Caribbean Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for tomorrow cancelled

MJU

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

The funny thing about all this is I'd fear a Noro outbreak on a ship far more than covid.  I caught it once in a Las Vegas hotel and it remains one of the worst trips of my life.  

Fortunate to never have had it from a cruise, but the entire family got it TWICE from daycare. That was not fun at all. I just got off a cruise a month ago (first time out of Vancouver since 2019) and felt safer on the ship than I do at my place of work...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, waiting2retire said:

Assuming there will be a number of contractors/workers on the ship while in dry dock, might there be a need to remove all pax and deep clean the ship, giving some “breathing space” before the workers board?

I wondered about that too, and would a contractor be hesistant about the job if they hadn't scrubbed the place from top to bottom.

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Fortunate to never have had it from a cruise, but the entire family got it TWICE from daycare. That was not fun at all. I just got off a cruise a month ago (first time out of Vancouver since 2019) and felt safer on the ship than I do at my place of work...

So did we last September.  At first everybody was practically bathing in Prell, but after a couple of days we began to relax.  I didn't hear so much as a cough or sneeze, everybody must have been stifling it.

2 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

Can't imagine Princess wouldn't be telling the truth about necessary repairs. 

I'm sure that's the truth, the covid situation merely complicated it, making it a mixture of several factors....why not kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone?  Get all pax off.  And prepare the ship good for the lucrative Alaska season. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I suspect this is the case, too. Not to mention the arrangements that would need to be made for those on the ship that ARE positive - I just read the updated rules on the Canadian government site and it states 14 day quarantine for both positive AND close contacts! That's a loooooong time to be in a Vancouver hotel! 

Thanks for this reminder!  Now I should rethink all my cruises disembarking in Canada!!

20 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'm sure that's the truth, the covid situation merely complicated it, making it a mixture of several factors....why not kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone?  Get all pax off.  And prepare the ship good for the lucrative Alaska season. 

All of the passengers would have been off the ship 4 days later anyway.  They would not stay onboard for drydock.  And the Caribbean Princess is headed back to the Caribbean where it will stay for the summer season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I suspect this is the case, too. Not to mention the arrangements that would need to be made for those on the ship that ARE positive - I just read the updated rules on the Canadian government site and it states 14 day quarantine for both positive AND close contacts! That's a loooooong time to be in a Vancouver hotel! 

Can you post the link to this? We aren’t required by provincial requirements to do this.  Is this a federal link? Is it after the new April 1 adjustments? 

• Like 1

Loving the breathless "IT'S DEFINITELY COVID" speculation, but it seems just as likely that the small number of passengers for a four-day sailing to Vancouver (before a scheduled dry dock) just wasn't financially feasible for the line to run?

I'm sure we'll get multiple CC members who chime in saying they were supposed to be boarding this voyage, but the vast majority of mainstream cruise line passengers aren't taking a 4 day, one way trip to Canada at the start of April.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Loving the breathless "IT'S DEFINITELY COVID" speculation, but it seems just as likely that the small number of passengers for a four-day sailing to Vancouver (before a scheduled dry dock) just wasn't financially feasible for the line to run?

I'm sure we'll get multiple CC members who chime in saying they were supposed to be boarding this voyage, but the vast majority of mainstream cruise line passengers aren't taking a 4 day, one way trip to Canada at the start of April.

Absolutely 

My understanding from a Princess group on FB, is that this was originally a 19 day cruise ending in Vancouver, in addition to being a stand alone 4 day cruise. 

I did see on another thread here on CC that someone stated they were told Canada did not want to allow beyond a certain threshold of positive passengers to disembark. I know that's just second hand information and may not be verifiable. If I can find the link, I'll repost.

I'm following closely since we're booked on an early May cruise ending in Vancouver. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desert Diamond said:

My understanding from a Princess group on FB, is that this was originally a 19 day cruise ending in Vancouver, in addition to being a stand alone 4 day cruise. 

