Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

33 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Garlic ice cream passed without seeing it

It's on sale at The Garlic Farm on Isle of Wight.

image.png.4a78d21bc87050bbe99945ebdd21fc83.png

35 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Going to be a great day for Isle of Wight.    Sun is shining and shirt sleeve temperature.   We need to leave for the Ferry in 15 minutes.  

You're going to get lots more nice weather from today.  Forecast tomorrow and Friday for sun and highs of 21/22 degrees. Set to last (well in the south) for the next week at least.   Clearly you were destined to get this unexpected opportunity 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Make the most of it, it’s rained almost all day here in Yorkshire.

It was a perfect spring day.    Blue skies with fluffy white clouds.  I'll send it your way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You're going to get lots more nice weather from today.  Forecast tomorrow and Friday for sun and highs of 21/22 degrees. Set to last (well in the south) for the next week at least.   Clearly you were destined to get this unexpected opportunity 

Ahhh..  We always bring our California weather with us.     I have to say we have really had nice weather and enjoying it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Jim just a quick question do you think you got COVID on the TA on the second leg out of Southampton……just curious 🤨. Thanks

We had some on the TA but I would say 2-3X more out of Southampton.   Still hearing from those that departed the second cruise out of Southampton reporting testing positive after getting home.    Also hearing from some of the Crew that just were sent to Deck 3 today after weekly tests.  

It's like all other diseases it is impossible to point fingers but with the 2X passenger load, no masking or social distancing it is easy to spread quickly.  

For me I would definitely say the cruises out of Southampton was where I was infected.   I tested postie on the 10th day of the 11 night cruise.    Iain tested positive on the 11h day.    They usually say infection incubation is 5-10 day. 

I don't want to point fingers but I suspect we caught it from crew.   We were never close contact even with a mask with other passengers.   The under the table synopsis  is that a Passenger in the Penthouse on the TA had a party and had close contact to four RS passengers.  4 days later we lost our first Cabin Attendant  and then about 3 days later another stateroom attendant and our Butler.  

Our butler was in our room 3-4 times a day and we tried to get our masks on but could also have been touch contact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We had some on the TA but I would say 2-3X more out of Southampton.   Still hearing from those that departed the second cruise out of Southampton reporting testing positive after getting home.    Also hearing from some of the Crew that just were sent to Deck 3 today after weekly tests.  

It's like all other diseases it is impossible to point fingers but with the 2X passenger load, no masking or social distancing it is easy to spread quickly.  

For me I would definitely say the cruises out of Southampton was where I was infected.   I tested postie on the 10th day of the 11 night cruise.    Iain tested positive on the 11h day.    They usually say infection incubation is 5-10 day. 

I don't want to point fingers but I suspect we caught it from crew.   We were never close contact even with a mask with other passengers.   The under the table synopsis  is that a Passenger in the Penthouse on the TA had a party and had close contact to four RS passengers.  4 days later we lost our first Cabin Attendant  and then about 3 days later another stateroom attendant and our Butler.  

Our butler was in our room 3-4 times a day and we tried to get our masks on but could also have been touch contact. 

I suspect it is the crew also. I really think Celebrity needs handle this. I can only think the crew keeps circling it until everyone has it. I can avoid my room being clean, but how do you avoid eating? Still haven't decided what to do. If I didn't have to  test to return to US, I wouldn't care.

Hi Jim (and Iain),

First, let me say how much I enjoy following you on all of your "Live From" posts.  I've been following your trips for several years now, but I am usually just a lurker and don't usually post.  Second, I am so sorry that you and Iain contracted Covid on your second leg.  You have definitely made the most out of the unfortunate situation.  My husband and I both got Covid after our cruise in January.  We were masked at all times (was still mandatory at that time) and still managed to get it.  I think it was from the one excursion that my husband and friends did (I chose to stay on the boat) where they were on a bus for a transfer to a catamaran.  Even though they were all masked, they sat on the bus for about 20 minutes waiting for stragglers.  😒 Anyhow...

I come asking for advice.  You seem to be a wealth of knowledge so hopefully you can help me with a couple of questions.

1.  You mention in some of your posts about an iPhone photography course or something to that affect.  Could you give me more details?  I've just recently purchased the new iPhone 13 Pro Max and understand that it is supposed to take great photos but would like to learn more.

