What is MSC required "travel insurance"?

mmt44

have taken many cruises and never bought the travel agent pushed "travel insurance", so no experience.

This covid 19 required insurance seems to be regular health insurance for US based persons?  Does MSC accept health insurance cards as "proof" of insurance?  This is for a med cruise in April.

Is the insurance part of the documentation upload web checkin?  When is it examined?

I don't want or need "insurance" for any travel costs lost for any reason.  I want to board the ship.  

Please give me real experience when you haven't bought "travel insurance" pushed by US travel agents.  

I am way past the "purchase by final payment"  buying the MSC insurance, which the travel agent didn't even mention when I booked the cruise using FCC from 2020. The travel agent doesn't know about and doesn't want to deal with this unusual MSC requirement.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures

At the bottom they have a good detailed "Travel Insurance Requirements" FAQ

For U.S. and Puerto Rico residents departing on cruises from a U.S. port:

• Until April 22, 2022, all guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of embarkation. 
  • Beginning April 23, 2022, all guests 5 years and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of embarkation. 
  • MSC encourages but does not require fully vaccinated guests based on the dates above, to purchase travel insurance either through MSC Cruises or another provider. If you choose to purchase travel insurance through MSC Cruises, the purchase must be made prior to final payment.

For ALL guests departing on cruises from outside a U.S. port:

• Purchase of travel insurance with coverage for COVID-19 is required through the country of residence of each guest.
  • If purchased through MSC Cruises, it must be purchased prior to making the final payment on your booking
  • You must either purchase travel insurance through MSC Cruises or present documentation at the pier with sufficient coverage purchased from another provider or you will be denied boarding.
  • Guests that purchase insurance other than the one offered by MSC Cruises must provide proof of their valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, both with no COVID-19 exclusions.  The insurance policy must name the guest as the policyholder or beneficiary.  Guests must bring a printed version of the insurance policy, showing the name of each of the covered guest(s) and a description of the coverage in the policy. This documentation will be reviewed by our staff at the terminal prior to boarding.  Without it, guests will be denied boarding.

• 11 months later...

Hi, regarding your personal heath insurance - most US based health insurance policies do not cover you once you leave the US.  Therefore, if you are in Mexico (for example) and need medical care, most likely your US based plan will not cover the costs.  It's important to know what your health insurance covers so it's best to call and ask.  A friend of mine's dad passed away on an Amazon cruise in Dec 2022. He didn't want the travel insurance but his travel agent urged him to contact his health insurance company.  He did and his health insurance company wouldn't cover him outside of the US so he bought the insurance.  Good thing he did because, before he passed away, he had to see medical assistance on the ship ($1000s) and then he got taken to a Brazilian hospital ($1000s) and then when he passed away, his body had to be transported back home ($25,000+).  Had he not taken the insurance plan advised by his travel agent, his family would have had to pay all of that.  I don't go anywhere out of the US without travel insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SandiR28 said:

Hi, regarding your personal heath insurance - most US based health insurance policies do not cover you once you leave the US.  Therefore, if you are in Mexico (for example) and need medical care, most likely your US based plan will not cover the costs.  It's important to know what your health insurance covers so it's best to call and ask.  A friend of mine's dad passed away on an Amazon cruise in Dec 2022. He didn't want the travel insurance but his travel agent urged him to contact his health insurance company.  He did and his health insurance company wouldn't cover him outside of the US so he bought the insurance.  Good thing he did because, before he passed away, he had to see medical assistance on the ship ($1000s) and then he got taken to a Brazilian hospital ($1000s) and then when he passed away, his body had to be transported back home ($25,000+).  Had he not taken the insurance plan advised by his travel agent, his family would have had to pay all of that.  I don't go anywhere out of the US without travel insurance.

Welcome to CC and a 11 month old thread where things have changed what the lines require.