Quarantine Zones

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, NotDelilah said:

I rang P&O on receiving details of my new cabin. Told them unacceptable and I wanted a refund. The person checked with supervisor and because I had ticked “no upgrade” I was entitled to a refund. It became a bit more complicated because I had booked using future cruise credit. I gave them written permission to remove the enhancement and then received my refund.

I'm pleased it worked out for you. It's inspired me to start my battle again!

18 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Crikey that's an awful lot of money. What was so bad about the upgrade that you decided to, presumably not go ahead with the cruise?

We'd booked 3 of the large balcony cabins on Azura for family to mingle together as for various health reasons we needed peace and to be away from other people.  Given 3 cabins up high where you can hear music etc, close to launderette and stairs with extra  berths (which are invariably noisy).  Paid £1k extra per person to choose cabins and wasn't willing to make such a large compromise - particularly as they had 3 adjacent large balcony cabins available just down the corridor which were on sale at far less than I had paid but they wanted me to pay over a grand extra for them because they were "too much of an upgrade".  I wasn't impressed!

• Like 3

I notice on other sites people are still reporting being quarantined on board and those on fly cruises being quarantined before they can fly home. 

Are they still compulsory testing onboard then or are people voluntarily going to the medical centre to be tested? I just wondered how they are finding out people onboard had Covid. We have just got off a Princess cruise and so many people on board were coughing and sneezing , we tested positive when we got home. 

48 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I notice on other sites people are still reporting being quarantined on board and those on fly cruises being quarantined before they can fly home. 

Are they still compulsory testing onboard then or are people voluntarily going to the medical centre to be tested? I just wondered how they are finding out people onboard had Covid. We have just got off a Princess cruise and so many people on board were coughing and sneezing , we tested positive when we got home. 

Sorry to hear your cruise ended with a positive test . If I may ask what prompted you both

to do the test once back home ,were you feeling ill ?

I only ask because onboard maybe some of the people may not go to the medical centre if 

they had no symptoms and felt fine yet they had the virus.

Hope you both test negative soon .

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Sorry to hear your cruise ended with a positive test . If I may ask what prompted you both

to do the test once back home ,were you feeling ill ?

I only ask because onboard maybe some of the people may not go to the medical centre if 

they had no symptoms and felt fine yet they had the virus.

Hope you both test negative soon .

We just had a little tickle in our throat the day we disembarked, it was nothing really but because so many were coughing onboard we tested mainly before we went to see the Grandkids. 

So the people being quarantined on the P & O ships are they testing voluntarily onboard then or are they doing compulsory tests?

Edited by amajaa
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

On Azura at the moment and spoke to someone yesterday had just been released from quarantine. 

They had been doing a one week / two week ‘back to back’ and were compulsory tested at the end of week one. To be honest this makes no sense because there were were plenty of other passengers staying on board for the second week of their two week cruise who were not tested - a situation of ‘rules are rules’. 

Anyway they didn’t test positive then but felt unwell a few days later and tested themselves with kits they had brought - one was positive and the other not so they were tested again by the medical centre and one quarantined. Then a few days later the other tested positive so they had to quarantine. 

Discussing it with them we came to the conclusion that the only people likely to be quarantined were those who tested themselves or those who sought assistance from the medical centre.

It seemed rather likely that there would be a significant number with ‘cabin cough’ that were roaming the ship who should be but were not. 

As an aside, although they had been quarantined they had nothing but praise about the way P&O dealt with them. 

Edited by picsa
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, amajaa said:

Enchanted?

Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good.

We deliberately decided to book 7 nighters this year to try and avoid any quarantine situations - hence the 7 nighter just gone on Enchanted and a 7 nighter on Iona later in the year. I’m not sure whether I want the testing requirement dropped on Iona - anything that lessens the possibility of C is surely a good thing. 

• 1 month later...

I felt very unwell one night so rang the medical centre first thing next morning.  They did a test which was positive so I had to isolate with immediate effect. DH was - ve at that point and was given the option to isolate with me or not.  He could have stayed in our original cabin and was free to move around the ship and get off but couldn't go on any trips or use the buffet.  He came with me - and was positive next day anyway. 

I think the isolation cabins are all together and you would be moved.  Our corridor was closed off to stop random people walking through and very prominent 'Isolation Cabin No Entry' signs on all the doors. I don't think you would be allowed to stay in a cabin in an area of unaffected passengers. 