2.  Can you provide any insight to your cell service?  Do you purchase a SIM card or do you have an international calling plan? 

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.  

Thanks again for your great posts and positive attitude.  I'm going to try and adopt your attitude when travel plans throw me a curveball.  😉

Since Iain isn’t an early raiser I booked a 10:00 ferry returning at 4:00 pm. Turned out to be perfect amount of time. 

The Ferry Port is only about 1 mile from our place so was a quick drive to the port.   Very interesting to see how quickly they turn the ferries. 

35942146-9715-4493-8B20-91C38D4A21A2.thumb.jpeg.bd37c8851590f1211c54e88cd5981263.jpeg

169BD624-F9A5-4D1A-97B5-BA36086A482D.thumb.jpeg.e881a178a7ff6c65140908b78abe3807.jpeg

0C5B19F3-5AA2-4DA8-8C75-3E71BBB0BBDC.thumb.jpeg.4edecace9681a199522355a21d9ba633.jpeg

• Like 5

We fired up our trusty Apple Maps and entered Osborne House as it was top on our list.  We were not disappointed.  

It was about a 45 minute drive. 

064F97E1-B61C-4F97-A736-1B6252E4197D.thumb.jpeg.288c28975984165f1c00c6c7bdcdc08f.jpeg

The Rhododendrons are in their prime

3042E208-C72E-4554-8767-F9D4877792FE.thumb.jpeg.b417f237c53ddcd0ea030a8ec90cb5a5.jpeg

After purchasing our Concession tickets (Senior Rate) we were directed down a path to the main entrance. 

28A6284F-D88B-4FA9-A558-BD00825FB8D0.thumb.jpeg.1d85d02be41168ebdcabbb12e3ed0992.jpeg

7989AC0E-7ED2-4FCC-ACE0-B0373E3F774D.thumb.jpeg.f14bfd868420a30b0616fa272f110118.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Hi Jim (and Iain),

First, let me say how much I enjoy following you on all of your "Live From" posts.  I've been following your trips for several years now, but I am usually just a lurker and don't usually post.  Second, I am so sorry that you and Iain contracted Covid on your second leg.  You have definitely made the most out of the unfortunate situation.  My husband and I both got Covid after our cruise in January.  We were masked at all times (was still mandatory at that time) and still managed to get it.  I think it was from the one excursion that my husband and friends did (I chose to stay on the boat) where they were on a bus for a transfer to a catamaran.  Even though they were all masked, they sat on the bus for about 20 minutes waiting for stragglers.  😒 Anyhow...

I come asking for advice.  You seem to be a wealth of knowledge so hopefully you can help me with a couple of questions.

1.  You mention in some of your posts about an iPhone photography course or something to that affect.  Could you give me more details?  I've just recently purchased the new iPhone 13 Pro Max and understand that it is supposed to take great photos but would like to learn more.

2.  Can you provide any insight to your cell service?  Do you purchase a SIM card or do you have an international calling plan? 

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.  

Thanks again for your great posts and positive attitude.  I'm going to try and adopt your attitude when travel plans throw me a curveball.  😉

1.   Link to Emil's Photo Academy -  https://secure.iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photo-academy?q=/   By the way -   It's always on sale at 80% off     He is a very engaging teacher and you have access to all his recorded lessons.    To help he has a dedicated user Facebook Group where you post your exercises and others encourage you and give pointers and suggestions.   Some even take your picture and show you a trick they have picked up.    He starts out slow on how to hold you phone and then moves on to framing your photo and techniques.   Later he moves on to enhancing your photos - Post Photo processing and filters.  

2.  For Phone Service we have T-Mobile Magenta Plan.   At the time I first subscribed I got 3 lines at $99 per month (my daughter uses the 3rd)    Free international roaming in about 210 countries.   Speeds are a bit slow at 256kbps but adequate for  mapping programs, email and text.   Sometime I can post my photos on CC.  Phone Calls are 25 Cents per minute.   You can day pass for $5.00 if you want higher speeds but I've never needed it.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

1.   Link to Emil's Photo Academy -  https://secure.iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photo-academy?q=/   By the way -   It's always on sale at 80% off     He is a very engaging teacher and you have access to all his recorded lessons.    To help he has a dedicated user Facebook Group where you post your exercises and others encourage you and give pointers and suggestions.   Some even take your picture and show you a trick they have picked up.    He starts out slow on how to hold you phone and then moves on to framing your photo and techniques.   Later he moves on to enhancing your photos - Post Photo processing and filters.  

