Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

On 5/5/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I really don't think I would have thought I had Covid, especially after testing negative.   I would have thought I had allergies to all the trees in bloom.     From others I thought a Temperature was the number one indicator.   Even the nurse, the only thing she did at our door was take our temperatures.  Both us were normal. 

I’ve wonder how I would ever know without a test. I rarely run fevers, I’m constantly dealing with allergies and often have a cough from post nasal drip.  I was near certain I would be negative before of flight as I hadn’t been around anyone in over 10 days.  After that I’d probably need some different aches and pains to give me a clue. 

14 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I’ve wonder how I would ever know without a test. I rarely run fevers, I’m constantly dealing with allergies and often have a cough from post nasal drip.  I was near certain I would be negative before of flight as I hadn’t been around anyone in over 10 days.  After that I’d probably need some different aches and pains to give me a clue. 

That describes me as well, rarely run a fever, usually around 97.5, allergies to local trees and a dry cough as side effect of my blood pressure medicine. We came home from our son's at Christmas with bad colds and convinced we had Covid, but 3 at home tests came back negative. Anyone who was around us with the common colds would have thought we had Covid and we had post cold coughs and nasal drip for several weeks.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That describes me as well, rarely run a fever, usually around 97.5, allergies to local trees and a dry cough as side effect of my blood pressure medicine. We came home from our son's at Christmas with bad colds and convinced we had Covid, but 3 at home tests came back negative. Anyone who was around us with the common colds would have thought we had Covid and we had post cold coughs and nasal drip for several weeks.

i had a doctor when I was17 tell me I was lying about not smoking because of the nasal drip!  It’s been a few years since then and I still haven’t smoked and I till have the post nasal drip!  I often run slight under “normal” temperatures too.

it was my understanding that fevers, in general,  no longer indicated COVID because omicron wasn’t creating as many and perhaps the vaccines were subduing the rage that causes the fever. 

Because of these discussions I brought a few more test kits, just in case, ,what happened to Jim and Iian could still happen to anyone.  That  is pretesting could still be too early.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

If you haven't received it within 30 days call Celebrity or have your TA call if you have one. As mentioned, once I called they magically were able to issue it within  a couple hours. 

I may be wrong but I do not believe you can use an FCC for a deposit. I know I will be corrected if that is not the case. I thought I had to pay $900 and then add the FCC. 

6 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

It was my understanding that fevers, in general,  no longer indicated COVID because omicron wasn’t creating as many and perhaps the vaccines were subduing the rage that causes the fever. 

We had no fevers with our Christmas colds and it was also our understanding that you can have Covid with no fever at that time. Thats was why we self tested because we were going to spend New Years with 6 friends and we didn't want to spread Covid if we had it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I agree completely, I thought I had an allergy to tree pollen. Ionly tested as visiting my 92 year old mum in hospital and surprisingly tested positive this morning. Hopefully that gives me an immune boost for our upcoming cruise in July. Just need DH to catch it now!  Really enjoying your thread and wonderful pictures. It’s really interesting to see views from someone else’s lens. 

I think you will have protection for sure.   The U.S. interpretation of the Covid Recovery Certificate is you will be eligible for travel to the U.S. with the certificate for 3 months in lieu of a Covid Test.   I guess Celebrity still will require a Negative Test  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I'm much the same.   I would never have even imagine I had Covid.    Unlike many to this day neither of us ever had a temperature.   Since Covid I always have traveled with one of those infrared thermometers believing a fever was the first sign of exposure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Because of these discussions I brought a few more test kits, just in case, ,what happened to Jim and Iian could still happen to anyone.  That  is pretesting could still be too early.  

We ended up with far too many kits.   I had ordered some but due to the bank holiday weekend weren't delivered until I didn't need them.   In the meantime I was able to get 10 test kits right across the street.     It will be nice to have on hand for our next cruise but at this point we have about 14 left.   Plus the 3 kits for proctored testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I may be wrong but I do not believe you can use an FCC for a deposit. I know I will be corrected if that is not the case. I thought I had to pay $900 and then add the FCC.

