Just off Discovery Princess California Coastal, April 3-10, 2022

sboh

I thought I’d post a few notes about my experience on the new Discovery Princess.
(This was my fifth cruise overall, third with Princess but it’s been 15 years since my last cruise. This was also my first solo cruise as my husband passed away two years ago.)

First, the ship is beautiful. I was a little hesitant about booking a brand new ship but am so glad I did.
There were 2258 passengers on board according to the captain’s announcement, so about 70% capacity, I think. The crew was friendly, always saying hello when you passed them and asking if you needed anything.

I had a port side mid-aft balcony cabin on Baja deck and loved the location between the main and aft elevators. The views when docked in San Francisco and San Diego were of the cities and the night we sailed from Santa Barbara to San Diego I could see the lights of LA twinkling in the night. Gorgeous.

I had made dinner reservations for a solo table through the app for the first few nights, usually at 6 or 6:20pm. There never seemed to be anyone waiting in the no reservation line so after that I just walked in, alternating between Ketchikan and Skagway (same menu). I enjoyed the food. There were plenty of choices each night. I especially liked the chilled soups, the peach one was my favorite and the goat cheese soufflé appetizer that was offered one night was to die for. I had an excellent meal at Bistro Sur La Mer. I ate at Gigi’s twice for lunch, good pizza and nice location in the beautiful piazza. I went to breakfast in the main dining room the first few days but had an early excursion one morning so tried the buffet and found I preferred that (variety and small portions) so I went there the last few days.

I flew in the morning of the cruise and had to wait awhile for the transfer bus so I missed the comedian’s show (first night) as I was a little tired. I saw the magician/illusionist show which was okay, just not my thing. I really enjoyed the band Meridian that played in the Vista Lounge, they did an ABBA tribute one night and a Beatles tribute another night, both excellent shows. I also really enjoyed listening to Aileen and Sticks several times in the piazza. The Rock Opera was a good production but I wasn’t familiar with all the songs.

I booked three Princess shore excursions:
Since I had been to San Francisco before, I did the Muir Woods and Sausalito excursion. We had an hour and a half at Muir Woods which for me was just right. We also had an hour and a half in Sausalito so I had a leisurely lunch outside then walked around a bit. Nice view across the bay to San Francisco. The tour guide was perfect, he provided interesting information but didn’t overwhelm with facts.

In Santa Barbara I did the tour that included a tour of the Mission Santa Barbara then had a nice lunch in town before going to the art museum for a Van Gogh exhibit. Very nice day. And since my scheduled tour was in the morning I was on the first tender so had plenty of time. (Last tender back to ship left at 3pm for 4pm sailing).

In San Diego I did the hop-on hop-off trolly tour and hopped off on Coronado Island to have lunch and take a tour of the historic Hotel del Coronado (they offer 60-minute self-guided audio tours daily or 90-minute docent led tours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday). 
I didn’t get off the ship in Mexico, opting instead to spend a relaxing day by the pool with my book.

re Covid. I took a home test on Thursday (negative) and an official test (free at Walgreens, also negative obviously) on Friday for my Sunday sailing. I wore a mask every time I left my cabin, removed it when seated for meals, then put it back on as I left. I always wore it inside but not always outside on deck. The crew were always masked. I tested myself this morning and was negative, I’ll probably test again in a few days. (I have no symptoms.)

I wasn’t really sure what to expect cruising solo, and with the whole Covid thing, but I have to say this trip really exceeded my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to cruise again.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for your impressions of the ship and your week.  We are currently on board for a B2B, hitting Cabo at Noon later today, then Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta before doing your itinerary next week.  So far the ship is excellent.  Love Good Spirits at Sea, especially their post 530 pm craft drink menu.  Only disappointment is no 24 hour pizza and the international cafe is hit or miss at midnight.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention in my review- definitely go up to the top deck for either the morning sail in or evening sail out of San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge. I watched the sail in (early morning) from my balcony but went up for the sail out. Fun, festive atmosphere and amazing experience. Dress warmly.

• Like 5

Does the ship have a decent Library?  I don't want to drag actual books with me, so I hope they've stocked up at least a small assortment.  Also do you happen to know if they have any board games?  

1 minute ago, hubble said:

Does the ship have a decent Library?  I don't want to drag actual books with me, so I hope they've stocked up at least a small assortment.  Also do you happen to know if they have any board games?  

Beginning with Sky (and Enchanted/Discovery) the library has been removed & replaced with additional couches & chairs by the Crown Grill Bar.

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Beginning with Sky (and Enchanted/Discovery) the library has been removed & replaced with additional couches & chairs by the Crown Grill Bar.

Happy I asked, so I know in advance.  That is really to bad.  One of my favorite ships is the Coral because it has it's own game room.  Love to hit the IC get snacks and coffee and play a game of scrabble in the afternoon.  Guess I'll pack my own books and travel scrabble too.

Just now, hubble said:

Happy I asked, so I know in advance.  That is really to bad.  One of my favorite ships is the Coral because it has it's own game room.  Love to hit the IC get snacks and coffee and play a game of scrabble in the afternoon.  Guess I'll pack my own books and travel scrabble too.

If I recall correctly it’s been posted that some games were available elsewhere & hopefully someone with direct knowledge will provide a definitive answer for you.

