Quarantine Zones

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We are really edgy about our cruise in August on Ventura now as we moved from an aft cabin to a corner aft cabin about 6 weeks ago (max). Nothing was said about it being an isolation cabin. We have messaged P&O a number of times about what happens if the cabin is not available for the cruise - i.e. can we have our money back or compensation and the reply is basically that they can't say at this moment in time. We have booked excursions but are now edgy about being on a coaches with others for any length of time and a coach transfer to Southampton. Just seems too risky and not sure it will be a relaxing build up to the cruise or relaxing when on there ... we are due to pay the full balance in about 3 weeks so I can see us cancelling or moving it yet again. 

Our corner aft cabin and the two next to it have been taken off us for next week's cruise. Just got back off her and could see that fire doors were blocking off the Aft section and the lifts programmed to miss the decks concerned. We are not happy with the cabins we have been made to have. They consider it an upgrade as it is midships. We much prefer the lovely Aft cabins on the stern.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Danamis said:

Our corner aft cabin and the two next to it have been taken off us for next week's cruise. Just got back off her and could see that fire doors were blocking off the Aft section and the lifts programmed to miss the decks concerned. We are not happy with the cabins we have been made to have. They consider it an upgrade as it is midships. We much prefer the lovely Aft cabins on the stern.

That's what worries us. We didn't like Ventura the last time we were on her and decided to give her another go with one of the cabins we know we will love (had it on Azura). Very unsettled about the whole thing so pretty sure we will transfer it or just cancel and get our money back for the excursions we have booked.  Sad about it, but that's they way the world is at the moment. (Fly land holidays don't inspire either) .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's what worries us. We didn't like Ventura the last time we were on her and decided to give her another go with one of the cabins we know we will love (had it on Azura). Very unsettled about the whole thing so pretty sure we will transfer it or just cancel and get our money back for the excursions we have booked.  Sad about it, but that's they way the world is at the moment. (Fly land holidays don't inspire either) .

We are in a similar predicament. We have a lot of money invested in future cruises but the way things are going I think we will be changing companies or going for more land based holidays. I hate flying so that is out of the question.

• Thanks 1

Hi. Although not Britannia, just in case anyone is going on Aurora in the near future, the isolation cabins on the 32 night caribbean cruise in Feb / March 2022 were all midships. I would think they will stick to that.

So each ship is different.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:45 PM, Danamis said:

We always say ‘no’ to upgrades for this and several other reasons. P&O’s definition of an ‘upgrade’ is certainly not mine. If the cabins we have booked are still being used for isolation next year then we will cancel before balance due date. If this happens I think that will be it for us with cruising as it’s too much hassle and worry - the exact opposite of what a holiday should be. I’d rather lose the deposits than throw good money after bad. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We always say ‘no’ to upgrades for this and several other reasons. P&O’s definition of an ‘upgrade’ is certainly not mine. If the cabins we have booked are still being used for isolation next year then we will cancel before balance due date. If this happens I think that will be it for us with cruising as it’s too much hassle and worry - the exact opposite of what a holiday should be. I’d rather lose the deposits than throw good money after bad. 

We had all ticked the box for no upgrades. It doesn't make the slightest difference if the require your cabins for 'operational reasons'. i have been relocated opposite a laundrette and apparently that is an upgrade. Emails have gone unanswered. I do not feel that we have had value from Select Fare as ultimately we could not choose our cabins. I agree is is becoming stressful. Our next cruise is on Arcadia in July... Again in Aft cabins.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danamis said:

We had all ticked the box for no upgrades. It doesn't make the slightest difference if the require your cabins for 'operational reasons'. i have been relocated opposite a laundrette and apparently that is an upgrade. Emails have gone unanswered. I do not feel that we have had value from Select Fare as ultimately we could not choose our cabins. I agree is is becoming stressful. Our next cruise is on Arcadia in July... Again in Aft cabins.

