on that page.  One of them is a 67 night circle South America that includes four segments of 16, 21, 12, and 18 nights.  I can't imagine that there will not be any Formal Optional nights on this cruise.

The other 2 bookings are B2Bs with 12 +12 nights and 10 + 14 nights.  I am less certain that these will include any Formal Optional nights, but it would be nice to have this information (including which nights) before it opens up to make the restaurant reservations.

Suzieqft:  

Thanks for providing this "small print" aspect.  And, we do take into account Formal Optional (FO) nights--if applicable--when scheduling dining at specialty restaurant(s).  

You are correct.  Just-reviewed Regent documents for two upcoming (but either several months, or 1 1/2 years in the future) cruises.  Both exceed 16 days.  Neither have designations as to FO nights.  

But, based on past histories going back, oh, about 20+years with Radison/Regent, these will show up incident to receipt of, as Brownie54 noted, those final documents. We receive such through our time-tested Travel Agent, who stays current on all-matters Regent.  

This gap between initial--and final--booking documents as to specific denotation of FO nights may be more of a distinction rather than a real difference.  I cannot remember a past specific instance when such FO nights were not assigned to the second (CPT's Reception); and second to end (otherwise referred to as penultimate) night which also serves as CPT's Farewell.  

What is past--is prologue.  

So, again, default to directly contacting Regent--directly.  See my Post #11. 

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:19 PM, asnaleah said:

To answer your question, it isn't how long YOUR cruise is, it's how long EACH SEGMENT of your cruise is.  We booked 44 nights as a single cruise booking.  BUT, it was 3 segments, 15 nights, 15 nights, 14 nights, so no Formal Optional nights.  So you will not have one. Of course people will still dress up for Captain's Reception and you are alway welcome to dress up any night you want.  

Hope this answers your question. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who tried to help. I’m still confused because a person could sail from Barcelona to London (17 nights) or all the way to Dublin (23 nights I think) as one segment. We have it booked as two segments, 10 and 7 nights. The 17 and 23 nighters in one segment should have formal nights. I will ask my TA to find out. Or, I will bring a nicer dress and wear it. Not going to worry about it anymore!

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Thanks to all who tried to help. I’m still confused because a person could sail from Barcelona to London (17 nights) or all the way to Dublin (23 nights I think) as one segment. We have it booked as two segments, 10 and 7 nights. The 17 and 23 nighters in one segment should have formal nights. I will ask my TA to find out. Or, I will bring a nicer dress and wear it. Not going to worry about it anymore!

@asnaleah Don't forget that the key word is "Optional" - Regent never mandates formal attire; even on Formal Optional nights you can still wear your 'normal' country club casual if you so desire.  Or worst case - pick that night to dine in your room or at the Pool Bar.

Absolutely nothing to sweat over - you can dress up if you want - or not!

3 hours ago, asnaleah said:

They would have to treat the people who only booked one of the shorter segments the same as those who booked the B2B, even if said B2B was marketed as one "segment."   It would be impossible to have a Formal Optional night for those on the B2B without also violating their policy of NOT having one for the shorter segments.  How is that confusing?  🙃

Of course you can always dress formally if you wish on any night, as several others have pointed out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

I’m still confused because a person could sail from Barcelona to London (17 nights) or all the way to Dublin (23 nights I think)

On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings

In your example the 17 night cruise comprises two sailings; one of 10 nights & one of 7 nights. The 23 night cruise comprises three sailings; 10+7+7.

No sailing is more than 16 nights, so no Formal Optional nights ……………. but don’t let that stop you dressing up any night you please  🥳

• Like 2