Covid recovery protocol with doctors letter stating you are fit to trace

jimmcs16

I think I would be able to obtain a letter from my doctor stating I am fit to travel after recovery from COVID. But I am stranded in Spain still testing positive after having symptoms but am asymptomatic now. I do not think any person at the airport will acknowledge this letter and just send me away. I am not alone. Lots of people I am sure got off the Oceania ship in Barcelona that should have tested positive, or did so soon  after departure. I am tired of testing everyday see those two lines . Not knowing how long it will take to turn to one line is hard to deal with .

• Like 1

This is from the official CDC page so you can definitely travel with letter from health official:

People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to travel, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel according to CDC’s travel guidance. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to travel, must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

sorry to hear you are stuck in limbo

I would think you would  need a local doctor to confirm you are fit to travel

but the airline may still require a negative  test result

JMO

46 minutes ago, jimmcs16 said:

I think I would be able to obtain a letter from my doctor stating I am fit to travel after recovery from COVID. But I am stranded in Spain still testing positive after having symptoms but am asymptomatic now. I do not think any person at the airport will acknowledge this letter and just send me away. I am not alone. Lots of people I am sure got off the Oceania ship in Barcelona that should have tested positive, or did so soon  after departure. I am tired of testing everyday see those two lines . Not knowing how long it will take to turn to one line is hard to deal with .

If you have not contacted the U.S. consulate in Barcelona, you should give them a call to see if they can provide some assistance.  Their contact information is:

U.S. Consulate

Paseo Reina Elisenda de Montcada, 23
08034 Barcelona, España
Phone: (+34) 93 280 22 27
Fax (+34) 93 280 61 75

Also, contact your airline to see if they accept a doctor's note as described in the CDC guidelines and if so, what procedures you need to follow to get through the airport. 

Sorry to hear of your problem and hope you can return home soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

local doctor

THIS. My brother was in this situation, but in Nicaragua. He had to see a local Dr. stating he had recovered, not his Dr here at home. You need to try to find a Dr in Barcelona that would be willing to do this. Maybe not an easy task. Since you have internet I'd be googling away, if you don't have access to a local Dr there. 

5 hours ago, ORV said:

THIS. My brother was in this situation, but in Nicaragua. He had to see a local Dr. stating he had recovered, not his Dr here at home. You need to try to find a Dr in Barcelona that would be willing to do this. Maybe not an easy task. Since you have internet I'd be googling away, if you don't have access to a local Dr there. 

If OP has the right regular medical insurance (e.g., Blue Cross) with international coverage, it may be possible to find an in-network Geo Blue MD through his/her insurer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimmcs16 said:

My husband and I want you to know that you’re not alone. After disembarking Riviera in Lisbon on March 28th, we both tested positive last week. I am now negative; my husband continues to be positive after a week. We are stuck here (and quarantined in the hotel) as you are there, until he is negative or we can figure out the other option for getting back to the U.S. He is very mildly symptomatic at this point. I have contacted the U.S. consulate here to see if they can help in any way, but not hopeful. I keep reminding myself that with what’s going on in the world, as Rick in Casablanca would say, ‘our problems don’t amount to a hill of beans’ but this is, by far, the most depressing and frustrating experience in our many years of travel. Good luck to you. I hope we all get home soon.

• Like 2

Awful for you. We were on your sailing but continued to Barcelona. We are ok. All our trivia teammates, tested positive, one in ships hosp but home now, one in Marseille hosp but home now. 

Hope, all of you get home soon.

Not a way to end a cruise. 

With things as they are, you almost have to be prepared for the eventuality that you may have to stay in a final destination before you can return home. 

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Awful for you. We were on your sailing but continued to Barcelona. We are ok. All our trivia teammates, tested positive, one in ships hosp but home now, one in Marseille hosp but home now. 

Hope, all of you get home soon.

Not a way to end a cruise. 

With things as they are, you almost have to be prepared for the eventuality that you may have to stay in a final destination before you can return home. 

Sad that folks caught Covid. All the more reason for O to go back to stricter pre-embark/pre-cruise testing AND Masks e erywhere except when seated to eat or drink. Simple rules with significant results:

B8D2BDEB-E238-4D54-9FB1-0FE5751DC46F.jpeg

OP, I believe you were on the March 18th Riviera sailing, as were we. I know of a fellow guest who tested positive on the ship and had to remain in Barcelona after the cruise. He tested negative after 9 days and was able to fly home. Before that, he was working with Oceania in regard to getting a doctors letter to allow him to travel as per the CDC regulations. I know Oceania gave him some medical contact details before he left the ship. If you don't have that, I recommend you call O and ask for help from their Medical department. Alternatively, I would google "English speaking doctor Barcelona" and talk to one of them about getting a letter. I hope this situation resolves itself for you soon.

I’m feeling a little nervous on the entry side. Despite  being really careful- I know , I know, my husband tested positive then me . Both vaxxed and boosted .We have 12 days until we get on a plane . My husband is still positive day 8, me Day 5. Like a cold, pretty much both recovered except I have diminished   smell and taste 😢

in contact with our doctors and we will get a letter clearing us to travel in 12 days 

But I worry about still testing positive on Antigen right up to our trip 

I know it’s possible to test positive for much longer after a PCR but I am reading about increased length of positive testing even with the at home tests

a friend tested positive on at home tests for 17 days- symptoms gone well before that !

With Omicron ripping through the US I can see this as a problem and so far have seen nothing  from Oceania in regards to accepting a letter of recovery 

I still have time of course but being a retired ICU  ruse it’s in my DNA to worry 🙁

anybody hear anything ?

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sad that folks caught Covid. All the more reason for O to go back to stricter pre-embark/pre-cruise testing AND Masks e erywhere except when seated to eat or drink. Simple rules with significant results:

B8D2BDEB-E238-4D54-9FB1-0FE5751DC46F.jpeg

"All the more reason for O to go back to stricter pre-embark/pre-cruise testing AND Masks e erywhere except when seated to eat or drink. Simple rules with significant results."

I could not agree more!  Mask up, people.  Oceania, please MANDATE simple, easy precautions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Ironic that you can fly within the EU and even to Canada without a negative test but not to the USA.  I wonder if it would be worthwhile for some people to fly to Canada and rent a car when they get there?  

Good idea!