Live Review Allure 4/10/22-4/16/22

2 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Great review. Do you need to make reservations for lunch at MDR? Why can’t people mind their own business when it comes to whether you choose to wear a mask or not? 😠

I agree, but here we are. 

No need to make reservations for MDR lunch (only open on sea days).

Trying to catch up here! Last night, we stopped by the main dining room for a smaller dinner; I had the avocado melon salad (meh) and the tofu tacos. I have had these on multiple ships and always love them, but these were just oddly coated cubes of tofu in cold hard taco shells, and some very spicy peanut sauce on the side. This has been one of my fav items, so was disappointed, but not enough to order something else and waste the food. The vegetarian sitting next to us didn’t realize there is a vegan menu every night (in the app, scroll down past the kids menu to see it), so posting here in case it is helpful for any other veggie and vegan types. MxCatLady had the cheese plate (meh; I warned them it was nothing special but of course they had to try it for themselves), the fried calamari (thumbs up), and the beef tenderloin, which they said was quite tasty. We got creme brûlée to go, as we were too full. 

Later, we had a late reservation at Izumi as part of our UDP, but my partner was too full and in a food coma, so I went by myself. It was quiet and mostly empty on the sushi side, while the Hibatchi side was PACKED. I ordered off menu because of my food stuff; edamame, an avocado roll, and a cucumber cream cheese roll. Things have gotten much better here since I last sailed; the waiter was aghast when I pulled out my GF soy sauce packets (which I always have in my purse, and needed the last two Izumi trips before the pandemic), and brought out a huge bottle of GF soy sauce to show me, and fill a cup just for me. I also had a cup of gemaicha (brown rice tea), which was lovely in the evening. Also, because I love MxCatLady, I brought them back a backed snow crab and salmon roll (and of course they added in edamame and a seaweed salad for them) for late night snacking. They put it all in a bag for me, making it much easier to carry with one cane hand. We had a chill night, listening to the ocean, and an audio book of one of my fave sci fi authors. We could start to feel the movement a little last night, but in a way that lulled  us to sleep, not made us nauseous.

• Like 5

Day 3; we woke up at about 9:30 ship’s time (8:30 local time), putzed around for a bit, and stopped by WJ to try and grab a quick bite. Of course, the section they had open didn’t have the GF section, so I had to ask and they overdid everything, so my ask for a GF roll and some potatoes (I had honeydew from the vitality cafe) turned into them finding a prepackaged GF hamburger bun (so dry! And GF bread needs to be heated to be ok) and then wait 15 min for them to cook about 10 hash brown triangles, which of course I couldn’t finish and felt bad about.

We were not in the pier I had expected from my last time in Cozumel, and not only was the dock SO long, but then the area was so full of aggressive sellers and it was hot and sticky. Being autistic (for me) includes being super sensitive to noises, and anxious about being yelled at, so even with my Loops in, it was too much. We got a present for my BFF (a cute little stuff octopus), I debuted a new skirt I was stoked about, picked up some vanilla for my pantry and my other bestie, and went back to the ship. We stopped in park cafe for a salad for me, and fruit for MxCatLady, plus fresh Oj, a mocha for them and an iced chai for me, and headed up to the Solarium which was close to empty. Had a wonderful time in the pool and warm tub, with some really nice folks. I cannot get over how hot that deck gets though; my poor feet burned! After that, we stopped by Sorrentos where they made a GF pizza for me with olives, mushrooms, and green peppers, which I took back to the room, while MxCatLady picked up a hot dog at the dog house. And now; a nap until our 6:30 reservation at 150 Central Park, which I am SO looking forward to!

• Like 2

Trying to upload screen shots of my photos to see if it works better. Do folks want pics of food? I have been taking them, and happy to post if this works, but if you don’t care, I won’t worry about it.

Formal night last night and some of today’s vibe before we change for dinner.

8D7869CB-1EE9-4BC3-8F0A-E229F3BF5C19.thumb.jpeg.1333cfae1cd2dedc5a2b966f0676f43f.jpeg95D489C0-B815-457B-BDB7-D124DC692B81.thumb.jpeg.70bfa6eb844d6171d63cb1d605bfacba.jpeg9225A499-705B-4312-BD31-AF4B18867D41.thumb.jpeg.ce51589eb87c23b2232185ab0328ddd5.jpeg
C1E1BFAA-29C5-43D0-A8BD-255585534AB9.thumb.jpeg.96e53519a73b4972c3dc803b6c038dad.jpeg

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

are they doing the salad bar in the MDR at lunch?

Sadly, no. I was hoping for that yesterday and was a bit saddened, though I get it. Especially since so few people were using the MDR (great for us, because built in social distancing!)