I have just called our TA (the one that everyone on here raves about) and they have told me exactly the same. I am not impressed, especially as the lady that I spoke to had zero empathy for our situation and clearly just wanted me off the line as I wasn’t making a new booking. I have made it clear that whilst it may be acceptable to P&O, and by the sound of it the TA, it would not be acceptable to me. Hopefully quarantine zones won’t be required next year (TBH if they are we wouldn’t want to cruise anyway), but if they are still a thing next year then we will cancel even if we have to forfeit the deposits. Although we have a couple of cruises booked for next year, the way things are going we might have already had our last cruise! Having tried desperately to muster up enthusiasm for cruising again, I now fear that I might regret making these bookings. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J110 said:

Hi Gizmo

do you know what deck on Aurora. We are on in 3 weeks - so far no cabin change .🤞.  Mid ship sup.deluxe balcony booked deck 10.

We are on Aurora latter part of May22.  Our mid ship deluxe balcony has been changed.

We were in B220 which near mid stairs but have now been allocated another deluxe (same grade) forward of the mid lifts.

We had received an email from P&O noting that there may be a change of cabin.  We kept checking on our MyP&O Cruises booking under 'Before you Sail' / 'Life on Board' and noted it had been changed. 

We contacted our TA and they hadn't been advised but, soon after they spoke with P&O they received a revised booking confirmation which they forwarded to us.  We never did receive a change notification direct from P&O.

Suggest you double check your cabin number under 'Before you Sail' / 'Life on Board' to ensure you are still in the cabin you booked.  Based upon our experience, would have thought that if it was going to be changed it would have been done by now.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have just called our TA (the one that everyone on here raves about) and they have told me exactly the same. I am not impressed, especially as the lady that I spoke to had zero empathy for our situation and clearly just wanted me off the line as I wasn’t making a new booking. I have made it clear that whilst it may be acceptable to P&O, and by the sound of it the TA, it would not be acceptable to me. Hopefully quarantine zones won’t be required next year (TBH if they are we wouldn’t want to cruise anyway), but if they are still a thing next year then we will cancel even if we have to forfeit the deposits. Although we have a couple of cruises booked for next year, the way things are going we might have already had our last cruise! Having tried desperately to muster up enthusiasm for cruising again, I now fear that I might regret making these bookings. 

It is a gamble. I just hope it pays off for the Summer for us. Sorry your experience wasn't better.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, J110 said:

Hi Gizmo

do you know what deck on Aurora. We are on in 3 weeks - so far no cabin change .🤞.  Mid ship sup.deluxe balcony booked deck 10.

Hi, we were in cabin B140  on deck 10 (De Luxe Balcony). That was port side. Walking back down the corridor to the larger stairwell from our cabin the LAST cabin port side before the Isolation Unit Door was B208.  I did walk forward in the other direction on portside (from the back) for another poster who was in B242. His cabin was also fine (not in affected area). I walked a little further forward past B242 and I could see the block at the end of the corridor, but could not get very close because steward blocked the way. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say that 8 cabins forward from B242 were also clear. 

I cannot really comment on any other decks isolation zones as I did not specifically check any others. BUT, what I can also say is that on R201N, cabin C205 on C Deck (Larger outside starboard)  was also clear and I saw no corridor restrictions that side.  We specifically looked for that cabin as we have booked it for another Aurora cruise. So we wanted to me sure it was not potentially compromised. As we booked that future cruise while on R201N, it was easy to nip upstairs and check the cabin out first.

We always go Select and say we don't want any upgrades. That way we don't get an upgrade that forces us into a potentially compromised cabin position on the ship.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gizmo

Meant to say thank you

We are forward of this port side.

hoping all back to normal by late 2023 as by current info. we have a cabin mid starboard side in quarantine zone for 2023 cruise.

Like you we do select and no upgrade.

I will probably phone and change  when we are back .

just keeping 🤞for negative test on Wed so ok to sail Thurs.

😊

On 4/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, Gizmo19 said:

Hi, we were in cabin B140  on deck 10 (De Luxe Balcony). That was port side. Walking back down the corridor to the larger stairwell from our cabin the LAST cabin port side before the Isolation Unit Door was B208.  I did walk forward in the other direction on portside (from the back) for another poster who was in B242. His cabin was also fine (not in affected area). I walked a little further forward past B242 and I could see the block at the end of the corridor, but could not get very close because steward blocked the way. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say that 8 cabins forward from B242 were also clear. 

I cannot really comment on any other decks isolation zones as I did not specifically check any others. BUT, what I can also say is that on R201N, cabin C205 on C Deck (Larger outside starboard)  was also clear and I saw no corridor restrictions that side.  We specifically looked for that cabin as we have booked it for another Aurora cruise. So we wanted to me sure it was not potentially compromised. As we booked that future cruise while on R201N, it was easy to nip upstairs and check the cabin out first.

