New to Celebrity and Summit, some questions

cruisegal415

We have cruised mostly on RC, most recently on NCL, and are going on a charter cruise on Summit next week (March 28).  We haven't cruised since pre-covid and I think I have forgotten some of the things I used to know.  We have a few questions:

1) I couldn't figure out how to do this in advance, but my husband needs distilled water for his cpap, and I just saw that we had to request it 30 days out.  Are we allowed to just bring a jug of it on board?

2) What's the situation with extension (not power) cords and splitters? We had ours confiscated once on the Allure.

3) Do they have Guinness on board?

4) How to communicate on board within members of our group? If we get the wifi package, does texting work? 

5) Are there any forums for the charter cruises? Our group does not seem to have a forum anywhere outside of CC or FB, not on the roll call list.

I may have more questions as I think of them.  TIA.

19 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

We have cruised mostly on RC, most recently on NCL, and are going on a charter cruise on Summit next week (March 28).  We haven't cruised since pre-covid and I think I have forgotten some of the things I used to know.  We have a few questions:

1) I couldn't figure out how to do this in advance, but my husband needs distilled water for his cpap, and I just saw that we had to request it 30 days out.  Are we allowed to just bring a jug of it on board?

2) What's the situation with extension (not power) cords and splitters? We had ours confiscated once on the Allure.

4) How to communicate on board within members of our group? If we get the wifi package, does texting work? 

5) Are there any forums for the charter cruises? Our group does not seem to have a forum anywhere outside of CC or FB, not on the roll call list.

My son used this to order his cpap supplies before the cruise. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Guest-Special-Needs-Form.pdf

Thanks cbdb. 

One other question: Re: wifi: DH and I will both be bringing iPhones and iPads, if we get the wifi package for one for each of us, can we be on both devices (iPhone and iPad) at the same time? If we get the one for 4 devices, we can be on all four at the same time?

42 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

I was on the Summit a few weeks ago for a different charter.  Unfortunately I can only answer your last question:

There's a Theme Cruises board on here where you can ask your questions:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/117-theme-cruises/ .  Roll calls for theme cruises and charters are hit and miss; sometimes they're there, and sometimes they aren't.  There tends to not be a lot of traffic on roll calls when they do exist.  For other discussion forums, all I can say is plug the name of your cruise into your favorite search engine and pick through the results.

1 hour ago, cruisegal415 said:

Thanks cbdb. 

One other question: Re: wifi: DH and I will both be bringing iPhones and iPads, if we get the wifi package for one for each of us, can we be on both devices (iPhone and iPad) at the same time? If we get the one for 4 devices, we can be on all four at the same time?

If you need to have all four devices in use simultaneously, you will need a plan that covers four devices.

If you get a plan that covers only one device,you would have to sign off one and then sign on another one and then sign off again and then sign out again etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If for some reason the distilled water is not in your room just mention it to your steward who will take care of it.   I would not bring an extension cord as they are on the forbidden list,   your steward will take care of everything.   The cord he brings you may have to be taped to the floor depending on the location of outlets so its best to let him do it as they do it all the time.   Last thing you have to worry about. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have booked a cruise less than 30 days out and emailed special_needs@celebrity.com with my name, cabin #, ship name, departure date & confirmation # and a request for distilled water/extension cord and it has always been accommodated.

Happy Sailing!

Here's the form for special needs.  It has the contact information if you would rather just give them a call.  The number is 1 866 592 7225

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.celebritycruises.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fcelebrity%2Fpdf%2FCEL-Special-Needs-Form.pdf&clen=109014&chunk=true

Don't worry about the 30 days, but do contact them as soon as you can to make sure everything is sorted.

10 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Distilled water is available by either arrangement in advance by Special Services or just ask your room attendant.   Also - To customize accommodations to meet your specific needs, please complete the special needs form.For more information, contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com, or have your local travel agent or international representative contact us.

You can also ask for both extension cords and power strips.   Power strips with surge protectors are prohibited and will be held.    You may not need one as the post Revolution ships including Summit have 110 outlets in the lamp base next to the bed as well as 2 USB outlets

I believe so

You can use the App to communicate but it does not have notification of when you get a message.   If you have a internet package texting will work fine.

Charters are not well supported and would suggest asking your charter agent.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Sending iMessages works with Wi-Fi but not regular texts. Many use Facebook messenger or WhatsApp 

According to the Celebrity website, with Basic wifi package it says you can't access social media. I don't know why since it says you can get on the internet, I wonder if it means you can't use the app for Facebook but can get on it with the url? Trying to figure out if we should get the premium package or the basic to keep in touch with our dog sitter and relatives.

