Covid 19 Assistance Program

lexmiller

There has been much discussion incidentally in other threads about Celebrity's Covid 19 Assistance Program ending soon and I wanted to start a separate thread for it, as it's pretty important, to put it mildly.  Royal has extended their program through the end of March 2023, whereas Celebrity is still April 30, 2022.  With cases rising because of this latest virulent variant, and Celebrity's parent company extending the date, I am mystified as to Celebrity not coming forth with a similar extension.  The '****' is going to hit the fan come May 1 when Celebrity passengers contract covid and realize they have no recourse except to lose everything! (Unless they've purchased travel insurance on their own, and I know that not all policies cover this scenario).  Anyway, I thought it would be informative to start a discussion and please set me straight if I'm missing something here.  

• Like 1

Royal is allowing people who test positive to get a refund or FCC. That is not the same as the COVID assistance, which expires for both lines at the end of April.

COVID assistance paid for quarantine and transportation expenses. Now that responsibility will be borne by the passenger. The recourse you speak of is to buy travel protection, and yes it is readily available today.

Royal and Celebrity have been quite generous in order to get people back to cruising, but realistically they can’t continue to pay all the expenses while still providing the cruise experience guests expect.

The free ride is over. I don’t know why this is a problem in a country that respects self-reliance in any other circumstance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree. I had not noticed the end date until recently. We do have CWC to use if needed prior to testing but they’re two totally separate programs. 

I have had conversations over the last two weeks with Lisa Lutoff Perlo’s office as to why has both Royal and Silversea extended their policy but not X. To date, no answers. The last person that I spoke to did think that the program would be extended but again nothing thus far. I just hope that all guests with cruises starting on or after 5/01 have travel insurance that covers Covid/protocols. If not they may be surprised if they’re denied boarding due to testing positive. 

Also, before anyone states that if you test positive and booked under CWC that you can use CWC if you test positive. No you can’t. You have to cancel 48 hours prior to your cruise and Celebrity has a calendar that they use. It is posted below and you would basically have to cancel three days prior to your cruise. 

750664F5-D75B-4407-BE06-7558FAC2A602.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

Royal is allowing people who test positive to get a refund or FCC. That is not the same as the COVID assistance, which expires for both lines at the end of April.

COVID assistance paid for quarantine and transportation expenses. Now that responsibility will be borne by the passenger. The recourse you speak of is to buy travel protection, and yes it is readily available today.

Royal and Celebrity have been quite generous in order to get people back to cruising, but realistically they can’t continue to pay all the expenses while still providing the cruise experience guests expect.

The free ride is over. I don’t know why this is a problem in a country that respects self-reliance in any other circumstance.

Botton line is that RCI and Silversea is still offering some recourse if you test positive and denied boarding. Celebrity is not, Also, all other major cruise lines have some type compensation in place to protect cruisers. Each one varies by line but they are offering help.  

• Like 1

Before purchasing, compare Cruise Care to other policies to be sure you are getting the best value. Third-party policies likely will have more generous trip delay benefits, which is the provision that will pay quarantine expenses, but they will be more expensive for older cruisers.

• Thanks 1

Also to be clear, RCI will offer a refund and not just an FCC for those testing positive prior to a cruise. Yes, they’re ending support for those testing positive on board but not prior to the cruise.

From RCI:

Guests will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge. 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal, for cruises departing on or before March 31, 2023.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19, for cruises departing on or before April 30, 2022.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before April 30, 2022.

From their contract.

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation
For all RCI cruises scheduled to sail between April 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023, inclusive:
• If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to RCI in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund or pro- rated FCC for the unused portion of your cruise fare in all other cases.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Botton line is that RCI and Silversea is still offering some recourse if you test positive and denied boarding. Celebrity is not, Also, all other cruise lines have some type compensation in place to protect cruisers. Each one varies by line but they are offering help.  

Well - except Carnival. But your  point is well-taken. Granting at least FCC seems reasonable since it is not as costly as the private jet scenario.

I can’t say why Celebrity is not following her sister cruise lines unless they have been harder hit by providing COVID assistance.

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

Well - except Carnival. But your  point is well-taken. Granting at least FCC seems reasonable since it is not as costly as the private jet scenario.

I can’t say why Celebrity is not following her sister cruise lines unless they have been harder hit by providing COVID assistance.

From Carnival - Receiving an FCC is at least taking care of their guests.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

DENIAL OF EMBARKATION OR REBOARDING; QUARANTINE AND/OR DISEMBARKATION

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival in the event of denial at embarkation, or a pro-rated refund of the unused portion of your cruise fare in all other cases. 
  • If you are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Carnival COVID-19 Guest Protocols in effect at the time of the cruise, you shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.
  • Like 2

It’s a bit confusing…all the different programs…travel certainly continues to be complicated right now..but I thoroughly enjoyed our two cruises on the Edge since the restart and hope I make it on board for our 9/3 Greek isles cruise…

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Hang tight. There is a TA call today about the Solstice/Millennium redeployment and other things. 

Well, I hope so - because it's the cost of the cruise!  To test positive and have no recourse, to lose thousands - lost!  Not even FCC!  Because that's where Celebrity has left us as of April 30.  I really don't think the majority of people understand this.  We can handle the hotels, the flights, but to give us NOTHING as far as the cost of the cruise??  That's just unfathomable to me.  Yes, yes, insurance, but let's put that aside for this discussion -  Celebrity should give us FCC or our cash back for the cost of the cruise.

• Like 1

Some cruise lines are now requiring proof of insurance that covers Covid issues as part of final payment. Sounds like a good idea, personal responsibility.  The insurance does not have to be through the cruise line.  Our cruise on Star Clippers next week started requiring it for the restart, insurance wasn't a requirement before.   Trip Insurance Store 😁

Celebrity can't keep paying for these incidents.  It is never positively known when/where people  contracted Covid.  The word has been out for quite a while, they published a final date...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If your concerned about the 48 hr cutoff for CWC it seems that testing a day early would be a option.  So test 3 days pre cruise if positive cancel under CWC.  If negative test again to comply with the pre-cruise testing requirement.

If I get the flu, bronchitis or some other illness  and  am unable to take my cruise I lose my money unless I have travel insurance.  Many say Covid will be with us for  a long time like the flu.  So my question is at what point would it be acceptable for X to drop aCovid assistance and treat Covid like any other illness?

• Like 5

If you take the Celebrity Insurance -  you cancel for any reason up till departure?

"In addition, CruiseCare® Cancel For Any Reason Cruise Vacation Enhancement make sure that in the event you choose to cancel for a reason not eligible under the plan, at any time up until departure, Celebrity will provide you with a cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Celebrity, for your use towards a future cruise (excluding Flights by Celebrity)."

So I guess starting May 1, if you test positive, you cancel for any reason and get 90% back.

I guess it's either take the insurance or take the risk.

13 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If your concerned about the 48 hr cutoff for CWC it seems that testing a day early would be a option.  So test 3 days pre cruise if positive cancel under CWC.  If negative test again to comply with the pre-cruise testing requirement.

If I get the flu, bronchitis or some other illness  and  am unable to take my cruise I lose my money unless I have travel insurance.  Many say Covid will be with us for  a long time like the flu.  So my question is at what point would it be acceptable for X to drop aCovid assistance and treat Covid like any other illness?

Does Celebrity “test” you before a cruise for things like you mentioned above? No. We’re not talking about travel insurance. I know what I was told by my Celebrity Vacation Planner when we booked this cruise and worrying about testing positive for Covid prior to the cruise. 

Just now, cruisingator2 said:

Does Celebrity “test” you before a cruise for things like you mentioned above? No. We’re not talking about travel insurance. I know what I was told by my Celebrity Vacation Planner when we booked this cruise and worrying about testing positive for Covid prior to the cruise was not to be an issue. 

3 minutes ago, kleibo said:

If you take the Celebrity Insurance -  you cancel for any reason up till departure?

"In addition, CruiseCare® Cancel For Any Reason Cruise Vacation Enhancement make sure that in the event you choose to cancel for a reason not eligible under the plan, at any time up until departure, Celebrity will provide you with a cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Celebrity, for your use towards a future cruise (excluding Flights by Celebrity)."

So I guess starting May 1, if you test positive, you cancel for any reason and get 90% back.

Actually, testing positive for COVID is a covered medical reason for cancelling - at least it is in most of the third-party policies - all off the ones sold at TripInsuranceStore. Confirm the language in CruiseCare. It may require a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis, but getting reimbursed 100% cash is more attractive than 90% FCC to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Or get a third (3rd) party insurance policy...

bon voyage

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Does Celebrity “test” you before a cruise for things like you mentioned above? No. We’re not talking about travel insurance. I know what I was told by my Celebrity Vacation Planner when we booked this cruise and worrying about testing positive for Covid prior to the cruise. 

Show X the email received for the argument...

in health and bon voyage

My point is that if you test positive, most of the cruise lines have extended their full cash refund or FCC policies, except Celebrity.  Cunard, Royal, Silversea, Carnival, Cunard, NCL, Holland America, and I am still researching so I am sure the list of "friendlier" lines is longer - Celebrity stands alone with this April 30 date of no refund, no FCC, if you test positive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

My point is that if you test positive, most of the cruise lines have extended their full cash refund or FCC policies, except Celebrity.  Cunard, Royal, Silversea, Carnival, Cunard, NCL, Holland America, and I am still researching so I am sure the list of "friendlier" lines is longer - Celebrity stands alone with this April 30 date of no refund, no FCC, if you test positive.

For those of us who have an issue with the short list we now have a list of lines to transfer to, just in case...

Knowing what I know, I will stick to the short list and be very careful with my interactions a few weeks in advance of my sailing and upon boarding and throughout the sailing.... and be insured!!!

bon voyage

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

For those of us who have an issue with the short list we now have a list of lines to transfer to, just in case...

Knowing what I know, I will stick to the short list and be very careful with my interactions a few weeks in advance of my sailing and upon boarding and throughout the sailing.... and be insured!!!

bon voyage

I just can't imagine that Celebrity will not extend the date.  As long as covid testing is mandatory, and people are denied boarding because of testing positive due to said mandatory testing - to then tell passengers oh too bad, off you go, no refund or FCC for you, get well soon, see ya - especially with generally speaking, most all of the other cruise lines extending the date (my research is not exhaustive, lol!) - I just can't see Celebrity doing this, not now.  

• Like 1