I could have 'got away with it' if I hadn't reported to the medics and I'm certain many did adopt that approach - the Capt made mask wearing around the ship mandatory for the last couple of days and admitted there had been a significant increase in cases. 

But we felt pretty washed out and wouldn't have been happy going around the ship.  We had a balcony to sit out and appreciate the views, we could just flop when we felt the need and very attentive room service with meals delivered to the door - although we hadn't much appetite.  We were looked after very well indeed. The only improvement for us would have been a stable TV signal.  It would have been great to watch the Commonwealth Games for instance.  We didn't even have a decent Sky News signal when berthed in Southampton!  I don't understand that.  

However we were very grateful for how we were looked after and have no complaints and a FCC which we have applied to a new bookng 👍

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I felt very unwell one night so rang the medical centre first thing next morning.  They did a test which was positive so I had to isolate with immediate effect. DH was - ve at that point and was given the option to isolate with me or not.  He could have stayed in our original cabin and was free to move around the ship and get off but couldn't go on any trips or use the buffet.  He came with me - and was positive next day anyway. 

I think the isolation cabins are all together and you would be moved.  Our corridor was closed off to stop random people walking through and very prominent 'Isolation Cabin No Entry' signs on all the doors. I don't think you would be allowed to stay in a cabin in an area of unaffected passengers. 

I could have 'got away with it' if I hadn't reported to the medics and I'm certain many did adopt that approach - the Capt made mask wearing around the ship mandatory for the last couple of days and admitted there had been a significant increase in cases. 

But we felt pretty washed out and wouldn't have been happy going around the ship.  We had a balcony to sit out and appreciate the views, we could just flop when we felt the need and very attentive room service with meals delivered to the door - although we hadn't much appetite.  We were looked after very well indeed. The only improvement for us would have been a stable TV signal.  It would have been great to watch the Commonwealth Games for instance.  We didn't even have a decent Sky News signal when berthed in Southampton!  I don't understand that.  

However we were very grateful for how we were looked after and have no complaints and a FCC which we have applied to a new bookng 👍

Well done on your honesty, suspect you would be in the minority though, and nice to hear you were well looked after, and good you received a fcc

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Mabbiesmum said:

We have booked a balcony cabin on Ventura for a cruise in November. If we test positive will we be moved to an "isolation" cabin or can we stay where we are?

You will stay where you are.

If you are in a non balcony cabin you will be given the choice to move (if there are any isolation cabins left).

Edited by FangedRose

I do wonder about people being quarantined in their cabins.

When putting out dirty plates etc, do the people in quarantine put their masks on? Just wondering, as there's the possibility of  aerosols being exhaled, to hang about in the air in the corridor. Then someone walks by a bit later and breathes it all in..... and there's another infected passenger. 

Also, if someone is in quarantine next door, wondering what it feels like to use your balcony, if you happen to be down wind of someone with a Covid cough on the next door balcony. (I know outside transmission is less likely, but if it's blowing towards you..... )

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When putting out dirty plates etc, do the people in quarantine put their masks on? Just wondering, as there's the possibility of  aerosols being exhaled, to hang about in the air in the corridor. Then someone walks by a bit later and breathes it all in..... and there's another infected passenger. 

Also, if someone is in quarantine next door, wondering what it feels like to use your balcony, if you happen to be down wind of someone with a Covid cough on the next door balcony. (I know outside transmission is less likely, but if it's blowing towards you..... )

It’s always possible but then the same is possible walking along a corridor in a school, office, supermarket isle etc with people who don’t have to isolate now under current guidance, even if they are well aware that they are positive.

Cruise ships are at least trying to reduce risk as as far as possible. It’s not perfect but then nothing is against this virus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In our case no one other than staff who were masked up (housekeeping and medics) came into the corridor of isolation cabins.  The corridor was closed off at both ends so passengers couldn't wander through.  We answered the door wearing masks and also to put trays out.  They transferred us to our isolation cabin with the help of housekeeping followed by a member of staff with a tank on his back and a 'wand' which discharged a fairly dense cloud of antiseptic/antiviral(?) spray.  They were careful to spray the lift after we left too. 

