How does HAL laundry handle cotton knits and delicates?

islandwoman

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

You guys have remarkable energy and I mean it when I say I admire your enthusiasm for your laundry.  I am sorry to say that I have very little energy when it comes to laundry and I am all for the lazy method of throwing my cares to the wind and packing the bag. 

Please don't misunderstand... we do not have any enthusiasm at all about doing laundry! 😱

But when it does need our own "touch", the "I Love Lucy, Stomping On The Grapes" method is the way to go, no matter where we are.  There are still some delicates that I prefer to do by hand... but not many.

On our 2 week NZ-Australia cruise on the Noordam in late 2019, our first (and wonderful) trip with HAL, we had unlimited laundry, and we really did make use of it.  Unfortunately, we are now quite spoiled!  

The laundry came back very nicely pressed and folded or hanging, and really quickly.

We were quite impressed with our trip, and if it hadn't been for Covid, I'm sure we would have had a couple more trips on HAL by now.  Sigh.

GC

• Like 4

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

You guys have remarkable energy and I mean it when I say I admire your enthusiasm for your laundry.  I am sorry to say that I have very little energy when it comes to laundry and I am all for the lazy method of throwing my cares to the wind and packing the bag. 

Please don't misunderstand... we do not have any enthusiasm at all about doing laundry! 😱

But when it does need our own "touch", the "I Love Lucy, Stomping On The Grapes" method is the way to go, no matter where we are.  There are still some delicates that I prefer to do by hand... but not many.

On our 2 week NZ-Australia cruise on the Noordam in late 2019, our first (and wonderful) trip with HAL, we had unlimited laundry, and we really did make use of it.  Unfortunately, we are now quite spoiled!  

The laundry came back very nicely pressed and folded or hanging, and really quickly.

We were quite impressed with our trip, and if it hadn't been for Covid, I'm sure we would have had a couple more trips on HAL by now.  Sigh.

GC

The reason I don't sent laundry to be done is that the pants, shorts, etc. I wear I for sure don't want them to shrink being put in the dryer.  I was not aware that you could request hang to dry, or something similar, and they'd actually do it.

Edited by 12cruise2

I developed a habit of packing clothes that are ready for the rag bag when traveling.  I packed a white knit top on my first longish HAL cruise where I used HAL laundry for the first time.

I got a telephone call to please come to the Front Desk.  That white knit shirt was brought to me with profuse apologies about a stain on the back that the laundry caused.  I assured everyone that the shirt was an old one and please don’t worry.  (Frankly, I could no longer see the stain!). The shirt was worn on the cruise and for several years afterwards.

In other words, HAL laundry is great!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have had several bad experiences with HAL laundry over the years. I  have had bad stains on laundry returned to my cabin but without any apologies from the front desk or anyone else.  I now only send out clothes that are not quite ready for the rag bag but are ones that I won't be disappointed if they come back damaged. I have taken many 30, 50 and 70+day cruises and some were when they still had laundry rooms so I could do my own laundry for my better clothes. Now, in addition to my older clothes that I send to the laundry,  I bring some nicer drip dry clothes that I can wash in my cabin.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Are clothes pins available by asking the room steward or should we bring some? 

We're gonna be on a 60+ day cruise and not everything will be sent in the bag, although I'm sure some if not most of the laundry will be, but not quite everything.  So what's the best way to hang what doesn't get put in the bag?

42 minutes ago, Niele da Kine said:

Are clothes pins available by asking the room steward or should we bring some? 

We're gonna be on a 60+ day cruise and not everything will be sent in the bag, although I'm sure some if not most of the laundry will be, but not quite everything.  So what's the best way to hang what doesn't get put in the bag?

On the clothesline in the bathroom.  And yes, bring a few clothes pins.  You won’t need many 😉 

Yes, bring good clothes pins, and another thing we do is ask our room steward for about 35 wire coat hangers as soon as we get on.  I use about 8 to keep handy in the bathroom; I can hang wet clothes on them, then hang those on the clothes line over the tub, using clothes pins to keep the hangers in place on the line, and of course for socks, etc.  Others I can bend the corners to keep blouses on the hangers, etc.  I've done this for years, and it works fine.  I also use the remainder to hang clothes in the closet; they take less room than the heavy, wooden hangers and can maximize space in the closets along with the wooden hangers--which closets are getting smaller and smaller in terms of room for our own stuff.

Edited by 12cruise2

Never had a bag experience with HAL laundry, which is an amazing contrast to what happens on Celebrity as I was reminded on our April cruise.

Items stuffed into the one-price Celebrity bag again came back in a lumpy pile, very roughly “folded.” 

I pack the same amount of clothing for a 7-14 night cruise as longer cruises - and soon to be a128 night world cruise.  Over the years I have perfected my cruise packing by keeping track of clothes and things I packed, but never used.  That being said, most of my cruise wear items are quick dry travel clothes.  I pack a little powdered laundry detergent, clothes pins, and some foldable plastic hangers.  I can wash a few items in the evening and they are dry by morning.  The only thing that I don't wash out in the cabin is a black sport coat that I wear on "formal" nights.  On the world cruise I may have to send it out if "wear a day, air a day" doesn't work.

One last thought, "formal" nights for me is a pair of black jeans, a colored T-shirt with matching pocket square, and a black sport coat. I've never received a citation from the "clothes police"  or a second glance from the maître d.