NCL Cabin/Ship Card

cruiserbear55

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Do we have 1 card per passenger Thanks Yes, with everyone's name

Yes, 1 per passenger. Each individual receives their own card. I'm not sure about the wee little ones as I don't have one of them.

You could also just put your card in your pocket. That's what I do. I refuse to wear lanyards (I'm a weird guy) and I hate carrying a wallet around with me, so it just goes in my shorts pocket...or, even better, I have my husband carry it for me. 🙂

I learned about the no hole punching on a cruise in May when I requested it of the CS desk. Fortunately, you can purchase the plastic pouch in stores like Staples. I had purchased one for our COVID vax cards, so I was able to use that. 

17 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

So would something like this work? I'm surprised they are not selling them onboard yet...

badge holder.jpg

This would work, provided the pouch is large enough for a normal credit card-sized cruise card. 

I think they would still need to take the card out of the pocket to scan for drinks? We had the little Haven wallets with a clear plastic portion, but they still needed the card taken out to swipe. Different ships might have different technology though.

51 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

So would something like this work? I'm surprised they are not selling them onboard yet...

badge holder.jpg

NCL does sell some either in a photo package (can be ordered pre-cruise), or, in the gift shop onboard they have some other "NCL version(s)."

Screenshot 2022-07-19 Lanyard with pouch.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if the Norwegian Getaway has the new RFID cards or are they still using the old magnetic stripe cards? I was Just on Carnival Pride and they still use the old cards.

Not that it makes a difference, but the RFID cards are so much more reliable.   

7 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Does anyone know if the Norwegian Getaway has the new RFID cards or are they still using the old magnetic stripe cards? I was Just on Carnival Pride and they still use the old cards.

Not that it makes a difference, but the RFID cards are so much more reliable.   

RFID with a stripe and bar code. Shouldn't punch a hole for your lanyard (if you do this) as it may disable the card.

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

RFID with a stripe and bar code. Shouldn't punch a hole for your lanyard (if you do this) as it may disable the card.

So there is no putting the card in the slot in the door any more on the Getaway, you just hold the card against the reader. Correct?

(None of the RFID cards I have had in hotels also had magnetic stripes, virtually every hotel I go to now uses only RFID and most allow me to use just my iPhone. At Disney World, only my Apple Watch is required.)

3 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

So there is no putting the card in the slot in the door any more on the Getaway, you just hold the card against the reader. Correct?

(None of the RFID cards I have had in hotels also had magnetic stripes, virtually every hotel I go to now uses only RFID and most allow me to use just my iPhone. At Disney World, only my Apple Watch is required.)

The magnetic strip is for use at the till points.

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

NCL RFID cards have chips/antenna, magnetic stripes, and a bar code (all three) so that it can be used on doors, iPad readers used by waiters, points of sale, hand scanners. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Correct. Just touch the card to the door fob lock thingiemajig! 

Since the thread has now turned to lanyards....meh, I'll just keep putting the card in my pocket. I'm a member of the no lanyard club!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'll just keep putting the card in my pocket. I'm a member of the no lanyard club!

That's all I do, but us gents have an advantage that our clothes usually have pockets.  The ladies often don't, but I've seen some, um.. creative, places to put them...

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

That's all I do, but us gents have an advantage that our clothes usually have pockets.  The ladies often don't, but I've seen some, um.. creative, places to put them...

According to my wife, the main benefit in having me accompany her is because I have pockets to carry both cards.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

7 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

According to my wife, the main benefit in having me accompany her is because I have pockets to carry both cards.

Oh, there is truth to this! I sometimes forget, but you two definitely bring up great points about the lack of pockets. I know my mom, grandma, and lady co-workers often complain about this. 

Thanks for pointing that out as I wasn't thinking about it! 

39 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Correct. Just touch the card to the door fob lock thingiemajig! 

Since the thread has now turned to lanyards....meh, I'll just keep putting the card in my pocket. I'm a member of the no lanyard club!

I go on many nude cruises, it’s pouch with a lanyard or just a lanyard or no key.

47 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

I go on many nude cruises, it’s pouch with a lanyard or just a lanyard or no key.

Well, ya got me there! I haven't yet experienced one of those cruises. Not much storage available for key cards. 🙂 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, nudistcruzer said:

Do NCL do those type of cruises
The pouch for the key card dare I ask :classic_blush:

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, hallux said:

It's not so much that they don't have pockets, they simply don't want to put something in their pockets because it creates 'lines'.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's not so much that they don't have pockets, they simply don't want to put something in their pockets because it creates 'lines'.

Nope, even when some women’s clothing looks like it has pockets very often they’re fake or too small to be any use.

But women”s summer wear with pockets is vanishingly. I do the orders for my family’s shop and any time I spot a skirt or dress with pockets I order it, thankfully I’m dealing with surf fashion so all the boardshorts (surf shorts) have pockets for wax combs or fin keys. 

The clear plastic card pockets for lanyards are fine if you never need to remove the card but the card tends to try stuck in them when you need to hand it over. I got a phone case on a lanyard and attached a card holder to that, very handy, alternatively you can get a hard plastic card holder that will attach to a lanyard.  It’s much easier to take a card out of that rather than the clear plastic. 

IMG_5609.png

• Like 1