Question regarding dining with others in main dining room

mimbecky

Hi, we typically cruise with another line.  Just booked for next year on Princess.  Typically we choose assigned seating at a 6-8 person table top so we are able to enjoy dining each evening with other couples that we aren't traveling with. I understand that Princess doesn't have assigned dining time/tables in the MDR.  Is it still possible to make reservations each evening with the choice to sit with other people we don't know?  Not sure if this is atypical or quite common.

Thanks,,,

M

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, you can share with others, but you will not have the same table guests each night (which can be a blessing !)

Or you can have the same table mates each evening.  On our last three cruises, after we met some wonderful folks, we requested the same table (helps If you remember the number), the same time and the same people.  By the third night, we didn’t even check in but were ushered directly to our table.

• Like 1

Also, the dining staff are very tactful and helpful.  On a cruise in October 2021, we were seated with three couples in their twenties.  Great group of people but hubby and I felt like parents!  DH and I are both college professors and this group consisted of recent graduates.  Conversation revolved around classes, majors, careers, etc.  We get that at home…..  We spoke to the staff when leaving and requested to be seated with a different group.  

Later during the cruise, I ran across one of the young couples.  They said they missed us at the table but the assistant manager told them that he had to move us because of a scheduling issue.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MsPAtSea said:

Question in regards to this: if we are 2 people and don't want to sit with anyone we don't know, is that an easily available option?

Assuming nothing has changed in the last few months since we sailed on the Sky in November, yes you definitely can ask to be seated at a table for two. We always do this when eating in the MDRs. Keep in mind that most but not all tables for two are placed VERY close to each other and it's often the same as eating at a table for six, as there will usually be people very immediately to your left and right.  Keep in mind also that you have to ask for a table for two, and if they are all busy, you may have to take a pager and wait until a table becomes available.

1 hour ago, MsPAtSea said:

Question in regards to this: if we are 2 people and don't want to sit with anyone we don't know, is that an easily available option?

On the medallion app, when dining opens up, you can select a private table just for the two of you.

That's what my brother & I selected for our upcoming cruise.