Costa Maya cruise port vs Mahahual

Ellaleah

I have booked a half day tour to the ruins with Native Choices.  My plan was to get dropped off at Mahahual and go  to the Krazy Lobster.  How does this compare to just returning to the Costa Maya cruise port and hanging out there.  Are there decent restaurants to eat lunch there? Enough things to see and do?   We will be a group of 5 or 6 including 2 20 year olds and a 13 year old.  Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to commit to anywhere in advance for PAYG. I would wait and see how you feel on the day after traveling each way, touring in the  heat and see how much time is actually left.

Krazy Lobster is fine for a budget friendly, honest location especially if you have members that want to cool off in the sea but it isn’t anywhere you need to go out of your way to visit. You will need to get a taxi back to the port from there. Also,  I would wait and assess sargassum on the day before I made any decisions. 

If you do get dropped in town, Mahahual is one long beach with beach clubs shoulder-to-shoulder next to each other - some are more honest than others, and some claim to be AI, or take a cover charge but that seems to be negotiable at the moment until numbers increase again. Best to have the names of some recommendations in your mind in advance and take your pick when you see one with the level of activity you prefer.

As Crew says food and drink are more expensive in the port but you need to weigh up against taxi fare especially now they have increased fares. (For a party of 5 they may well charge $20, which is ridiculous for the distance involved - we have only traveled as a party of 2 so I cannot confirm that.)

There is a pool at the port although we have never used it, an aviary, tequila museum and chocolate place.

12 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

No need to commit to anywhere in advance for PAYG. I would wait and see how you feel on the day after traveling each way, touring in the  heat and see how much time is actually left.

Krazy Lobster is fine for a budget friendly, honest location especially if you have members that want to cool off in the sea but it isn’t anywhere you need to go out of your way to visit. You will need to get a taxi back to the port from there. Also,  I would wait and assess sargassum on the day before I made any decisions. 

If you do get dropped in town, Mahahual is one long beach with beach clubs shoulder-to-shoulder next to each other - some are more honest than others, and some claim to be AI, or take a cover charge but that seems to be negotiable at the moment until numbers increase again. Best to have the names of some recommendations in your mind in advance and take your pick when you see one with the level of activity you prefer.

As Crew says food and drink are more expensive in the port but you need to weigh up against taxi fare especially now they have increased fares. (For a party of 5 they may well charge $20, which is ridiculous for the distance involved - we have only traveled as a party of 2 so I cannot confirm that.)

There is a pool at the port although we have never used it, an aviary, tequila museum and chocolate place.

hi how much for 2 adults?

2 hours ago, floridalady said:

hi how much for 2 adults?

It appears to be $4pp since cruising resumed.

It used to be $8 per taxi for up to 4 people, pre-Covid each way.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good info. Preparing for a trip coming up in Oct this year. I know that's still some ways off but I like to plan and research locations.

I was thinking about walking it but mapped from cruise port to Malecon area and it's about 2 miles or more, plus the pier. lol...I think $8 is fair. 

Does anyone know much about the golf cart rentals? Price and ease of renting one. I will search the forum for info.

BTW my cruise partner is not a seafood fan (UGH .. ) I have to find places that have beef/chicken tacos or something .. that lives on land. We may hit up YAYA beach, still researching. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, DeniD said:

Good info. Preparing for a trip coming up in Oct this year. I know that's still some ways off but I like to plan and research locations.

I was thinking about walking it but mapped from cruise port to Malecon area and it's about 2 miles or more, plus the pier. lol...I think $8 is fair. 

Does anyone know much about the golf cart rentals? Price and ease of renting one. I will search the forum for info.

BTW my cruise partner is not a seafood fan (UGH .. ) I have to find places that have beef/chicken tacos or something .. that lives on land. We may hit up YAYA beach, still researching. 

After months and months of researching the options in Costa Maya, we are pretty certain that we are just going to hop in a cab and tell the driver to take us to “the best” beach bar and see where we land.  We have that late 1 pm port arrival time and don’t want to miss our 6 pm early dining on the ship, so an all-inclusive pricetag seems like too much to justify in that short window of time.  (We do have six (out of 20) family members who are heading to Bacalar Lagoon with Native Choice.)

I am also the oddball non-seafood fan @DeniD.  Where did your cruise partner eat at Costa Maya?

On 5/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, DeniD said:

We were about to reserve Yaya last year when they informed us they  had suddenly changed their pricing strategy. It was now $25pp for JUST a lounger, if you wanted to order off the menu. When i inquired earlier that amount had been credited to food and drink.

$50 to sit on the beach in Mahahual is excessive by any stretch of the imagination, considering the facilities. 