That's what makes me question if you would be allowed to stay in your original cabin if everyone else in the vicinity was Covid free (at least as far as they were aware).  May be different protocols on different ships but on Aurora we were definitely in a dedicated quarantine area.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

In our case no one other than staff who were masked up (housekeeping and medics) came into the corridor of isolation cabins.  The corridor was closed off at both ends so passengers couldn't wander through.  We answered the door wearing masks and also to put trays out.  They transferred us to our isolation cabin with the help of housekeeping followed by a member of staff with a tank on his back and a 'wand' which discharged a fairly dense cloud of antiseptic/antiviral(?) spray.  They were careful to spray the lift after we left too. 

That's what makes me question if you would be allowed to stay in your original cabin if everyone else in the vicinity was Covid free (at least as far as they were aware).  May be different protocols on different ships but on Aurora we were definitely in a dedicated quarantine area.  

There was a dedicated quarantine area on Arcadia. I succumbed the day before mask wearing was encouraged. The first question I was asked by the medical staff was 'are you in a balcony cabin, or would you like to move?' Of course I said I'd stay. Three days later even those in inside cabins had to stay put.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

There was a dedicated quarantine area on Arcadia. I succumbed the day before mask wearing was encouraged. The first question I was asked by the medical staff was 'are you in a balcony cabin, or would you like to move?' Of course I said I'd stay. Three days later even those in inside cabins had to stay put.

Clearly overwhelmed.  They can probably cope better on one week turn-around cruises like Iona as most will be getting off as, or before, they develop symptoms but longer cruises are presenting more cases with possibly insufficient quarantine cabins. I don't envy them the problem. 

• Like 5

On 7/3/2022 at 9:47 AM, amajaa said:

Does anyone know if people who have to quarantine before flying home are staying in quarantine on Azura, or are they being transferred to quarantine hotels ashore? 

Also, if you are on a back to back cruise and test positive during or at the end of the first cruise, can you stay in quarantine on the ship for the second cruise and then just continue your cruise once negative?  We have booked B2B's with one week followed by 16 nights, so would hope to still enjoy a fair amount of the second cruise after testing negative again if we can stay on the ship.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, tring said:

Does anyone know if people who have to quarantine before flying home are staying in quarantine on Azura, or are they being transferred to quarantine hotels ashore? 

Also, if you are on a back to back cruise and test positive during or at the end of the first cruise, can you stay in quarantine on the ship for the second cruise and then just continue your cruise once negative?  We have booked B2B's with one week followed by 16 nights, so would hope to still enjoy a fair amount of the second cruise after testing negative again if we can stay on the ship.

I don't know, when I posted the quoted comment it was 3rd July so 5 weeks ago. Things have changed a lot in the last month or so, who knows. For those on B2Bs it would be interesting for them to know I would think.

5 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I don't know, when I posted the quoted comment it was 3rd July so 5 weeks ago. Things have changed a lot in the last month or so, who knows. For those on B2Bs it would be interesting for them to know I would think.

Yes, realised it was a whole ago (we were away at that time).  I was probably hoping someone msy have up to date knowledge, but would affect so few people anyway.  Will try to find out if I can and report back here.

21 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, realised it was a whole ago (we were away at that time).  I was probably hoping someone msy have up to date knowledge, but would affect so few people anyway.  Will try to find out if I can and report back here.

Seen a report from someone who was transferred to a Maltese quarantine hotel in July, though also sounds like people were only tested if they report ill.  I also found an official site saying all covid restrictions in Malta were removed.in late July.

I do not have any first hand knowledge though and of course all restrictions can be brought back by any country/cruise line.  Will keep our fingers crossed we will be ok on our b2b and keep well away from busy places on and off the ship during the first cruise.  At least we have a deck C balcony, so can hole up there for much of the time, when on the ship.

Edited by tring

Can anyone tell if on Ventura the rear most cabins on d deck are still in the isolation zone? 

I booked a particular cabin on d deck on select fare  of which there is no equivalent on day 1 of release and am worried that  we will in effect be downgraded if moved.

4 weeks till sailing and no confirmation of cabin as of yet

3 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

Can anyone tell if on Ventura the rear most cabins on d deck are still in the isolation zone? 

I booked a particular cabin on d deck on select fare  of which there is no equivalent on day 1 of release and am worried that  we will in effect be downgraded if moved.

4 weeks till sailing and no confirmation of cabin as of yet

If you booked select and chose your cabin, then it should be shown on your My P&O cruises account.

• Like 1