14 hours ago, sboh said:

I thought I’d post a few notes about my experience on the new Discovery Princess.
(This was my fifth cruise overall, third with Princess but it’s been 15 years since my last cruise. This was also my first solo cruise as my husband passed away two years ago.)

14 hours ago, sboh said:

re Covid. I took a home test on Thursday (negative) and an official test (free at Walgreens, also negative obviously) on Friday for my Sunday sailing. I wore a mask every time I left my cabin, removed it when seated for meals, then put it back on as I left. I always wore it inside but not always outside on deck. The crew were always masked. I tested myself this morning and was negative, I’ll probably test again in a few days. (I have no symptoms.)

I wasn’t really sure what to expect cruising solo, and with the whole Covid thing, but I have to say this trip really exceeded my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to cruise again.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  I have a Cali Coastal on the Majestic in less than two weeks, so your notes are very valuable to me.

Two questions if you're willing to indulge me:

1. Where were masks required in the California ports?  Indoors?  Outdoors?  On the buses?
  2. Were any COVID-related announcements made on the ship, such as how many cases were onboard or protocol changes mid-cruise blamed on it?

Thanks again.  I'm glad you had a great time.

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  I have a Cali Coastal on the Majestic in less than two weeks, so your notes are very valuable to me.

Two questions if you're willing to indulge me:

1. Where were masks required in the California ports?  Indoors?  Outdoors?  On the buses?
  2. Were any COVID-related announcements made on the ship, such as how many cases were onboard or protocol changes mid-cruise blamed on it?

Thanks again.  I'm glad you had a great time.

You had to wear masks going through all port terminals. And on the tour bus going to Muir Woods. The other tours I did were on open air trolleys. Not required at any of the restaurants I ate at, I ate outside two of the three places. I wore my mask at the art museum in Santa Barbara but can’t remember if it was an actual requirement. I still wear a mask when inside in public places, it’s just not a big deal to me.

I don’t recall any specific Covid announcements but there was a medical emergency one night that required us to make haste so someone could be transferred to a hospital and we were delayed a short while leaving Mexico, I believe, because a crew member was sick and they were waiting for medical assistance to arrive. I don’t know if either event was Covid related. There were no protocol changes as far as I know. Some people wore masks, some didn’t.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hubble said:

I use an iPad and the Overdrive app to read, I loaded up four library books for my trip and only got through one and started a second! I ended up doing more on the ship (shows, music) then I thought I would. I did see people playing cards and games in the piazza area but I’m not sure if they brought them or borrowed them from the ship. I liked seeing that, I really liked that piazza area.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Get spoiled on Carnival and RCI with it available 24 hours or Celebrity till 100 am.

Back in the 1970s, at a local, independent pizza shop in Valley City, North Dakota, my older brother made pizza that still ties with the best in world. I was only 13... 50 years later I am STILL addicted... to a LOT of different kinds of pizza! 

On Carnival, I was too busy at the Blue Iguana Burrito Bar to try the pizza...

Celebrity is nice because they will customize it just for you... but not as flavorful as Princess.

Slice COULD be quite good...IF they TRIPLED the cheese... and didn't overcook it so often. 😉 

Just got back from 20 nights on Emerald Princess... made way, WAYYY to many stops at Slice! 😁

15 hours ago, sboh said:

You had to wear masks going through all port terminals. And on the tour bus going to Muir Woods. The other tours I did were on open air trolleys. Not required at any of the restaurants I ate at, I ate outside two of the three places. I wore my mask at the art museum in Santa Barbara but can’t remember if it was an actual requirement. I still wear a mask when inside in public places, it’s just not a big deal to me.

I don’t recall any specific Covid announcements but there was a medical emergency one night that required us to make haste so someone could be transferred to a hospital and we were delayed a short while leaving Mexico, I believe, because a crew member was sick and they were waiting for medical assistance to arrive. I don’t know if either event was Covid related. There were no protocol changes as far as I know. Some people wore masks, some didn’t.

Thanks for answering me.  Some of this isn't what I want to hear, but I appreciate knowing.

• 3 weeks later...

We were also on the Discovery the 3-10 and had a similar experience. We did get off the Ship in Mexico, but, just to go check out the sea lions beside the boat. We didn't eat in the MDR at all, enjoyed a few specialty restaurants, Gigi's, the Cafe and a few slices of pizza from the pool deck eatery. I don't know what side we were on, but, we were mid ship on the Emerald deck which worked perfectly for us. We brought home tests with us and tested on board as well, and then when we got home, still negative - Yay I'm glad you had such a great solo trip (sorry for why) sounds like you had a wonderful time away.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, Team M&M said:

We were also on the Discovery the 3-10 and had a similar experience. We did get off the Ship in Mexico, but, just to go check out the sea lions beside the boat. We didn't eat in the MDR at all, enjoyed a few specialty restaurants, Gigi's, the Cafe and a few slices of pizza from the pool deck eatery. I don't know what side we were on, but, we were mid ship on the Emerald deck which worked perfectly for us. We brought home tests with us and tested on board as well, and then when we got home, still negative - Yay I'm glad you had such a great solo trip (sorry for why) sounds like you had a wonderful time away.

I was in my cabin doing a little packing and heard a funny noise so I stepped out on my balcony and saw the sea lions. Too cute. Glad you also had a nice cruise.