Trieste and Venice?

daleandrews

I’m currently on the Marina in Trieste. We arrived early this morning and spend the night. For those people wanting to take a day tour to Venice, the prices are $379 per person to go to St Mark’s Square and Doges Palace, $349 to go to  Murano Glassworks and Gondola Ride, and $329 for Panoramic Venice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisingsfun said:

I’m currently on the Marina in Trieste. We arrived early this morning and spend the night. For those people wanting to take a day tour to Venice, the prices are $379 per person to go to St Mark’s Square and Doges Palace, $349 to go to  Murano Glassworks and Gondola Ride, and $329 for Panoramic Venice.

Wow. Those seem like very high prices. Comparable tours are about $125 St Marks and Doges and $50 Panoramic. (Viatour), originating in Venice.

Do you know if Oceania was transferring free to the Venice Airport for those who did not have O Air? 

5 hours ago, Robjame said:

Wow. Those seem like very high prices. Comparable tours are about $125 St Marks and Doges and $50 Panoramic. (Viatour), originating in Venice.

Do you know if Oceania was transferring free to the Venice Airport for those who did not have O Air? 

You need not pay those O “retail” tour prices.

With the understanding that we usually mix O and private tours on long cruises, we take the O Life tours option. Though it’s base value is one tour per the $100 SBC units available, you can select any of the allowable O Life tours up to $199 (effectively doubling the perk value.

Most importantly, the O Life tours count toward the minimum number of tours required (on your specific cruise) for you to get the 25% YWYW discount in any tours you wish to additionally purchase like the “OS” St Marks/Doge one with a YWYW price of $284.25. (You could also do the Passport collection for a flat fee that gets you all the O Life allowables for $0 extra and paid tours at 40% off. However, when you do the real math on Passport, it’s never worked as good as YWYW for us. 
In any case, when you bottom line your total tour cost for the combo of O Life tours (the ones closer to $199 retail) and enough paid tours to get YWYW 25% off, the net cost of St. Marks will drop even further.

Still more expensive that DIY?

Not necessarily on many tour types - especially when you assign value to the convenience of selecting from the O list vs doing all the necessary research for, in our case, desirable excursions for 4-7 week cruises.

6 hours ago, Robjame said:

Maybe you can get cheaper transportation to Venice & do the Viator  options 

Now that ships are not docking in Venice proper maybe Viator  will expand their offering to Trieste & Ravenna for ships tours 🤔

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Still more expensive that DIY?

Not necessarily on many tour types - especially when you assign value to the convenience of selecting from the O list vs doing all the necessary research for, in our case, desirable excursions for 4-7 week cruises.

Very good breakdown of real costs of O excursions.

I tend to do what you do except for the drink packages but I am careful to remember that the O Life choice is not free. I am paying for that package. So the real O Life price has to factored into the cost of the excursions.

It is only a deal if I would buy that original tour at the advertised price. 

The factor we are both ignoring is the transport cost for a four hour trip for what could be a relatively small number of people (say 12 or 16). Cost in both $ and time.

All of this is most helpful. Our cruise (November 1 through 19 on Marina) still does not list any Venice tours out of Trieste but it looks like those will eventually show up.  Yeah, the costs are really high but I am sort of leary of trying a private outfit or DIY since the ship is scheduled to leave at 6:00.  Feels like there is a bit more insurance of not missing the boat on an O tour.

Are you docked overnight in Trieste?  The problem I see is that you seriously need hours in Venice if you only have one day to tour.  A week is barely enough.  Factoring in at least 4 hours of travel there and back doesn't leave you much time to taste and feel bella Venezia.  We never take private tours unless the ship is leaving later in the evening, because I would be so anxious about returning in time.  Unless it's an Oceania tour, they won't wait.

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Unless it's an Oceania tour, they won't wait.

You may want to read the fine print.....

In general, any cruise line will make every attempt to delay departure if one of its own excursions is delayed. However, “time and tide wait for no man” (or woman).

Though rare, there are various conditions in certain ports where a ship can only wait so long before it must leave. That said, what is most often guaranteed is that the cruise line will cover the reasonable costs necessary to get those “too-late-returning” passengers to the next port (which, hopefully, is not several sea days away). 

