Price drop after final payment

tx121

We saw a price drop (about $230) on our cruise in May but the final payment is already paid. Besides upgrading to a cabin in a different category, does Princess offer any other options such as onboard credit, free gratuities, bottle of wine, etc? The cruise is more than 30 days away....would it be able to get the price reduction?

5 minutes ago, tx121 said:

We saw a price drop (about $230) on our cruise in May but the final payment is already paid. Besides upgrading to a cabin in a different category, does Princess offer any other options such as onboard credit, free gratuities, bottle of wine, etc? The cruise is more than 30 days away....would it be able to get the price reduction?

It's worth a call to ask.

I've heard from some people in a group chat that they have been refunded the difference back to their credit card.  I only received the difference in FFC because the cruise was partially paid with an FFC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beavismom said:

We had a similar issue and they said no.  We are booked through a big box TA, so you might get a different answer if booked directly.

That's why you were told no. The TA has to be the one to call and ask as they "own" the booking.

If the OP is booked directly with Princess, they can call and they will probably do something for them.

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That's why you were told no. The TA has to be the one to call and ask as they "own" the booking.

If the OP is booked directly with Princess, they can call and they will probably do something for them.

The TA did call and was told that rate was for new bookings only,  

• Like 2

Every now and then you will be able to to get a refund (which will first come out of FCC) if the rate you booked under decreased or the new rate is not marked "new bookings only". 

If its a new booking only rate, the TA or PVP will pull up your booking and attempt to change your promo, but will not "see it" and therefore, can't change your rate.  Then your only option is to cancel and rebook - paying any penalty that you may be assessed.

If you cancel a booking covered by "cruise with confidence", there is a lag before the refund is processed and the penalty fees are changed into FCCs.  So you would have to make a new booking with "new money".  If you have multiple cruises planned that might work to save some money on an up coming booking by basically taking the refund and penalty FCC and putting it toward that.  Not sure if princess would track that however.

• Thanks 1

My May 30, 2022 Alaska sailing out SF has 3 price drops after final payment totaling about $1000.  Three times I emailed my PVP and 3 times he refunded the drop to my credit card. I had the credit within 3 days each time. 
He’s done this on dozens of cruises for me throughout the years.  He’s also matched competitors OBC and added promotional OBC for new bookings without changing my original booking. 

Most recently, today he added an extra $150 per person OBC to a Nov 2, 2022 Hawaii sailing on the Sapphire from the Exclusive Sale that’s good through April 1.  He did not even charge me the extra $90 per person that the cruise fare increased by since I booked it. I kept my original price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx121 said:

Which cruise and ship ??

On my particular sailing, April 9th and April 23, the prices had dropped as we approach sailing. I called and tried chat and the princess number to see about an upgrade. Initially, the agents said that I couldn't upgrade at the new promo price. But I kept trying. I got lucky with one particular agent on chat and first changed one cabin, then the other, I had booked the two cruises separately. I was more than willing to pay the difference since it wasn't much. Both times, ( kept going on chat to get the same agent,) he couldn't see the promo price for my booking, but that's what copy and paste is for. Words of advice, keep trying, you'll get there. Moved from a lower category balcony to a mini suite for less than $200.

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My May 30, 2022 Alaska sailing out SF has 3 price drops after final payment totaling about $1000.  Three times I emailed my PVP and 3 times he refunded the drop to my credit card. I had the credit within 3 days each time. 
He’s done this on dozens of cruises for me throughout the years.  He’s also matched competitors OBC and added promotional OBC for new bookings without changing my original booking. 

Most recently, today he added an extra $150 per person OBC to a Nov 2, 2022 Hawaii sailing on the Sapphire from the Exclusive Sale that’s good through April 1.  He did not even charge me the extra $90 per person that the cruise fare increased by since I booked it. I kept my original price. 

I'm not sure if PVP's make a commission, but remember that when the price drops, so does a travel agents commission, so that may be where the reluctance is.  

7 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I'm not sure if PVP's make a commission, but remember that when the price drops, so does a travel agents commission, so that may be where the reluctance is.  

His commission is based on price of base cruise fare and number of cruises sold. 

On our first cruise we booked an outside cabin. About a month before departure (after payment) the prices for balconies dropped to match what I paid for the outside cabin ("for new bookings ONLY"). I called my PVP and asked if she could do anything for me. She put me on hold for about 15 minutes and got back and announced she had upgraded us to a balcony cabin.

I'm a big fan of Princess Vacation Planner staff.

Eric

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MandE66 said:

On our first cruise we booked an outside cabin. About a month before departure (after payment) the prices for balconies dropped to match what I paid for the outside cabin ("for new bookings ONLY"). I called my PVP and asked if she could do anything for me. She put me on hold for about 15 minutes and got back and announced she had upgraded us to a balcony cabin.

I'm a big fan of Princess Vacation Planner staff.

Eric

I had basically the same scenario on my booked cruise and my PVP said he was unable to change it, because it said new bookings only.  I guess it is all dependent on your PVP.  Frustrating!

• Like 1

On our recent cruise in early March I noticed a price drop after final payment, called my TA and they called Princess and got it for me, including the current promotion which added a specialty dining meal. All it takes is some time on hold but worth it for us! It never hurts to ask. All they can say is no but they may say yes!

Edited by minnesotasisu

On 3/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi

I try to send you a private message but that function is shut down.

I may need to use a PVP after years with a TA.  The TA used to be very attentive with personalized services when I first started the working relationship 16 or 17 years ago.   I hardly need anything as we normally book when final payment deadline was long gone and our bookings were paid upon reservation.   The few times I needed help generally related to some extended hold or such due to flight arrangements not finalized,  etc 

Due to the close-in bookings we tend to make, there is never any refares done.

Over the years she has become the top producers of many lines.   I have noticed her responsiveness has gotten slow.  Other issues also popped up as she would do what she feels the best but not necessarily what I wanted.  Often when I was only asking some options, the next thing I knew, was she already did it - but may not be the option I had in mind...  It just seems the communication has become much less...

Recently dealing with Princess has been difficult for both the outside agents and the passengers.  After a few things I now feel it would be better for me to just use a PVP, so  I am not made feeling guilty to make requests with her.

If you do not mind to introduce your PVP to me, please send me a message.  Very much appreciate it.

On 3/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, beavismom said:

The TA did call and was told that rate was for new bookings only,  

My princess vacation planner spent 3 hours to get me the decreased price and add princess plus.  I booked a reduced rate solo cruise in balcony for about $800 but because I wasn't paying the solo supplement, I couldn't get princess plus.  A couple of weeks ago I look at pricing for solo and see minisuite with princess plus for less than $200 extra and I still had FCC sitting there.  She got it done.  There are benefits to using Princess over TA's sometimes.  

My PVP also drops the price  .... she's rather new (I've discovered) so she put me on hold while she asked if she could when it was clearly marked "new bookings only," but came back online and did it. Rolled the refunded FCC to a 2023 booking.