• Like 1

Just now, CatLadyFemme said:

Sadly, no. I was hoping for that yesterday and was a bit saddened, though I get it. Especially since so few people were using the MDR (great for us, because built in social distancing!)

That is disappointing. I'll be on Allure in 2 weeks and that is always one of my favorite meals. Thank you for the review, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

• Like 2

I should also note that one thing that really is problematic is the internet. Yes, I purchased surf instead of surf and stream. I am not trying to watch videos or upload lots of content, but I can only access this thread (or news sites, etc) at certain places on the ship and even then, it takes forever. Sending an email is touch and go. Trying to text with my cat sitter (also on iPhone) takes 10 minutes to go through sometimes. I compared this to the past, when I have never had these issues. Heck, last time we were on Allure, we had Surf and were able to be on FaceTime with our vet live as she had to put our cat Jasper down. I can’t even use Marco Polo on this, none the less FaceTime! 

Pretty frustrating, especially for folks who are relying on it to be able to work a little (not some calls, but send emails or in my case, read journal article proofs , or accept calendar invites for the. I am thinking I will have to upgrade for our Voyager trip. I just find it so annoying that they sell you on Surf, saying it is fine for social media, email, FB messaging, etc. when it really isn’t. Is the surf and stream really that much faster? Guess we will see next trip!

Edited by CatLadyFemme
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I should also note that one thing that really is problematic is the internet.

We found that internet on Allure was really spotty.  It didn’t work at all in our cabin, unless you stood by the door.  Forget about it working on the balcony.   Our cabin was located about midway between access points.

When we were onboard last month, I checked, and our cabin next month is right beside an access point.  I hope that makes a difference. 

• Like 1

@CatLadyFemme food pics are always fun to see, especially for vegetarian research on our end. But if the internet isn't cooperating, I understand.

I don't remember being at that pier back in year 2013, and was surprised to come off the pier a couple weeks ago right next to Margaritaville. We ate there in 2013, and it was not right next to the pier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

I should also note that one thing that really is problematic is the internet. Yes, I purchased surf instead of surf and stream. Trying to text with my cat sitter (also on iPhone) takes 10 minutes to go through sometimes. I compared this to the past, when I have never had these issues. Heck, last time we were on Allure, we had Surf and were able to be on FaceTime with our vet live as she had to put our cat Jasper down. I can’t even use Marco Polo on this, none the less FaceTime! 

Oh, I remember about Jasper.  Such a hard time to lose a companion and not be there!  We lost our Taz kitty while on a cruise years ago.  I had given our vet permission to do what she felt was right.  Our cat sitter was one of her vet techs.  He started to fail and it was his time to go.  So thankful that we had said our goodbyes to him before we left.  It was before internet was available on ships.     

• Like 1

We are also on this cruise and Internet is shockingly poor. Our internet speed test shows 0.2 Mbps. We talked to internet people and they said that is what they provide for the surf package. It is insufficient often to do email or other things promised on that plan if you are using a laptop. It works much better on my phone than on laptop. Don't understand why that is the case. 

• Like 1

@CatLadyFemme, your octopus skirt is awesome! The pose with you holding the skirt out really showed it off, too! 

We sailed on Allure in September with surf and stream internet. Our cabin was on the aft hump, port side. Internet worked very well for us. Emails including pictures, Cruise Critic, streaming tv shows, anything I wanted to do, it did. I was very happy with it.

Yes, please on the food pictures. Internet permitting, of course. Don’t make yourself crazy or spend too much of your precious cruise time on it. I don’t have the same food issues as you, but I do have food allergies. I always find it helpful to see the food accommodations others are able to get on board. It makes me feel a lot more comfortable asking for the accommodations I need, and has inspired me to ask for things I might not have thought of, or didn’t know we’re available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

@CatLadyFemme food pics are always fun to see, especially for vegetarian research on our end. But if the internet isn't cooperating, I understand.

I don't remember being at that pier back in year 2013, and was surprised to come off the pier a couple weeks ago right next to Margaritaville. We ate there in 2013, and it was not right next to the pier. 

I will do them at the end of the trip for sure if not before then!

and yes; we were at the Margaritaville pier, rather the one that connects to a shopping mall with more local restaurants, the fish pedicures, etc. I bought some lovely glasses there last time and was hoping to get more, but no such luck.

• Like 1

Good to hear about the not-so-great internet on the surf package (well, not good for you or anyone else, but good info for me). 

We have The Key and it includes the Streaming internet and I wasn't even going to get an internet package for me. But with The Key offer being only $3 more than the streaming package and it's included,  I got it for us.

