Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023)

MEFIowa

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Not complaining about change myself. I applauded bringing in a real table and removing the mini table at the foot of the bed. 

My complaint is furniture that requires getting on our hands and knees to get into and out off! They wanted a bench at the head of the bed? Great, make it at least 18-20 inches in height, standard furniture height, and I won’t complain. 

head of the bed? 😁

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

YIKES😲

If that is their carpet choice   will have to sail on another ship

That is almost as bad as the Azamara  carpets

The carpet style is not style, but then again I cruise for the ports and sea experience.  I almost thought it was a Zebra rug 😂

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Woofa said:

Wow, never seen an adjective they didn't like. 

Love this and totally agree! Reading this press release really gave me a good giggle 😂

43 minutes ago, maxamize said:

My favorite bit of expensive pr-wording; 

• Riviera and Marina will boast a radiant new glow reminiscent of a sun-dappled Newport estate yet with the warmth and joie de vivre of a chic Parisian apartment in which each element has been carefully chosen to create a comforting sense of home.

I think this is my favourite paragraph below:

image.png.dcff9eb4904f680976545e82ca78a6cb.png

I can't wait to see what the combination of a Newport estate, a chic Parisian apartment and an inviting Milanese townhouse looks like. Plus the notion of tables and chairs begging for attention is priceless. I am imagining them calling out "sit on me, please sit on me" 😁.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Who  wrote this...... a  political speech writer???     If I read it again I fear I would become diabetic from the abundant sweet self important tone...........   What a load.... !

Must be a hyperactive intern finishing his/her marketing degree with a minor in hyperbole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Not complaining about change myself. I applauded bringing in a real table and removing the mini table at the foot of the bed. 

My complaint is furniture that requires getting on our hands and knees to get into and out off! They wanted a bench at the head of the bed? Great, make it at least 18-20 inches in height, standard furniture height, and I won’t complain. 

Getting rid of that impractical table at the foot of the bed is worth the price of a low bench replacing it.  But then again, we're short.:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

It's kinda funny - if you think about it, there was obviously some firm that had to make a proposal to Oceania for the upgrade work... I sure hope all that excessively flowery speech wasn't lifted from that proposal - I'd want to think the Oceania financial guys are smarter than that.  Because, of course, the main thing they're missing is a snooty "twist of lemon"...

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

What are “tony bars” ?

So evocative of those wonderful 20th century English writers Evelyn Waugh and Graham Greene! For the aristocratic set. Read Waugh's wicked A Handful of Dust on our recent 12/13-23/21 Riviera excursion to the W. Caribbean. Of course, back then that tony bar would be heavily wood paneled, dark, smoky, members only, and no women.

I love the renderings. The colors are light, bright, and very pleasing. I will be curious to see if they remove the tubs in some of the bathrooms to create a larger shower stall. I prefer a larger stall and use the shower over in the tub. But stepping in and out of that tub is a death trap. And the GDR really needs a face lift. They have done a great job on the recent renovations on the O ships. The new Barista lounge is our favorite public space on the ship. I hope that the rest of the public space updates will be just as successful. 

• Like 1

Well I am glad they  warned me.....   I just was able  to cancel 2 cruises 20 min ago..... Dont want to be on   that sort of atmosphere with its Parisian and Italian  residential atmosphere  With a color palet derived from Bellevue Hospital in NY or some such sanitarimum.....    Dont think I will  enjoy being on a narcissist dream afloat..... 

I will book ships in the future which feel like ships     My wife is still laughing  at the  "banal diatribe" they  wove ....     Good bye and good luck  if  your into that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Get rid of that ridiculous mini table at the foot of the bed and get an actual nice table in for our Feb 23 cruise. No such luck.

100% agreement!  It's just another clutter collector.  We asked our butler to remove it, and the silly chairs, but he wasn't happy about it.

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

Thanks. I googled it and only came up with a kind of chocolate bar 🍫.

It's a GREAT chocolate bar!  I highly recommend the salted honey and almond version in the orange wrapper.  Also, all their bars are ethically sourced.

4 minutes ago, Debbers said:

100% agreement!  It's just another clutter collector.  We asked our butler to remove it, and the silly chairs, but he wasn't happy about it.

Last time we made the request, our butler told us they had no more storage space. It was about day 2 or 3 into the cruise and we were “ too late in asking “!

You must have best me too it!

Edited by pinotlover

Just now, pinotlover said:

Last time we made the request, our butler told us they had no more storage space. It was about day 2 or 3 into the cruise and we were “ too late in asking “!

Ooh!  Thanks--we will make the request early!  

• Haha 1

We were completely pleased with the existing layout of the Riviera PH cabin.  We able to use the little table and those chairs, occasionally, but the bench [which looks to me a good height for sitting as the bed is quite tall] would have been more usable.  We were also very happy to have two desks [counting the make-up table as the second], but a proper dining table would be even more welcome and it will make the cabin seem even larger.  We never considered having room service; with this table that becomes a real possibility.  So after the early posts got me worried, I think these are good changes.

• Like 1

Two things stood out to me. They are adding a Trattoria with wood fired pizzas. I hope they get it right. They also listed the capacity of the R ships at 656. I'm assuming the reduction from 684 is with the change in E cats to solo rooms. 

1 minute ago, Fredrik said:

Rooms now look like 50 shades of grey. Are they terrified of color? 😜

It's the 2020s style book.  Every ship is going with this palate.  One bright pillow if you're lucky. Will look very dated by 2025 when designers go back to dark wood and lots of colors/patterns!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Wood fired pizza sounds good. Zebra carpets seem like a nightmare to keep looking stick and span. 

Wood fires  on a ship!!    It will be fun to see how they do that since no open flame / fire is allowed by USCG on a ship..      Going to be fun to see how the do that.....er, going to be fun for you to see.     No more Jaques and all that fluff. sad....    Not for me, paying10K  to eat Pizza?????? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseLibra said:

I will be curious to see if they remove the tubs in some of the bathrooms to create a larger shower stall. I prefer a larger stall and use the shower over in the tub. 

I am VERY anxious to hear if the tub lives on but for different reasons. My hope is that it does. I am Team Tub! 🛁

That rug seems a little much for such a small space. But other than that I look forward to the improvements... just hoping the tub survives.

Edited by clairol

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Wood fires  on a ship!!    It will be fun to see how they do that since no open flame / fire is allowed by USCG on a ship..      Going to be fun to see how the do that.....er, going to be fun for you to see.     No more Jaques and all that fluff. sad....    Not for me, paying10K  to eat Pizza?????? 

Being foreign-flagged ships USCG regulations are of no consequence except while in US waters.

I've seen charcoal barbeques used on outdoor decks of cruise ships for as long as I can remember so outdoors it might be possible to use wood if properly enclosed in the oven.