I did see on another thread here on CC that someone stated they were told Canada did not want to allow beyond a certain threshold of positive passengers to disembark. I know that's just second hand information and may not be verifiable. If I can find the link, I'll repost.

I'm following closely since we're booked on an early May cruise ending in Vancouver. 

This is correct. It was sold as a 15 day cruise ending in SFO, a 19 day cruise ending in YVR, and a 4 day coastal SFO-YVR. I believe there would have been around 1200 passengers on for the SFO-YVR sailing so not full...but over half were ones already on the ship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tanyaewa said:

Can you post the link to this? We aren’t required by provincial requirements to do this.  Is this a federal link? Is it after the new April 1 adjustments? 

This was posted on my roll call - I hadn;t seen it before, but looks to be updated as of April 1st. Federal requirements much stricter than provincial (no quarantine of close contacts required here in BC)

We were on a Princess ship just before dry dock.  Work started almost immediately.  We spent our ship time in the Skywalker to get away from the smell.  CDC has the ship listed as "orange" with this comment: "CARIBBEAN PRINCESS    Passenger-Carrying    Orange    Highly Vaccinated    CDC has started an investigation and ship remains under observation."

Wow, I just read through that. It is confusing! If I'm understanding it correctly, a Covid + passenger can complete their (total of ten days, including isolated days on the ship) isolation on land but a close contact has to isolate for 14 days? I must be missing something.

8 minutes ago, Desert Diamond said:

Wow, I just read through that. It is confusing! If I'm understanding it correctly, a Covid + passenger can complete their (total of ten days, including isolated days on the ship) isolation on land but a close contact has to isolate for 14 days? I must be missing something.

That;s how I read it too...hence the confusion? Fortunately, I live in walking distance of port of Vancouver so if anything dire happens I can isolate at home. But 14 days off work would be a problem!

Sorry. Don't really pay attention to rumours. "Heard from a friend from a relative from a TA from a source in the company" etc.

I'll be keeping an eye on the arrival of the HAL Koningsdam on April 10th. HAL could be the season opener!

• Like 1

The 14 days isolation for close contacts is the same for anyone entering Canada.  If you drive or fly to Canada then one of the travellers gets Covid they isolate for 10 days but the others will isolate for 14 days unless they then get Covid when the 10 day rule applies.   I know because I have just done the 10 day and my husband and mother did the 14 day!!   They never caught it from me !

Edited by Cruisingawayfromthesnow!
  • Thanks 1

Watching with some interest as we are booked on the Majestic April 30, LA to Vancouver...

I have been speaking with people at Princess the last couple of days regarding other issues...but never once got the impression ANYTHING was amiss with our cruise moving forward as planned...

And, as a side note, Princess' explanation doesn't surprise me...Back in April of 2019--BEFORE anyone ever heard of Covid, we were on a "coastal" cruise on Emerald Princess, Vancouver to LA that was SUPPOSED to be a 7 night cruise that was changed, late in the game, to a 3 night cruise.  The reason:  A change in the dry dock schedule.  On that one, the cruise was coming OUT of a dry dock...and they adjusted the schedule to lengthen the dry dock time, resulting in our cruise starting 4 days later than originally scheduled...So, rather than making stops in Victoria, Astoria and San Francisco, we cruised straight from Vancouver to LA in order to get the ship back on schedule.  All dry dock issues, not Covid...and it was late in the game when they made the change...not THIS late, but late... A lot of people canceled, but a lot just stayed with the shorter cruise...

• Like 1

Global News (Toronto) reported tonight that the due to the # of Covid cases onboard, the Caribbean Princess (which was the first cruise ship to dock in Canada since the pandemic started) would not be proceeding to Vancouver.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

The 14 days isolation for close contacts is the same for anyone entering Canada.  If you drive or fly to Canada then one of the travellers gets Covid they isolate for 10 days but the others will isolate for 14 days unless they then get Covid when the 10 day rule applies.   I know because I have just done the 10 day and my husband and mother did the 14 day!!   They never caught it from me !

I had no idea! I guess I skipped reading that part when I travelled a month ago. Lol