I wasn't planning on using my phone at all - I didn't in November on my solo cruise. My wife was getting internet to keep in touch with the pet sitter, pet cameras and work if needed, so I figured I might as well also. Not sharing the service will allow me to maybe do a Live Review myself.   :)

You two have a terrific day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilbrownie95 said:

Your skirt is beautiful!! I can't believe that you found a shirt that goes so perfectly!!

Love your review so far and I hope you both are having a great trip!!

Thank you! Even more exciting is that I already happened to have it. Love when that femme magic aligns 🥰

• Like 3

Last night, we skipped “first dinner” in support of our poor stomaches, and did 150 Central Park at 6:30. I cannot drink anymore for medical reasons, but if you can, their garden martini is one of the best cocktails I have had. MxCatLady ordered it and agreed. More excitingly, Armand (our server) made a virgin one for me with sparkling water in lieu of gin, and it was also so delightful. MxCatLady had the braised short rib app (also on recommendation of CC folks; thank you!) and said it ties Givovanni’s filet and gnocchi for best food item so far. They then had the lobster thermidor (my fault; I figured they would never get it else where) and said it was fine…which is never a good response lol. However, they said the potato situation it was served with was one of the best potatoes they had ever had, and that is coming from a lifelong Midwesterner! I had the beet salad (so good, but if you order it, know it is SUPER tiny; like 4-5 small bites size), the sunchoke soup (made GF and veggie), and a side of the marscapone polenta from the short rib because it looked yummy. All three were delish, and I would order again and likely will on Friday. The cauliflower steak is a misnomer; it is an entire baked cauliflower…which is a lot. Also, I love the yogurt sauce and such it is served with, but it is not even close to enough to accompany the whole head, so I made it about half way through. For dessert, MxCatLady had the chocolate peanut butter tart with black current sorbet and ordered the fried cheese cake to go (they had it for breakfast) and said both were outstanding, while I asked just for the.  black current sorbet  (another example of them not knowing what to do for me for dessert, and me asking for part of another dish and it being perfect; @erinsmom03, please encourage your daughter to do this if needed, especially if she doesn’t eat gelatin, which is in most of their mousse and pans cotta, plus in the MDR there are always vegan desserts too).

After a lovely dinner and stroll in Central Park, we headed down to the jazz club to enjoy Terri Davis and her quartet. Really lovely, though by about 10:30, the ship was really rocking (honestly, I wasn’t sure we were going to make Roatan as it was rolling all night). I actually like the movement, but prefer it in the stateroom. I already get vertigo often with my migraines and POTS, so being able to sit and enjoy the waves was much nicer. Also, a lovely moon rise over the water last night; I believe it is supposed to be full Friday night or Saturday?

We continued to listen to our audiobook, and after MxCatLady fell asleep, I finished the newest Phryne Fisher book.

Today,  we pulled in a little before 11am. Our accessible excursion was pushed back from noon to meeting at 1:15, so MxCatLady grabbed us some coffee and tea drinks, and we are about to head to WJ for a light lunch before disembarking. Hopping it is a little cooler today because yesterday was SO hot and sticky, and I am heat sensitive. I am trying a small soakable neck bandanna today, and taking my walker, so please send good thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sending you good ~cooling~ thoughts! I am really enjoying following along! You two are super cute; I love your skirt and their shark bowtie form a few days ago is *chef's kiss*!

In our family we do not have any special food or beverage needs/exclusions but I really hope your experiences can be helpful to others that do! 

OKAY STOP - your newest post came in as I typed this and I NEED to know where you got that dress and bikini (please say it's an underwire)! I am LOVING both of your fashion choices!

Edited to say sorry for all the exclamations. I clearly excite easily lol

Edited by Jenglish711
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jenglish711 said:

Sending you good ~cooling~ thoughts! I am really enjoying following along! You two are super cute; I love your skirt and their shark bowtie form a few days ago is *chef's kiss*!

In our family we do not have any special food or beverage needs/exclusions but I really hope your experiences can be helpful to others that do! 

OKAY STOP - your newest post came in as I typed this and I NEED to know where you got that dress and bikini (please say it's an underwire)! I am LOVING both of your fashion choices!

Edited to say sorry for all the exclamations. I clearly excite easily lol

Awww shucks, thanks. We really enjoy dressing up, and having not gone anywhere for 2 years, excited to show off 💜 the suit is from Swimsuits for All by Gabi Fresh, and yes! It is underwire, and more importantly (for me) is you can order tops and bottoms in different sizes. This dress is from Eshakti (as is my lobster dress that will likely be worn Friday), though a few seasons ago. Octopus skirt is a recent acquisition from Svaha which makes adult and kid size nerdy clothes. 

never be sorry to be excited🥰

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2