Road to Hana Tour

nle712

We are looking to book a Road to Hana Tour for 2 people. We will be on the POA cruise ship in August. I have been looking for recommendations for companies. I keep seeing Valley Isle come up, but they will only do the tour if they have a minimum of 8 people booked for the tour, which they don't have currently.

Does anyone have any tour companies that they would recommend? We do not want to drive the tour ourselves, it is nicknamed "Divorce Highway" and we don't want to experience that. As well as, we both want to enjoy it without having to worry about driving. 

On 4/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

It is highly unlikely that Valley Isle will not have a full bus booked, especially given a cruise ship is in port. I would not worry about them not having enough tourists.

I will be with Royal Caribbean.  Anyone who has done this tour - what is your opinion?  Is it as scary as it seems in pictures ?  Anyone get car sickness?

11 minutes ago, squadron said:

I will be with Royal Caribbean.  Anyone who has done this tour - what is your opinion?  Is it as scary as it seems in pictures ?  Anyone get car sickness?

I think it’s better to drive yourself. I’ve driven road to Hana 9 times since January in a Nissan rouge. The narrower the car the better. Last year in a convertible (very wide) it was MUCH more difficult. I would not call it “scary”. You do need to be aware, always. Locals drive aggressively so best to move out of their way quickly. It’s a long day for the driver, but there is great hiking and the views are exceptional. Shaka or the gypsy app is a must if you are driving independent of a tour.

However; if you are doing the tour with valley Isle is there is nothing to be nervous of. They do this daily. My first trip to Hana was with valley isle years ago. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nle712 said:

How would you rate the tour with Valley Isle? Have you used any other companies besides Valley Isle?

Valley isle was lovely. Picked is up from the condo on time. Nice breakfast included at the Dunn golf course  (that restaurant has since changed location so I’m not sure where they are taking you now). The guide was Maui born and entertaining. Very knowledgeable. Not afraid to suggest a 25% tip (as is relatively common on Maui), so don’t be surprised :). I was never nervous. After doing rth once with a tour company I didn’t understand where  all the hype about “scary” was coming from but everyone is different. Once with an expensive tour company was enough for me and since then I do the driving myself. 

Either way plan for a super lovely day!! 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, squadron said:

The road, at least the conventional Road to Hana (Kahului to Hana via Wailua) isn't scary, but car sickness is common among people who have motion sickness. Frankly it bores me to tears, but some people love it.

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:24 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think it’s better to drive yourself. I’ve driven road to Hana 9 times since January in a Nissan rouge. The narrower the car the better. Last year in a convertible (very wide) it was MUCH more difficult. I would not call it “scary”. You do need to be aware, always. Locals drive aggressively so best to move out of their way quickly. It’s a long day for the driver, but there is great hiking and the views are exceptional. Shaka or the gypsy app is a must if you are driving independent of a tour.

However; if you are doing the tour with valley Isle is there is nothing to be nervous of. They do this daily. My first trip to Hana was with valley isle years ago. 

Hi, we'll be doing this for the first time on Day 1 of an overnight in Maui (from the POA).  Do you suggest turning around once we get to Hana and head back to the ship or drive all the way around the island to enjoy more sightseeing?  Thanks!!!

4 hours ago, piginmud said:

Do you suggest turning around once we get to Hana and head back to the ship or drive all the way around the island to enjoy more sightseeing? 

I've done the Hana road about 14-15 times over the years-- personally I enjoy just going all the way around and not covering the same ground we did headed out. You see the island change from lush forest to barren desert and its very pretty. At very least you should drive past Hana to the Seven Pools and at that point it's just fun to keep going. 

Some folks will tell you that it's dangerous or that the roads are bad-- its really neither of those things. You do hit some dirt roads and some narrow switchbacks along cliffs along the water so if you are a nervous driver it might not be for you but its nothing that most people can't handle. 

Along the way you can stop and see Charles Lindbergh's gravesite, several historic churches, as well as a few more waterfalls. Once you get to the part of the road above Makena Beach there is also a winery. 

One of the bigger advantages of going all the way around is that you don't hit the crush of traffic headed back-- relatively few people drive all the way around. 

If you do go all thew way around make sure to stop and get something to eat and drink. Once you get past Hana there isn't much at all in terms of food or gas until you get back around the other side. Also be respectful of the locals-- you are not in a touristy side of the island and they aren't always thrilled people are around. Stick to the road and only park in areas that are designated. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I've done the Hana road about 14-15 times over the years-- personally I enjoy just going all the way around and not covering the same ground we did headed out. You see the island change from lush forest to barren desert and its very pretty. At very least you should drive past Hana to the Seven Pools and at that point it's just fun to keep going. 

Some folks will tell you that it's dangerous or that the roads are bad-- its really neither of those things. You do hit some dirt roads and some narrow switchbacks along cliffs along the water so if you are a nervous driver it might not be for you but its nothing that most people can't handle. 

Along the way you can stop and see Charles Lindbergh's gravesite, several historic churches, as well as a few more waterfalls. Once you get to the part of the road above Makena Beach there is also a winery. 

One of the bigger advantages of going all the way around is that you don't hit the crush of traffic headed back-- relatively few people drive all the way around. 

If you do go all thew way around make sure to stop and get something to eat and drink. Once you get past Hana there isn't much at all in terms of food or gas until you get back around the other side. Also be respectful of the locals-- you are not in a touristy side of the island and they aren't always thrilled people are around. Stick to the road and only park in areas that are designated. 

Awesome advice, thank you for all that information!!

I respectfully disagree with Princeton on this subject.

