J212 Norway/Iceland Arcadia

Triggertravel

We are booked on Arcadia 5 th July Norway/Iceland .we have been to Norway a few times but have never been to Iceland . We are Really looking forward to it so. I just wanted to tap into any information or experiences that people have had whilst visiting Iceland . What Weather  We can expect , best clothing to take ,recommended trips,best place to see whale watching what’s Reykjavik like overbite ? I do know that Iceland is very expensive , but this won’t put me off doing things ,what’s the point of visiting countries if you don’t go out and about exploring . Your help, knowledge any past experiences  in this subject would be very helpful 

• Like 1

Weather-wise, take layers. Even in Summer it can be cloudy, wet and chilly.  There are many good ports for whale-watching. Husavik has a good reputation but I don't know what your ports are.

I went to the Blue Lagoon from Reykjavik, which was great fun. Another popular tour is the "Golden Circle" which takes in some of the top sights and If you have an overnight in Reykjavik, very possible to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi britboys,thank you for your reply .we visit alkueryi,Reykjavik overnight  and isafjordur all seem very interesting places . We are also calling at Belfast on our way home which Iam looking forward to visiting the titanic museum . We have booked a couple of trips in which you have named blue lagoon, and the golden circle this type of cruise is very of piste for us, as we normally do med/canaries in summer 

20 minutes ago, Triggertravel said:

Hi britboys,thank you for your reply .we visit alkueryi,Reykjavik overnight  and isafjordur all seem very interesting places . We are also calling at Belfast on our way home which Iam looking forward to visiting the titanic museum . We have booked a couple of trips in which you have named blue lagoon, and the golden circle this type of cruise is very of piste for us, as we normally do med/canaries in summer 

The Titanic Museum is fabulous.  Make sure you book ahead on-line and jump the entry queue. Iceland is a beautiful island.

• Thanks 1

We went in June 2011 and loved every minute of it. Weather will vary, obviously, but it was warm and sunny then. Didn’t do anything of consequence in terms of excursions because we like to explore places, and that was great.

It was actually cheaper than Norway, primarily because of the exchange rate, but that may have changed.

Probably the best cruise we’ve done, and Iceland is just a delightful place to be.

• Thanks 1

I can’t recommend this tour company enough.  

We went on 3 tours with them, from the 3 Iceland stops.

Small groups (6-15), small vehicles, personal service, great drivers/guides. Each trip saw the guide waiting on the dockside for us.  Be prompt - they are

There are a limited number of tourist sites.  All are honeypots.  The secret is to get there before the crowds, not on 60 seater coaches where you are as slow as the slowest passenger, or the one who needs the loo ‘one more time’

Take good footwear.  Take light waterproofs.  Take layers.  Enjoy it

https://www.igtours.is/en/cruise-ships-2022

Also - you’ll get the advertised length of trip.  Ship excursions tend to leave 10 minutes late and arrive back 15 minutes early.  Then you queue with 60 others to get back on…

Yes - you’ve noticed.  I’m not keen on P&O excursions, generally.

Edited by Eddie99
PS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weather was amazing when we visited. Full sun and about 18 degrees,  shorts weather.

Reyjavik didn't impress, don't know why it just didn't offer waht we thought it would.  We took a quick trip to the thermal energy centre.

Akureryi however was a different experience.  Half a day tour to the bubbling mud, sulphur deposits, stand across the European/USA plate divide etc.  Afternoon in town which we really liked.

As we went a few years after the global crash it wasn't too expensive either as it was about 200 krone to the pound.

Don't forget if you buy any gifts to claim the VAT back.  The shops will help you to do it,

• Thanks 1

When we went to Iceland we missed a great show in the theatre because the sail through the islands was stunning. it went on forever and as it was in July it never went dark. Wonderful cruise.

Apart from local tours we spent very little money on shore as it was really expensive. This was 2019.

• Thanks 1

The last time we went to Iceland it was June and we had an overnight stop in Reykjavik where it was a cold and wet couple of days, the following port Akureyri was hot and sunny. We have done the Golden Circle tour and the Blue Lagoon and A Glacier hike all of which were great experiences. A group of us from here arranged arranged a landcruiser and driver in Akureyri for a fantastic day tour, this site may give you some ideas https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/day-tours/from-akureyri?durationIds=1&page=1

• Thanks 1

We went in July 2017 and bought expensive weatherproof clothing only to be greeted by 23 degree temperatures! Do the Golden Circle tour which though pricey, takes about 9 hours and is well worth it. As for Reykjavik itself - eye wateringly expensive with a pizza costing £25 in one eatery! Plenty to see though I did avoid The Museum of The Penis....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did a very similar cruise on Arcadia at the same time of year.  One of my main memories is sitting on my balcony in my shorts and t shirt in Isafjordur, near the Arctic Circle. I think layers of clothes are to be advised for this cruise, as you could get any sort of weather.

Another abiding memory is being out on my balcony the same evening at midnight, in the sunlight. Some proper midnight sun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love the way Icelanders celebrate the arrival of the dandelion.  We spend our time killing it as a weed, but they welcome its arrival as the first flower of the year and cherish it.

We had a lovely chat with someone looking after his garden in Akureyri, wondering as British people would, why there was a dandelion garden.  I've never looked at dandelions in quite the same way since!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We did the big tours from Rekyavik and Akureyri  pulling in the Geyser, Sulphur hot springs, waterfalls etc.  As someone has said though they are understandably tourist hot spots but very dramatic and give an overview of the landscape.  A small group sounds like a good idea! 

The most spectacular for me was the Þingvellir National Park where you can stand astride the Eurasian and American tectonic plates.  You can walk between them and is a very interesting and scenic.

Those two trips take all day but they are easy places to explore independently.

Akureyri has lovely botanical gardens - free entry and within walking distance of the port.  

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189954-d15037851-Reviews-Akureyri_Botanical_Garden-Akureyri_Northeast_Region.html

Isafjordur is a pretty, relaxed place to wander too although quite small.  There are few cafes.  There is a folk museum very close to where we tendered.  There were organised trips from the ship but it was so easy to just stroll over and pay at the door and very much cheaper of course.

The church has a beautiful 3D mural of a flock of clay birds over the altar.  Apparently they were sculpted by residents under the direction of an artist.  Sadly the second time we went, the church was closed but perhaps you could research times when it's open.

A friend went on a trip to some gardens out of Isafjordur which she enjoyed but from the town map we spotted what appeared to be gardens in Isafjordur - something of a misnomer though - the only thing of note being the huge whale bone jaw at the entrance - so i wouldn't bother walking up to that.  

There's a micro brewery called Dokkan Brugghús very close to the tender drop off too.  On one visit the weather wasn't great so we went in and tried a flight of their beers which we enjoyed!!!

Another vote for the Blue Pool from Reykyavik although i believe there is a new one - the Sky Lagoon very close to Reykyavik and apparently according to their website, you can get the local bus there from the town centre. Might be worth researching.

Enjoy.  We've really loved our visits to Iceland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1