We always go Select and say we don't want any upgrades. That way we don't get an upgrade that forces us into a potentially compromised cabin position on the ship.  

If P and O want your cabin for 'Operational reasons' it makes no difference of you have booked Select. You are then left with the cabins they allocate to you...

• Like 2

Hi Danamis

I understand that but if by late 2023 they are still needing cabins for quarantine and we are moved to a cabin we don’t want and it can’t be changed to one we like then we won’t go until the following year 😊

Just my preference when booking.

13 minutes ago, J110 said:

Hi Danamis

I understand that but if by late 2023 they are still needing cabins for quarantine and we are moved to a cabin we don’t want and it can’t be changed to one we like then we won’t go until the following year 😊

Just my preference when booking.

I would fully understand that. I do think at the time of cancelling our cabins we should be given the choice of all available cabins left and not just allocated on as if we had booked 'Guaranteed' cabins. Hopefuly this will not be a problem by 2023...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danamis said:

If P and O want your cabin for 'Operational reasons' it makes no difference of you have booked Select. You are then left with the cabins they allocate to you...

That is true and not quite true. I purchased a select cabin for wife and I and another for our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Our cabin was required for "Operational reasons" but not the other one. Our cabin was allocated to the opposite end of the ship. I pointed out to my TA that we had booked selected and as a result paid extra so that we could select our cabins close to each other. My TA agreed and phoned P&O and after some discussion we could pick from a number of available cabins and as a result ended up with a proper upgrade (as opposed to P&O's idea of an upgrade).

So the moral is if you pay sellect fare and your cabin is moved just kick up a fuss and you will receive a select fares cabin albeit not your first choice.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is true and not quite true. I purchased a select cabin for wife and I and another for our son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Our cabin was required for "Operational reasons" but not the other one. Our cabin was allocated to the opposite end of the ship. I pointed out to my TA that we had booked selected and as a result paid extra so that we could select our cabins close to each other. My TA agreed and phoned P&O and after some discussion we could pick from a number of available cabins and as a result ended up with a proper upgrade (as opposed to P&O's idea of an upgrade).

So the moral is if you pay sellect fare and your cabin is moved just kick up a fuss and you will receive a select fares cabin albeit not your first choice.  

You were lucky then as my emails went unanswered to P and O and phone calls to them by us and our daughter were a waste of time, although our three booked cabins were moved to midships next to each other.  Perhaps if they were going to split up our family they may have treated it differently.

In the end we did enjoy our cruise but it did add stress to our planned holiday.

We have now booked future cruises but have avoided the areas we now know to be quarantined.

16 minutes ago, Danamis said:

You were lucky then as my emails went unanswered to P and O and phone calls to them by us and our daughter were a waste of time, although our three booked cabins were moved to midships next to each other.  Perhaps if they were going to split up our family they may have treated it differently.

In the end we did enjoy our cruise but it did add stress to our planned holiday.

We have now booked future cruises but have avoided the areas we now know to be quarantined.

The advantage of a good TA, the local one I use is very good at that sort of thing.

30 minutes ago, NotDelilah said:

We were allowed to cancel as we had ticked “no upgrade”. Had to give permission for the 25% enhancement to be taken back and then received refund.

26 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Good to hear. We have booked 3 Deluxe Balcony cabins in a row on Iona for next summer. Ours is an accessible one. In their infinite window, all the accessible deluxe balcony cabins are now in the designated quarantine zone, so they could move two of the cabins but not ours. The only upgrade would be the sole accessible suite, which we didn’t want anyway as it is at the aft of the ship above the sunset bar, so would be noisy. We also paid Select to choose cabins in the best position on the ship and so that all cabins could be adjacent. Whilst our daughters and partners would be disappointed, my wife and I are both of the view that if this quarantine zone nonsense persists into next year we would rather cancel than worry about the last minute aggravation. 

6 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The advantage of a good TA, the local one I use is very good at that sort of thing.

Although our next P&O cruise is over a year away, I have already put our TA on notice that we would rather cancel than be messed around and they were quite understanding and said they will do what they can to assist.