2.  For Phone Service we have T-Mobile Magenta Plan.   At the time I first subscribed I got 3 lines at $99 per month (my daughter uses the 3rd)    Free international roaming in about 210 countries.   Speeds are a bit slow at 256kbps but adequate for  mapping programs, email and text.   Sometime I can post my photos on CC.  Phone Calls are 25 Cents per minute.   You can day pass for $5.00 if you want higher speeds but I've never needed it.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and your visit with Iain's family.

3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

We live near an areal called Gilroy which grows about 80% of U.S. production of Garlic.   Each year they have a Garlic Festival with every garlic product including garlic ice cream.   Unfortunatly many of you may remember July 28, 2019, when a gunman opened fire on the crowd killing 3 and wounding 19. 

It has dampened the spirit of the festival ever since. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and your visit with Iain's family.

You are welcome.   Also you are also always welcome to jump in and post your thoughts and love of Celebrity and Cruising in general.   I've gotten to meet so many really nice people here.  

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

We live near an areal called Gilroy which grows about 80% of U.S. production of Garlic.   Each year they have a Garlic Festival with every garlic product including garlic ice cream.   Unfortunatly many of you may remember July 28, 2019, when a gunman opened fire on the crowd killing 3 and wounding 19. 

It has dampened the spirit of the festival ever since. 

For some reason I thought you lived in Sunnyvale. 

Tom & Judy

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Since Iain isn’t an early raiser I booked a 10:00 ferry returning at 4:00 pm. Turned out to be perfect amount of time. 

The Ferry Port is only about 1 mile from our place so was a quick drive to the port.   Very interesting to see how quickly they turn the ferries. 

35942146-9715-4493-8B20-91C38D4A21A2.thumb.jpeg.bd37c8851590f1211c54e88cd5981263.jpeg

169BD624-F9A5-4D1A-97B5-BA36086A482D.thumb.jpeg.e881a178a7ff6c65140908b78abe3807.jpeg

0C5B19F3-5AA2-4DA8-8C75-3E71BBB0BBDC.thumb.jpeg.4edecace9681a199522355a21d9ba633.jpeg

Ironic. A white company truck that supply P&O on an wight link ferry going to the Isle of Wight......it's red 🤔

2 hours ago, TFree said:

For some reason I thought you lived in Sunnyvale. 

Tom & Judy

We do live in Sunnyvale.     I was saying Gilroy was near by.    My son lives down in Holster so pass it often. 

• Thanks 1

Ok --- Really Apple Maps -   You have to start playing nicely with me instead of playing games and laughing at us.  

At everyone's suggested we set off to The Needles.   Easy enough RIGHT?  

The drive down was nice and THEN....  It told us to make a right turn and follow road to parking lot.   OK  that seems easy enough. 

The road turned to gravel an no where to turn abound until we got to the “Parking Lot”

A95665FC-B3BE-4FA7-A698-3487E836565A.thumb.jpeg.3c5cd3718bd59e371cf95cbee9959e59.jpeg

B1AAF58A-E6D9-403E-8623-6C36D14C68B6.thumb.jpeg.302b2dd5cfb1192523cbac60f68c0e8d.jpeg

4EBB41DD-B374-4A4B-A801-EB211BB7C221.thumb.jpeg.8e2927a2c0dca213a08b82149e386017.jpeg

The Parking Lot

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Off to our left we could see the lift and there was a steep staircase to the base of the lift. 

3D3DE8A3-D993-48B6-8B7E-58EA79DF3CBF.thumb.jpeg.38d2dae9ff7a2f150ce9b15bb3730841.jpeg

36B131E0-6D34-4413-BF14-FC335A2054F8.thumb.jpeg.82432da5bfaab196feabcef058346763.jpeg

14A408A0-8BBD-4BAF-8D01-BB9EAE93EAD6.thumb.jpeg.385ea4a17c81a3151627892073a78363.jpeg

AF5B6066-11D5-4138-AF39-560835B69D70.thumb.jpeg.dc74743c70784b01d935f8cda45ceb5b.jpeg

Beautiful views from our private parking lot.  

As I left I said to Iain, what do we do if we meet a car coming down. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1