Captain Larry in Juneau still around?

NewCruiserMPC

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

I though they had closed as well. Was surprised to see the website.

When I put together my list of whale watching vendors and mentioned that I had been on one other excursion with a vendor that I couldn't remember the name  --- it was Cpt. Larry from Orca Enterprises.  The minute I saw his picture, I remembered.

Unfortunately, Capt Larry does not own his own business now.  His company merged (was bought out) by Dolphin Jet Boat tours.  Capt Larry was supposed to be still the Captain of the boat he brought into the company.  

Capt Larry's boat was wheelchair accessible.  Our family member is wheelchair bound.  We went on Capt Larry's boat with Orca Enterprises 4 times.  We really had a great time.  After he was unable to operate for a while, we did other tours on our stops in Alaska.  Then in 2019, for our last trip to Alaska/Juneau, we found the website you found, called, and made a booking for the wheelchair accessible boat that Capt Larry was still operating.  

We received several emails confirming the trip and giving info re meeting place and other info, including one email mid cruise.  When we got to the meeting place early for our 1:00 tour, we told one of the guides our name and which tour we were on and waited on that bus.  When it arrived, we gave our name to that tour guide and he didn't find our name listed.  He called the supervisor when didn't know anything but called the office.  The office was busy and told him they would call him back.  It got closer to time and finally the last tour bus for the whale watching boats had arrived.  They still didn't know anything and were just going to leave but I stood on the tour bus steps and would not get off until they called the office and found out what was going on with our tour.

Turns out that the wheelchair accessible boat was not operational and had not been for more than two months.  In addition it had not gone through the Coast Guard certification that was required of all tour boats.  They said there was no plan to repair it.  So I don't know if Capt Larry is operating another boat or retired.

In addition, they left us standing without any tour.  The tour guide said we could call a taxi.  I finally tracked down the two taxi phone numbers, but they were all booked.  So we walked around town a bit and went back to the ship.

I never received an apology, even after calling when we got home.  It took over a month to get the refund, with me having to call back again.

So I don't know if Capt Larry is still operating, but based on our experience, even if he was, I wouldn't rely on getting him.  Based on our experience with them, I would never book them for a tour, even if they got another wheelchair accessible boat.

18 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Thanks for the information about Ocra Enterprises. You mentioned  you did  other tours can you share your thoughts on these?  Thanks 

Unfortunately, Capt Larry does not own his own business now.  His company merged (was bought out) by Dolphin Jet Boat tours.  Capt Larry was supposed to be still the Captain of the boat he brought into the company.  

Capt Larry's boat was wheelchair accessible.  Our family member is wheelchair bound.  We went on Capt Larry's boat with Orca Enterprises 4 times.  We really had a great time.  After he was unable to operate for a while, we did other tours on our stops in Alaska.  Then in 2019, for our last trip to Alaska/Juneau, we found the website you found, called, and made a booking for the wheelchair accessible boat that Capt Larry was still operating.  

We received several emails confirming the trip and giving info re meeting place and other info, including one email mid cruise.  When we got to the meeting place early for our 1:00 tour, we told one of the guides our name and which tour we were on and waited on that bus.  When it arrived, we gave our name to that tour guide and he didn't find our name listed.  He called the supervisor when didn't know anything but called the office.  The office was busy and told him they would call him back.  It got closer to time and finally the last tour bus for the whale watching boats had arrived.  They still didn't know anything and were just going to leave but I stood on the tour bus steps and would not get off until they called the office and found out what was going on with our tour.

Turns out that the wheelchair accessible boat was not operational and had not been for more than two months.  In addition it had not gone through the Coast Guard certification that was required of all tour boats.  They said there was no plan to repair it.  So I don't know if Capt Larry is operating another boat or retired.

18 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

In addition, they left us standing without any tour.  The tour guide said we could call a taxi.  I finally tracked down the two taxi phone numbers, but they were all booked.  So we walked around town a bit and went back to the ship.

I never received an apology, even after calling when we got home.  It took over a month to get the refund, with me having to call back again.

So I don't know if Capt Larry is still operating, but based on our experience, even if he was, I wouldn't rely on getting him.  Based on our experience with them, I would never book them for a tour, even if they got another wheelchair accessible boat.

Oh no! So sorry you went through that. Thanks for the info though. Very helpful!

On 3/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, montgomeryfamily said:

I am sort of surprised at this. Capt Larry had an incident on his boat which caused his removal. The company was sold to Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. I really don't think he should be Capt anymore for any company.

Here is more info: https://www.alaskapublic.org/2014/08/07/juneau-whale-watching-captain-nabbed-for-driving-boat-intoxicated/ 

I agree that he had great boats with one being ADA friendly. I have not heard his name in years. I didn't realized he was still in Juneau.

Edited by Coral

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, lennythenose said:

This is sad news! I did a review in 2010, we did an excursion with Cape Larry. I remember writing he was a man of few words but when he gave a command his deck hands hopped to his orders. It was an amazing day! He knew his waters inside and out! 

Patty