We have not traveled on Summit, or Celebrity, but have been on both the larger and smaller RCL ships.  On the Oasis and the Allure, there was plenty of storage and room but on the smaller ships, we brought an over the closet bag to hang our stuff in.  Wonder if we will need it on the Summit?

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can also ask for both extension cords and power strips.   Power strips with surge protectors are prohibited and will be held.    You may not need one as the post Revolution ships including Summit have 110 outlets in the lamp base next to the bed as well as 2 USB outlets

I believe so

Are there lamps next to both sides of the bed? In the photos it looked like it was just on one side.

1 hour ago, cruisegal415 said:

Are there lamps next to both sides of the bed? In the photos it looked like it was just on one side.

There are lamps on both sides, but only one has the power outlet/USB in the base. The other side is a hanging lamp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

According to the Celebrity website, with Basic wifi package it says you can't access social media. I don't know why since it says you can get on the internet, I wonder if it means you can't use the app for Facebook but can get on it with the url? Trying to figure out if we should get the premium package or the basic to keep in touch with our dog sitter and relatives.

Currently onboard with basic internet. You can definitely access Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The internet package included in AI it's for 2 persons and 1 device PP, you need to logoff from your phone to login in your iPad and vice-versa, if you want to use 2 devices at the same time you will need to upgrade

8 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

The internet package included in AI it's for 2 persons and 1 device PP, you need to logoff from your phone to login in your iPad and vice-versa, if you want to use 2 devices at the same time you will need to upgrade

I'm sorry, what is Al?

Just now, gerelmx said:

Always Included, The perks are Gratuities, Classic Beverage Package and Surf (classic) Internet package

Ah, Thank you.  We don't have that deal. I wish! We're on a themed cruise that we booked pre-covid, I think that package is just for regular Celebrity cruises that were booked more recently.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, cruisegal415 said:

Thanks cbdb. 

Celebrity is not stupid. They assume one person can only use one device at a time. Yiu can not have your entire party work off of one plan, but a plan for 4 devices will accommodate 4 users simultaneously.

Edited by Guppy99

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Thanks cbdb. 

Celebrity is not stupid. They assume one person can only use one device at a time. Yiu can not have your entire party work off of one plan, but a plan for 4 devices will accommodate 4 users simultaneously.

I think I didn't ask the question the right way.  I signed up for the basic plan, for couples, 2 devices. I assume that means that we each can be on one device at a time.  But when I signed up, it asked for the name of the person, so I checked both of us, which ended up me buying two, 2 device plans, so we ended up with four devices, which we don't need. We only need 2 devices, one each. So I cancelled one, but now there's one in my name only.  But since it's for 2 devices, my husband can use his at the same time, right?

17 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

I think I didn't ask the question the right way.  I signed up for the basic plan, for couples, 2 devices. I assume that means that we each can be on one device at a time.  But when I signed up, it asked for the name of the person, so I checked both of us, which ended up me buying two, 2 device plans, so we ended up with four devices, which we don't need. We only need 2 devices, one each. So I cancelled one, but now there's one in my name only.  But since it's for 2 devices, my husband can use his at the same time, right?

yes but I believe you may have to use the same logon info to connect.

I was on Millenium 2/21, sister ship to Summit.

1.  As I usually do, I just asked the room steward for a gallon of distilled water.  It was delivered within hours.

2.  I brought standard extension cords...no surge protection.  One was packed in my CPAP carry case and another in luggage.  No problem.  But if you have a power strip, who knows?  

3.  We had a Celebrity Suite.  There were AC outlets on BOTH sides of the bed.  A bit hidden, but room steward will show them.

1 hour ago, barric said:

I was on Millenium 2/21, sister ship to Summit.

1.  As I usually do, I just asked the room steward for a gallon of distilled water.  It was delivered within hours.

2.  I brought standard extension cords...no surge protection.  One was packed in my CPAP carry case and another in luggage.  No problem.  But if you have a power strip, who knows?  

3.  We had a Celebrity Suite.  There were AC outlets on BOTH sides of the bed.  A bit hidden, but room steward will show them.

We are in a concierge class veranda room, hopefully it is the same in there.  We usually bring extension cords, not power strips or surge suppressors, because many times it is not convenient to his using his CPAP machine.