I was of the same opinion but recently when I was booking a cruise (in the U.S.) a screen popped up asking if I wanted to apply a FCC.   I didn't have any left so said no.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm much the same.   I would never have even imagine I had Covid.    Unlike many to this day neither of us ever had a temperature.  

My normal temperature is low as I take thyroxine for a low Thyroid count. So even a slight temperature rise might not be recorded as a high temperature.

On the other hand, I had a bad cough for 4 days before I tested positive. 

Another beautiful day today.   I swear we must be bringing our California Sunshine with us.   I fear that is about to change as the weather is predicted to be rainy for the next week.

Alex and Evelyn, Iain's Sister and Brother-In-Law met us on the Promenade for a nice hike.   We decided to walk along the coast up to Troon, home of the Royal Troon Golf Club.  It is about 4.5 miles to the North of Prestwick.

4840A72C-1DAF-457C-B527-8729F628B26E.jpeg

39611531-B0C4-4928-8D7F-50147902756D.jpeg

426A0E71-C850-4F9A-B113-E650C5A0E4DC.jpeg

231714FC-BD58-4371-8D4B-47306D803CBC.jpeg

BA380E21-9B61-4E6C-9DE0-7370F8FA633F.jpeg

3CE58F0B-C6AC-4201-AE36-068CA29DDA9B.jpeg

9EF27BE9-3E31-4D6F-844E-60720B5E0673.jpeg

65102758-A67F-4486-AD00-38CB6CB67512.jpeg

7F969EED-AF07-4093-9694-ECB6A4039647.jpeg

A5D11090-53B6-455B-AA74-E9AEA8426A5D.jpeg

E3A70122-2B28-4E2B-A31F-DD5E36A008DD.jpeg

7B258C47-2C7B-406D-978B-038569A82383.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

apply a FCC

FWIW, we cancelled a cruise back in 2020 and thankfully received a FCC for our non refundable deposit. In March we were able to apply that FCC as the deposit on the (now cancelled) May 22 Eclipse sailing. Relieved that we could easily rebook on the June 5 sailing.

BTW, I have been following your live post since day 1, sorry for your troubles, but heartened to see you are making the best of it. Happy & safe travels.

• Like 1

Last night we walked to Iain’s sisters (about a mile away) to see some of the Grand nieces.  Beautiful night for walking. 

This far north the sun is up around 4:30 AM and sets at 9:30 PM

FA0A52DB-C7B9-4761-A0E9-030461C899D0.thumb.jpeg.adbc4ff89265a21d6ea26b4d9d7ccf0f.jpeg

62B41479-5C8A-42A8-A812-112B36A606F6.thumb.jpeg.6ea1e551b277c39ea0bb53d14c2df217.jpeg

Tulips are in full bloom

0EAF10A1-88E4-4535-9A01-461132777748.thumb.jpeg.fa40ef794ae8f9b97ade5d7248572628.jpeg
Don’t get lost. 

DFB8D940-A740-4473-8BAB-80D95D0A66ED.thumb.jpeg.25b92b92c976f1e0c2abddc6aeb4ac56.jpeg

And finally Bruno the brute. 

1F83A833-4C7C-4897-8A94-26D472D41125.thumb.jpeg.95767a4e0fe1e665823594e4c27ce062.jpeg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

If Bruno wants the last piece of cake I would let him have it…

LOL. Last time we were here,  Bruno jumped in Iain’s lap to lick him and smashed his glass.  At that time he was only a pup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I wanted to thank all of you who have been along for this journey.   I think it is time to bring this live post to an end.

I've loved all the chatter and "of topic" discussions.    I've added about 15 books to be wish list.  

I really feel like we have made some good friends here and hope our paths cross at some.  The rest of our times is going to mostly be family time.  Our Great Nephew who is 4 had a 45 minute chat with me.  I'm blown way by his maturity and learned about every super hero that has ever existed.

Happy Sailing

Jim and Iain

• Like 37
  • Thanks 16