single cabins

kevboy

I am trying to find cost of a single cabin. I assumed that they would be a little dearer than a typical double cabin but they seem to be exactly the same price. Can anyone offer any advice on this please. I cant see the point of paying the same price as a double and then having a cabin half the size. I have 3 or 4 cruises in mind but none specific as yet whilst still costing them.

thank you 

kevin

Have you tried Saga? I believe they have more singles, but I’m not sure whether their generally higher prices counteract that.

A much better product than P&O though, and much more included in the basic price.

Singles are often overpriced though, because the hospitality industry banks on selling extras over and above the basic fare, and apparently singles spend less per head than groups.

Edited by Harry Peterson

I would rather book a double for single occupancy, much more choice of location and not much more expensive than a single cabin or even less expensive. I tried a single cabin on Ventura once, absolute disaster, so noisy they moved me without argument next morning.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

I've only ever once had a single cabin on P&O. I find their pricing policy for solos very strange. Additionally, many of the solo cabins are poorly located, being forward and on a high deck. I generally book a double for solo occupancy, more often than not an inside.

Whilst Saga do indeed provide a much higher quality product, their single cabins (which are actually doubles with balcony) are incredibly expensive.

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A lot of P&O singles are actually dearer than a double occupancy one for single use.  In most cases unless it's a QM2 ocean view single I always take the double.

Likewise.  The KC single ocean view cabins with the double round windows on the QM2 are fantastic.   Have also had single occupancy in a balcony on QM2, which wasn't much different price wise to the single cabins, although like Megabear2, the single is my preference).  Arcadia, I always book single occupancy (to be honest, I've only ever been in the same cabin on her, ten times).     MSC Virtuosa, I have single occupancy in a balcony cabin.

Setting QM2's single cabins aside, part of the problem with single cabins on most ships are that they are either a dry docking afterthought, or they're squeezed in somewhere - on a high deck, right at the front, or next to somewhere noisy, so for a little more, it often makes more sense to have single occupancy in a "normal" sized cabin in a location of choice.

• Like 2

The problem with solos - as the cruise lines see it - is that they are losing the on board spend of the second person. I have had this argument a hundred times with them. A solo is much more likely to book an organised excursion, drink in the bars rather than the cabin etc but they only see solo cabins as wasted space as they are not half the size of a double, but more like 3/4. The bathroom for example is the same size in both cabins. Even  Saga's single cabins are about 150% of the double fare. Their new ships have 100 single cabins each, but since they are all inclusive, on board spend is neglible anyway so doesn't factor in. If you are not so bothered where you go, look out for no single supplement deals - not seen them on P&O but Fred Olsen and some upmarket lines like Regent have them.

• Like 4