Ukraine Staff/Crew

m8zenblue

Not sure if this subject is verboten on this forum.

I just wanted to make a statement regarding staff and crew on X from the Ukraine.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to the people of the Ukraine.

It must be extremely difficult for theses folks being away from family friends.

We have met many staff and crew from the Ukraine while sailing on X.

WE STAND WITH THE UKRAINE !

• Like 2

Next time you run into one take some time to talk with them. They are more than happy to take some time to discuss the situation and what is going on with their families. We gamble quite a bit and many of the dealers are from Ukraine. When they change off the table you can sit down at a closed table while they do paperwork and arrange cards.

The theme in common is that the families have evacuated to safer areas of the country, there is also a sense of national pride and Celebrity is making priority internet available to them.

The one thing I find disturbing (and all 4 of the dealers I talked to mentioned it) is that immigration in the states has tagged their visas so that they cannot disembark the ship for travel home. The reason given is a fear that they will disembark and disappear into the US population.

The lines have figured a way around that situation by disembarking in countries other than the US. We have several leave in Columbia when we made a port call there two weeks ago. 

25 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

Not sure if this subject is verboten on this forum.

I just wanted to make a statement regarding staff and crew on X from the Ukraine.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to the people of the Ukraine.

It must be extremely difficult for theses folks being away from family friends.

We have met many staff and crew from the Ukraine while sailing on X.

WE STAND WITH THE UKRAINE !

Your sentiments are very kind.

An important note, though, since this is VERY important to Ukrainians.  The name of their country is "Ukraine," not "the Ukraine."    "The Ukraine" was a region of Russia.  "Ukraine" is an independent, sovereign nation.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Your sentiments are very kind.

An important note, though, since this is VERY important to Ukrainians.  The name of their country is "Ukraine," not "the Ukraine."    "The Ukraine" was a region of Russia.  "Ukraine" is an independent, sovereign nation.

Thank you so much for pointing this out, Turtles06.  I am very close to a crew member from Ukraine and I know she appreciates all the love, support and concern she is getting from her current guests onboard.  Her family has left their home and moved to western Ukraine where they are currently "relatively safe".  My heart goes out to all.

• Like 1

We were on a cruise when the invasion was just starting.    One of the employees was from Ukraine.   I asked him what he thought and he said it was all propaganda and there  was nothing going on because he talked to his family every day.  After the invasion started he no longer had Ukraine on his name tag.  It was now Poland.    I sensed that he didn’t want to be asked questions about it. 

I never brought up the subject to him again.   Point is I guess some do and some don’t.   I think after a period of time they may get tired of talking about something that they have no control over or just don’t want to talk about it and get more depressed.  

Truly not a good situation and I feel for them.  They are standing up and defending their country with anything they can.  The USA was in Afghanistan for over 20 years training the troops and supplying arms and helping to defend that  country.  Pumping billions into their war plus the lose of our troops.  As soon as we pulled out they wouldn’t defend their own country even though they had the weapons and training. Sold the weapons to the enemy and was overtaken in 3 days.    Tragedy is we can’t or don’t give any real support to people who are willing to fight  for their county.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched