11:30 am flight out of SeaTac?

Retired 07

Can we make an 11:30 flight out of SeaTac (arriving at airport @10:00)?  We are using Holland America transfers.  We don’t know how often their shuttles run.  We are also using them to get to the port on departure day, with our flight landing at 11:30 am. (Hopefully) Thanks in advance.

As discussed here frequently, 11:30 is the earliest recommended flights (some will push for 11:00).

Disembarking shuttles depart when they are full, and are provided according to demand. In other words, if a bus seats 50, and they know, by pre-purchase, that they will have 200 pax needed transport, they probably will have 5 buses. They aren't really on a schedule, per se.

Taxi is VERY easy out of Pier 91, and cheaper. I would suggest getting off as early as you can and grabbing a taxi. You might also consider the Luggage service discussed here frequently.

Be sure to look into the free luggage to the airport service offered by the Port of Seattle - Port Valet.  If your flight qualifies you can sign up on line before your cruise.

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Make sure that you let the HAL ship know what time your flight is so that they give you an early disembark time, so you can be on one of the early buses.  Both Hal and Princess passengers share the same buses, so when you walk out of the terminal you see buses lined up on the right side of the driveway.  Shoreside staff will direct you to a center aisle where they will board the passengers on to the waiting buses.  As @CruiserBrucementioned, each bus holds 50-54 passengers and the buses depart once filled.  

If you are able to use Port Valet, you won't have to worry about your luggage, it will save you time at SeaTac.  Just make sure you are on an early transfer bus.  I would rather have you have extra time waiting at your boarding gate, rather than rushing thru TSA security worrying that you might miss your flight.

Note that lines can get VERY long at SeaTac, especially at cruise season, if you don't  have PreCheck or Clear.

Something you can look into if you don't have Precheck or Clear is SEA Spot Saver:

https://www.portseattle.org/SEAspotsaver

This is essentially a "fast pass" for TSA security you can register with them for a time to go through security. You can do it 72 hours in advance so if you know you're getting to the airport at 10, your wait will be significantly less.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, Retired 07 said:

Can we make an 11:30 flight out of SeaTac (arriving at airport @10:00)?  We are using Holland America transfers.  We don’t know how often their shuttles run.  We are also using them to get to the port on departure day, with our flight landing at 11:30 am. (Hopefully) Thanks in advance.

You do not seem to have a time zone concern, so why not give yourself a break and book something a little less stressful.

29 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You do not seem to have a time zone concern, so why not give yourself a break and book something a little less stressful.

Thank you for your concern, but these are the most convenient, and cheapest flights we could find that actually fit in nicely with boarding time and getting off the ship.  Our only real stress is the 35 min layover in Sacramento.(and getting to the airport @5:30 am).  We fly out of a smaller airport, and there isn’t much variety.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:12 PM, Retired 07 said:

IMO, I would depart the ship ASAP and taxi to the airport.  While I have used HAL bus transfers in the past, they do take longer than the taxi and you may need the extra minutes.  As I recall, at Sea Tac the bus drops you off in a location that requires a bit of a walk to the airline ticker counters, while the taxi dropoff is right in front of them (saving you time and walking distance).

• Like 1

If you use the Port Valet - who charges you for your baggage fees?  I have a credit card perk that will allow me a "refund" of incidental fees (baggage fees) if it shows the fee from the airline.  I would prefer to get refunded for my checked baggage...but must admit the savings in time and hassle might be worth the $60.

Port Valet is FREE.  It is a service for qualifying cruise ship passengers from the Port of Seattle (a gov't entity).

What ever your airline is going to charge you, you will still have to pay that fee.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Port Valet is FREE.  It is a service for qualifying cruise ship passengers from the Port of Seattle (a gov't entity).

What ever your airline is going to charge you, you will still have to pay that fee.

I found out that the baggage fees are charged to my stateroom.  So, I wouldn't be eligible to get a refund on my baggage fees on the way home.  But it might be worth it to not have to deal with them on the way home...thanks for the update.

8 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

How about if you have airline status that gives you free bags?  Will Port Valet pick up on this or will I have to pay the normal baggage fee (on American)?

You won't pay AA's fees. The Port's service is free. So, unless I am missing something, you have no expense here.

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You won't pay AA's fees. The Port's service is free. So, unless I am missing something, you have no expense here.

I was wondering how Port Valet will know not to charge me the normal AA baggage fee?

As mentioned earlier, if you have Clear and TSA Pre-chek there is not a problem.  We fly out of Seatac all the time and on the busiest day it has never taken us over 6 minutes.

Edited by Husky61

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I was wondering how Port Valet will know not to charge me the normal AA baggage fee?

If its like the other programs I have seen (I have seen Seattle's, but don't remember the details) they ask you if you are subject to baggage fees and collect them if you are. You will declare your exemption and give the reason.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Like @CruiserBruce said, Port Valet doesn't charge anything.  If your airline did, then you may have to follow up with them.

Have you filled out the on line Port Valet registration?  Do they ask for your airline loyalty info?

It might be we have to wait until the season starts and hear back from this year's Port Valet users to found our answers.

Well with the way the airlines are going, you may end up with a time change anyway!  I just had to go back to the airlines because they moved my flights and made it impossible  . . .  both coming and leaving.  Bottom line, keep an eye on your flights and if you notice a change call them right away

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Have you filled out the on line Port Valet registration?  Do they ask for your airline loyalty info?

It might be we have to wait until the season starts and hear back from this year's Port Valet users to found our answers.

When you register on the PV website, it asks if you have a baggage-fee exemption. When you click "Yes", you then state the reason. I wrote that we paid for our flights with an American Airlines credit card so that our baggage is free. It was simple to do.

• Thanks 2