FWIW: Always carry the day’s Port Agent contact info with you when heading off the ship.

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Are you docked overnight in Trieste?  The problem I see is that you seriously need hours in Venice if you only have one day to tour.  A week is barely enough.  Factoring in at least 4 hours of travel there and back  leave you much time to taste and feel bella Venezia.  We never take private tours unless the ship is leaving later in the evening, because I would be so anxious about returning in time.  Unless it's an Oceania tour, they won't wait.

Well, we have no choice in this matter.  When we booked the cruise it was supposed to dock in Venice and be there for two days.  Then, as a result of docking regulations in Venice the itinerary was changed to one day in Trieste, leaving that day at 6:00 p.m.  Sure, more time in Venice would be great.  All we are trying to do is make the most of what we have left.  🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to read the fine print.....

In general, any cruise line will make every attempt to delay departure if one of its own excursions is delayed. However, “time and tide wait for no man” (or woman).

Though rare, there are various conditions in certain ports where a ship can only wait so long before it must leave. That said, what is most often guaranteed is that the cruise line will cover the reasonable costs necessary to get those “too-late-returning” passengers to the next port (which, hopefully, is not several sea days away). 

FWIW: Always carry the day’s Port Agent contact info with you when heading off the ship.

The Port Agent contact info is sage advice, and something we always carry, official ship tour or not.  We have been on quite a few cruises, Oceania included, where the ship has delayed departure, whilst constantly paging the recalcitrant passengers.  Sadly, they didn't always make it before the ship sailed.  

13 hours ago, daleandrews said:

Well, we have no choice in this matter.  When we booked the cruise it was supposed to dock in Venice and be there for two days.  Then, as a result of docking regulations in Venice the itinerary was changed to one day in Trieste, leaving that day at 6:00 p.m.  Sure, more time in Venice would be great.  All we are trying to do is make the most of what we have left.  🙂 

Yes, perfectly understood.  I'm sure whichever tour you choose will at least grant you some happy hours to enjoy the atmosphere.  

I chose to take the panoramic tour of Venice this week and enjoyed it but traffic and construction from Trieste to Venice cut into our tour time. And taking the Oceania bus to the Venice Airport was also a long drive.  It was very nice visiting Venice this month, not very crowded at all. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I chose to take the panoramic tour of Venice this week and enjoyed it but traffic and construction from Trieste to Venice cut into our tour time. And taking the Oceania bus to the Venice Airport was also a long drive.  It was very nice visiting Venice this month, not very crowded at all. 

They are always working on that road, and the road from Trieste to Udine.  They are the main routes for delivery trucks (thousands and thousands of them🙄 to and from Eastern Europe.  

They have been working on that road forever. The stretch from Udine to Venice has been under construction for as long as I can remember. From my grandmother’s house to Marco Polo airport is exactly 98 kilometres, and if you get caught in traffic - God help you if you haven’t given yourself enough time. Udine to Trieste can also cause great stress as Mareblu mentioned. Speaking of…Mareblu - I am shocked and impressed that somebody on these boards knows of Udine - if you ever find yourself back there again, make sure that you get to Pieri Mortadella - my favourite go to.

4 hours ago, RD64 said:

They have been working on that road forever. The stretch from Udine to Venice has been under construction for as long as I can remember. From my grandmother’s house to Marco Polo airport is exactly 98 kilometres, and if you get caught in traffic - God help you if you haven’t given yourself enough time. Udine to Trieste can also cause great stress as Mareblu mentioned. Speaking of…Mareblu - I am shocked and impressed that somebody on these boards knows of Udine - if you ever find yourself back there again, make sure that you get to Pieri Mortadella - my favourite go to.

Where is Pieri Mortadella, RD64?  And where is your grandmother's house?  My husband is from Tarcento (he constantly reminds me it's the "Perla del Friuli").  Haven't been for just over three years, but we are very close to our cousins and their families.  Mario's family (both sides) is originally from Attimis.  We haven't been since the plague, but we do miss everything about Friuli.  