If you are happy with the very limited included menu then the price for the limited platter and AI drink price is in line with other bars along the malecon.

We were disappointed since it was a bar we hadn’t tried previously and our scouting trip earlier in the year had identified it as one we would like to try. I would certainly confirm pricing and what is included when booking.

24 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

After months and months of researching the options in Costa Maya, we are pretty certain that we are just going to hop in a cab and tell the driver to take us to “the best” beach bar and see where we land.  We have that late 1 pm port arrival time and don’t want to miss our 6 pm early dining on the ship, so an all-inclusive pricetag seems like too much to justify in that short window of time.  (We do have six (out of 20) family members who are heading to Bacalar Lagoon with Native Choice.)

I am also the oddball non-seafood fan @DeniD.  Where did your cruise partner eat at Costa Maya?

That strategy would make me very nervous but I hope it works out for you and you let us know where you end up.

I would definitely have somewhere in mind in Mahahual rather than rely on local taxi recommendations. They will take you where they get the biggest kick-back. I have  read too many reports concerning over-charging and having to dispute the check at various bars in Mahahual to rely on a taxi driver recommendation. 

On 6/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, c-leg5 said:

That strategy would make me very nervous but I hope it works out for you and you let us know where you end up.

I would definitely have somewhere in mind in Mahahual rather than rely on local taxi recommendations. They will take you where they get the biggest kick-back. I have  read too many reports concerning over-charging and having to dispute the check at various bars in Mahahual to rely on a taxi driver recommendation. 

Doesn’t make us nervous, because we have used this approach before and we figure we are stimulating the economy.  Some of our favorite cruise port memories are from taxi driver recommendations.  However, if we don’t like the place we get dropped at, we will, probably, just walk over to The Krazy Lobster.  We might also ask our MDR server for Costa Maya ideas.  The cruise staff are often pretty knowledgeable about where to go.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Doesn’t make us nervous, because we have used this approach before and we figure we are stimulating the economy.  Some of our favorite cruise port memories are from taxi driver recommendations.  However, if we don’t like the place we get dropped at, we will, probably, just walk over to The Krazy Lobster.  We might also ask our MDR server for Costa Maya ideas.  The cruise staff are often pretty knowledgeable about where to go.

I was referring to Mahahual in particular although kickbacks to taxi drivers are fairly universal I would imagine.

Obviously the vibe of the place you are dropped at will factor into your decision of whether to stay but the most commonly reported problems in Mahahaul are connected to overcharging and disputes over checks.

There have been some reports on CC and many more on TA, often repeatedly at the same location. This occurred both before and since Covid so it is of long standing and I am surprised it continues. I am merely trying to make you aware. I think it is prudent to have the names of some of the reputable places in your head in advance even if you haven’t made a final decision.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, MississippiMom said:

I am cruising there in august. We made reservations for Jamie’s blue reef. $60 for the chairs and unlimited food. Get good reviews about service. Beach area is eh but the whole stretch looks like that. 

On 6/19/2023 at 7:50 AM, MississippiMom said:

A lot of staff, (especially entertainment staff), hang out at Pez Quadro because they get special rates. It is one of the more lively locations. It has been a long time since we were there and I don’t see it mentioned on here much any more.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 weeks later...

We wound up at The Krazy Lobster for a few hours.  (Carnival Valor sailing)

The margaritas and the chicken quesadillas were delicious, and we had a very attentive server.  We did have some vendors come by, but it wasn't horrible.  Overall, a lovely afternoon, but nothing particularly special about it.  No one was interested in walking up and down with me to check any other place out, so no idea what is next door on either side.

Edited by MississippiMom

4 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

We wound up at The Krazy Lobster for a few hours.  (Carnival Valor sailing)

The margaritas and the chicken quesadillas were delicious, and we had a very attentive server.  We did have some vendors come by, but it wasn't horrible.  Overall, a lovely afternoon, but nothing particularly special about it.  No one was interested in walking up and down with me to check any other place out, so no idea what is next door on either side.

Seems to be the main location these days.

Did you pick it in the end or did you go with the taxi drivers suggestion?

Were you able to get loungers and how was sargassum?

On 7/18/2023 at 12:44 PM, c-leg5 said:

Seems to be the main location these days.

Did you pick it in the end or did you go with the taxi drivers suggestion?

Were you able to get loungers and how was sargassum?

We did not ask for a taxi recommendation at all, and just told them The Krazy Lobster. 

There were tons of empty loungers, but none of us were interested that day.

The beach was not perfectly clean, but wasn’t bad either.  No sargassum smell.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...