First: Be sure to check out your rental car agreement. Many prohibit the use of a rental car on the backside of Hana. You will not have cell service, and even if they allow you to drive the back side, they won't service the car if something happens. Just something to be aware of so be sure to ask lots of questions. The language is actually buried in the contract under 'unpaved roads' or something like that.

Second: The back side is a bit more sketchy than the front side. If it's raining, the back side can be downright scary. You must pay attention to the weather. I believe the back side of Hana has been completely washed out twice so far in 2022. 

You can always drive to Hana and then decide the return route based on comfort level of the driver and road conditions that day. The backside is more difficult driving than the front side, so if you driver is uncomfortable with the drive to Hana via Paia, they probably won't like the back side. 

If you do drive all the way to Hana, I recommend to keep going past Hana to Haleakala national park and do some hiking there (the bottom side where the mountain meets the ocean, not the top of the mountain where people go to see sunrise and sunset). A daily pass is good for 3 days and will work to get you to the top of Halelakala too. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, scottca075 said:

The road, at least the conventional Road to Hana (Kahului to Hana via Wailua) isn't scary, but car sickness is common among people who have motion sickness. Frankly it bores me to tears, but some people love it.

Completely agree with Scott on this tour we did it yesterday with Princess and have to say it’s one of the worst most boring excursions we have done. If you can’t or are afraid to drive this road you probably shouldn’t have a licence! It is as boring as batshit! 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 3:30 AM, tuffyiscruisin said:

Completely agree with Scott on this tour we did it yesterday with Princess and have to say it’s one of the worst most boring excursions we have done. If you can’t or are afraid to drive this road you probably shouldn’t have a licence! It is as boring as batshit! 

Hi,

we are on a Princess cruise in April and want to do Road to Hana. I was thinking of the ship tour…..how boring is it? What size of vehicle do they use and how many people on the tour? Do they stop often for pictures to be taken?

Hubby not keen on driving as he drives enough at home…looked at private tours but look very expensive 

50 minutes ago, ScotsLady said:

I was thinking of the ship tour…..how boring is it? What size of vehicle do they use and how many people on the tour? Do they stop often for pictures to be taken?

They are primarily done with minibuses. Would not be my first choice in how to do it. Hana really is best done on your own with a rental car-- it's the best balance of cost and flexibility. You'll stop at a few fixed points like Hana Town and some of them go onto the pools. But stops at things like waterfalls will depend on how busy it is when you get there and the availability of parking for a larger vehicle. 

Private tours are good if its actually private and you're driven in a more comfortable vehicle than the minibuses. Keep in mind that a lot of the "private tours" that are offered are in fact these minibus tours just being marketed to folks staying on the island. 

Frankly if you don't want to drive yourself I would just find something else to do that day. It's a LONG day crammed into a minibus. 

We land vacationed in Lahaina for a week and drove the Road to Hana ourselves.  It was a beautiful but very long day.  As the driver I was totally spent by the time we got back to civilization as you approach the airport which isn't far from the cruise dock. While beautiful, I would personally not commit the entirety of my day to the necessary minivan experience. I think I would personally prefer to go to Haleakala NP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 1:10 PM, ScotsLady said:

Hi,

we are on a Princess cruise in April and want to do Road to Hana. I was thinking of the ship tour…..how boring is it? What size of vehicle do they use and how many people on the tour? Do they stop often for pictures to be taken?

Hubby not keen on driving as he drives enough at home…looked at private tours but look very expensive 

We are probably on the same cruise in April (Sydney to L.A.), right?  We also consider doing Princess excursion Road to Hana, but haven't booked yet, mainly because my friend gets car sick very easily, and don't know if she will be able to handle the long ride in a minibus.  I am just guessing it will be a mini bus because the excursion indicates maximum of 20 persons.

Under the excursion "details", it tells you how long the tour stops at each place.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, 93yearsyoung said:

Hana would be very low on my list of things to do when on Maui for just one day. When you are staying two weeks or longer, as we have often done, it is nice to do at your own pace. I would never do a tour.

We will only have one port day in Maui.  Besides Road to Hana, what other things we can do there?  Thank you!

15 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

We will only have one port day in Maui.  Besides Road to Hana, what other things we can do there?  Thank you!

Go to some of the prettiest beaches in the world and relax, walk around Lahaina, go on a whale watch (in season).

The only reason I would ever suggest someone do the Road to Hana is if you were staying there for 1-2 weeks and wanted to mix it up for a day and explore different areas of the island. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

We are probably on the same cruise in April (Sydney to L.A.), right?  We also consider doing Princess excursion Road to Hana, but haven't booked yet, mainly because my friend gets car sick very easily, and don't know if she will be able to handle the long ride in a minibus.  I am just guessing it will be a mini bus because the excursion indicates maximum of 20 persons.

Under the excursion "details", it tells you how long the tour stops at each place.

Not sure we are on the same cruise . We are doing 15 night Hawaii round trip from LA on Crown Princess

20 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

We are probably on the same cruise in April (Sydney to L.A.), right?  We also consider doing Princess excursion Road to Hana, but haven't booked yet, mainly because my friend gets car sick very easily, and don't know if she will be able to handle the long ride in a minibus.

Assuming you are stopping at Lahaina, Maui, not Kahului, I REALLY would not do the road to Hana.

If you want an excursion, I'd go to Haleakala National Park, but Lahaina is an easy place to do your own thing. It just depends on what interests you.

It depends on the port. If you are stopping in Lahaina and it is your first time, I just like staying in Lahaina, shopping and eating.