On 4/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, LHT28 said:

Maybe you can get cheaper transportation to Venice & do the Viator  options 

Now that ships are not docking in Venice proper maybe Viator  will expand their offering to Trieste & Ravenna for ships tours 🤔

Even better, find out who Viator is using and book direct -often at a somewhat better price. We’re doing that with our upcoming May cruise from Stockholm for tours and transfer as a package from the same company Viator uses just for the tour AND at the same price.

Mareblu

Of course - Tarcento is La Perla del Friuli!  We are between Codroipo (6km) and Udine (10km) a small town called Villaorba in the Commune of Basiliano. My father is in the same general area, Silvella (Fagagna).

If you are big on Friulan culture, here is a video of my now deceased uncle - a famous artist - at least in Friuli. 

As for Pieri Mortadella, I know how to walk it - but ask anyone - everybody knows where it is. I was last there in October 2019 just before Covid, and eager to go back. One last recommendation - pizza at Le Due Palme - it will ruin you for pizza anywhere else in Italy. Mandi Mandi!

Grazie, RD64.  We thoroughly enjoyed your uncle's interview, and it's sad to know he passed, but his wonderful legacy will continue to enrich our world.  We have shared with very appreciative Friulano friends.   Heartwarming to listen to his story in his fluent Furlan.  We have cousins in Codroipo.  Keen golfers, as we are, they are members and play at Lignano.  We have played there and at Fagagna.  Just before I return to this thread's topic (so we won't be closed down by our sensible moderator), I defy anyone with linguistic insight to claim Otto's expressive words could be understood by Italians generally.

The only sensible suggestion, IMHO, for those wishing to really enjoy the wondrous atmosphere and unique taste of Venice, is to stay a few days there prior or after the cruise, providing Trieste is the port for embarkation/disembarkation.  I'm so grateful we had the magical experience of sailing out of Venice, in its ethereal silver twilight, on a cruise several years ago.  I can well understand, though, why it is necessary to sadly deny that experience to fellow cruisers.  

Do you always cruise with Oceania, RD64, and if so, which cruises have you done?  We are very much looking forward to our Sirena Baltic experience in September, if it still sails those waters.  We won't mind if it is relocated, as it's the cruise that's our destination for this year, after so long stranded ashore.  Since Oceania quite rightly cancelled the St. Petersburg overnight stay, all the stateroom categories which were previously showing "wait list" are now listed as available, so we're really not sure if there are sufficient passengers still sailing to make it viable.  We just would like to know as early as possible, so that we can make other arrangements if Sirena departs from a port other than Portsmouth as planned.  Happy sailing to all.....  

Linda

I have only cruised once with Oceania. Due to my pre-retirement work schedule I was limited to one week in March plus summer time. In 2014 there was a perfectly timed seven day Western Caribbean cruise on the Riviera which I truly enjoyed. In 2020 we were supposed to go to Bermuda on the Insignia, but we all know how that ended. Generally Summer cruises were combined with a family visit then something from Venice on Holland America. But now it is time to start cruising again.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:22 PM, Mareblu said:

We are very much looking forward to our Sirena Baltic experience in September, if it still sails those waters.  We won't mind if it is relocated, as it's the cruise that's our destination for this year, after so long stranded ashore.  Since Oceania quite rightly cancelled the St. Petersburg overnight stay, all the stateroom categories which were previously showing "wait list" are now listed as available, so we're really not sure if there are sufficient passengers still sailing to make it viable.  We just would like to know as early as possible, so that we can make other arrangements if Sirena departs from a port other than Portsmouth as planned.  Happy sailing to all.....  

Linda

I'm not that worried that they will substantially change the itin again.  Sirena is already doing Norway in the previous cruise, and though they could, in theory, change to a France + itin, she is basically doing that on the subsequent sailing.  And the ship has to be "somewhere" in that time period between Norway and France.  Guess we will just have the ship to ourselves. 😉 

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

I'm not that worried that they will substantially change the itin again.  Sirena is already doing Norway in the previous cruise, and though they could, in theory, change to a France + itin, she is basically doing that on the subsequent sailing.  And the ship has to be "somewhere" in that time period between Norway and France.  Guess we will just have the ship to ourselves. 😉 

Perfect scenario, Kate 🥰

• Like 1