5 days till sailing no exemption letter for my 10 year old granddaughter yet

jenny368

My daughter and two granddaughters (10 and 3) are sharing the same cabin.  My daughter is vax'd.  Two gd's are unvax'd.  We got an automatic exemption letter for the 3 year old.  It's 5 days till we sail and no letter yet for the 10 year old.  My daughter has called Carnival many times and waited on hold for hours at a time.  No one can tell her anything.  Anyone have any ideas?  Before anyone asks, the reason the 10 year old is unvax'd is bc her dad was deadset against it (divorce situation).

Edited by jenny368

I have searched and searched and it's not clear cut but there was an article stating they were limiting the exemptions (kids included) as they had more requests than space.  Once vaccines became available to 5 and up they cut back....probably why the little one was automatically approved...all you can do is wait on terminal hold till you can reach someone..try 800-764-7419 if you haven't already.  Also email them, surprisingly sometimes it's the quickest response....good luck!!!

• Like 1

From everything I've read, the few exemptions given at this point are strictly for those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. It's unfortunate, and I totally get your situation -- been there with an idiot ex myself who I'm sure would have put us in this same spot if all this had happened when my son was younger. Best of luck to you all! Hopefully it doesn't work out this time, it will once things are better and then she'll be able to go to the kids' club and fun stuff like that which she wouldn't be able to do now anyway. 

• Like 1

Carnival has said they don't grant exemptions at the dock. I would keep trying to get it sorted out.

The 3 year old is automatically exempt because:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Children under five are not required to apply for a vaccine exemption effective with sailings as of March 1. However, they must still follow all other requirements for unvaccinated guests.

• Like 1

I agree with others who say  to keep trying to get this sorted out.  However, Carnival has said they receive far more requests for exemptions than they are able to approve, and this is spring break season so lots of kids are sailing.  I sincerely hope your GD gets the approval, but you have to prepare yourself for her not being able to go this time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival has said they don't grant exemptions at the dock. I would keep trying to get it sorted out.

This is true - I witnessed it recently on the Radiance (I felt so bad for the family involved).  They were on a back-to-back and had an exemption for the first leg but not the second.  We were in port for debarkation, and they were at guest services trying to get it straightened out so they could remain on the second leg of the trip.  Guest services was very apologetic to their situation but told them there is absolutely nothing that can be done at the port (or even on the ship in their case).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I agree with others who say  to keep trying to get this sorted out.  However, Carnival has said they receive far more requests for exemptions than they are able to approve, and this is spring break season so lots of kids are sailing.  I sincerely hope your GD gets the approval, but you have to prepare yourself for her not being able to go this time.

This! Carnival has said that they would be limiting these exemptions (mostly for medical reasons). They need to stay above the vaccinated counts for the CDC vaccine status tiers for the ships. I think preparing for the worse case scenario is a good idea at this point. Maybe her father can do something different with her if she can't go? It does raise the question of refund, FCC and cancellation penalties as well, I'm sure they would fully refund the GD who wouldn't be permitted but what about everyone who can technically go? It seems like a mess, hope OP gets in sorted out or has a backup plan for the GD.   

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, csm5986142 said:

This is true - I witnessed it recently on the Radiance (I felt so bad for the family involved).  They were on a back-to-back and had an exemption for the first leg but not the second.  We were in port for debarkation, and they were at guest services trying to get it straightened out so they could remain on the second leg of the trip.  Guest services was very apologetic to their situation but told them there is absolutely nothing that can be done at the port (or even on the ship in their case).

Wow!  That should have been flagged earlier?  

On 3/22/2022 at 11:21 AM, jenny368 said:

My daughter and two granddaughters (10 and 3) are sharing the same cabin.  My daughter is vax'd.  Two gd's are unvax'd.  We got an automatic exemption letter for the 3 year old.  It's 5 days till we sail and no letter yet for the 10 year old.  My daughter has called Carnival many times and waited on hold for hours at a time.  No one can tell her anything.  Anyone have any ideas?  Before anyone asks, the reason the 10 year old is unvax'd is bc her dad was deadset against it (divorce situation).

I'm looking at cruising with son and DIL and they aren't vax'd. Do I request the exemption form from Canival?

29 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

I'm looking at cruising with son and DIL and they aren't vax'd. Do I request the exemption form from Canival?

You can make the request, but Carnival has said that exemptions for adults are rare and only for people who are medically unable to have the vaccine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

Unless they have proof they are medically unable to take it, they won’t get an exemption. If they have a legitimate medical reason you have to be paid in full, then make the request. I would do so as soon as possible as they do fill up.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

You need to read the "Have Fun. Be Safe Covid 19 Protocols at the top of the Carnival Cruise Line page it explains everything

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 11:21 AM, jenny368 said:

Personally, I never would have asked why your granddaughter isn't vaccinated. With this fairly new vaccine, people are a little hesitant, especially with children, since they are the least affected. Hopefully, things will eventually calm down. MAYBE one day things will go back to normal... Maybe?  Anyway, it's a personal choice and I wish everyone luck with whatever they decide!! Happy sailing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, M0mml30f2 said:

Any updates ? Was your grand daughter able to get exempt and board the ship? Hopefully she was able to get onboard and you had a wonderful time.

Their cruise was March 27….so I presume they’ve gone and come home, or not gone at all. Wish OP would come back and let us know what happened.  

• Like 4